The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
If I plan on towing a heavier load but not carrying it inside the van, is this still required?
My owner's manual states that to get the full 3600 lb tow capacity you MUST have a weight-distributing hitch system and tow package. Here's some more info from my manual:
3.6 auto without tow pack: max GCW is 7000 lbs, trailer frontal area not to exceed 22 square feet, passenger and driver max tongue weight 180 lbs (trailer total weight 1800 lbs)

WITH tow pack: max GCW is 8750 lbs, trailer frontal area not to exceed 40 square feet, passenger and drive max tongue weight 360 lbs (trailer total weight 3600 lbs)
Manual also states that any trailer over 1000 lbs should be equipped with its own braking system.

So is the load leveling suspension worth finding?
My personal opinion is YES. On my '11 Crew, even just loaded with 7 people the rear end sags quite noticeably. I plan on checking if I can add the "load leveling" suspension to mine. I believe it consists of the Nivomat shocks like the older generations could come with.

So it sounds like the 2011+ vans have the trailer tow pack of the 2008-10 vans, only minus the actual hitch/harness/load levelling suspension?
That's my understanding of what I've read, and what I've checked up on with the parts manager at my local dealer. Everyone gets the "heavy duty" cooling.

· Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
...That's my understanding of what I've read, and what I've checked up on with the parts manager at my local dealer. Everyone gets the "heavy duty" cooling.
Thats pretty cool, as it should help look after the powertrain. Although I do wish that we had the load levelling suspension. If you get a bunch of stuff, or a bunch of people in the back, the van does sit low in the back lol.

· Registered
88 Posts
Hi, i drive caravans daily at my job, and i also own a 2012 model.
Since 2011, the caravans we have on fleet have faired very good, none of them rattle like the pre 2011 models, no weird noises, just the regular minivan fare. We have some vans that reached up to about 25K miles, so they seem to have the kinks worked out. In comparsion, the 2010 models we had were falling apart at this milage. Clunks and rattles from the sliding doors, seats, and dash, lots of crap with the older ones.
Happy to say we haven't seen any transmissions failing, in the past 5 years.

· Registered
516 Posts
Happy to say we haven't seen any transmissions failing, in the past 5 years.
How high are the miles on the oldest vans with the 6-speed? What kind of maintenance are you doing with them?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.