The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Grand Caravan base model

There are 2 cigarette lighter outlets in the front near the floor. I know one is switched 12V. As soon as the ignition is turned off, voltage drops to zero. What about the other one (on the right)? I used to think it was a constant 12V. But when I connected a voltmeter to it, voltage dropped to zero less than a minute after key was removed. Am I mistaken? What I want to achieve is to connect a small solar charger to the battery, since the minivan is parked for days.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
273 Posts
The one on the right is the one I use to air up tires with the switch off. The one on the left has a picture of a key and the one on the right has a picture of a battery. If it doesn't have power, there is something wrong with the circuit.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Right should be constantly powered. Left can be either switched or constant depending on the fuse location (3 pin fuse slot).

Maybe your meter slipped of the leads or shorted it and blew the fuse.

Reactions: Rupert2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the plug that came with the solar trickle charger. It may not be making a good contact. I will test again with a different plug. No, I did not insert test probes directly into the socket.

By the way I just learned about the ACC/BATT select option for the left socket. Now I know why M7 fuse slot is bigger. Thank you, S, for the info.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I've had some accessory plugs that have so much spring force on the center pin that it will kick back when let go of, sometimes enough to hop off the contact. Those didn't have good tension on the side contacts, which may have helped hold it in the socket better. For those accessories, I put a 3 socket power strip in and will wrap rubber bands around the plug and the strip to hold them in contact.

I doubt the trickle charger from the solar panel has enough current to damage anything. You'd probably be lucky to get 5 amps out of it if it's like what I'm thinking. I have a small 1 foot square 12v solar panel and its output is barely enough to charge a phone on. Most phones charge at 1 amp, some as high as 3 amps. Can't remember which phone I tested it with, but when the panel was half shaded the charging cut out.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I was under the impression that there was a diode in the 12v outlet circuit and it would not allow a charging current.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Nothing of that sort in the diagrams. The left socket (cigar lighter in diagrams) has a resistive switch which serves the cigar lighter disconnect function. However there's nothing on any diagram about the M7 constant source. I would imagine it uses the same source as M36, which is the main bus bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
For solar panel, I used a 12x24 solar panel wired to charge regulator, wired to alligator clamps that I manually connect directly to battery. Mobile unit. Lift the hood to connect and disconnect.

Trickle maintenance only. Not enough juice to charge the battery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For solar panel, I used a 12x24 solar panel wired to charge regulator, wired to alligator clamps that I manually connect directly to battery. Mobile unit. Lift the hood to connect and disconnect.

Trickle maintenance only. Not enough juice to charge the battery.
It turned out to be a faulty plug. Since it is already purchased, I will give it a try. My goal is to slow down discharge for several days. What or where did you buy it?

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Pieced together from ebay, AliExpress, spare wire, jumper clamps parts. The reason I didn't use the lighter port is I have no idea what guage wire runs to the lighter and wanted minimal resistance from the solar panel to the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts