The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More on summer rubber at Price Check but felt this tire was worth mentioning again.

Continental True Contact Tour Tire (25% discounted)
225/65R17 102T; $575.96; UTQG 800/A/B; 145,000 km rating; Casing-Single polyester plie, Tread-2 steel plies with spirally wound nylon overlay; Weight: 25.93 lb.

This is a very highly rated tire with over 2.5M miles reported: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST
The two tires above it have way less miles reported. As the reported miles go up, the rating tends to go down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got these in two of my cars, the 2016 29P DGC and our Chevy Sonic...

Quiet on the highway, rides and tracks nicely, traction is good on the dry and wet, and adequate in snow...

Upset that Conti-General doesn't make them in a size that fits my F150...

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
We opted against Continental and Michelin due to our experiences with them once they get around 30-40k miles on them.
While they're great tires when new, it seems once they get under 7-8/32 tread they start getting noisy on the highway and begin losing gripping ability for snow/wet conditions.

We opted for General Alitmax RT43s this time around. We couldn't be happier. They are smooth and quiet on the highway, they handle excellent in the snow/wet, and even now at 40k miles show no signs of traction loss or increased noise.

They come in around $120/tire, but can be bought on buy one get one promotions for just over $90/tire. By far the best bang for your buck all season available right now IMO.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RT43 is a good value tire. General Tire is a part of Continental Tire.
GenCorp sold General Tire to German tire maker Continental AG in 1987. General Tire still exists today as part of Continental's American operations.
I think some of General's tires are made in Germany, believe I saw that on the sidewall of their Altimax Arctic snow tires I had. Great winter tire though.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
885 Posts
I got the Continental True Contacts a few years ago from Canadian Tire when they had the 25% off sale (The only time I'd get my car serviced there). When new, they had excellent road noise and with very good traction in rain or snow.

Now that they're about 5 years old, small tiny cracks are beginning to appear between the threads and judging by the remaining tread, I doubt the tread can last 145,000KM. Like Long_Voyager experienced, the grip isn't as good as it ages, noticed it's easier to spin the tires coming off a red light if i accelerate hard.

Overall, would be a good tire for someone who drives a lot. For a low mileage driver like me, the age will get to the tires before the mileage.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 50% worn tire will perform different than a new tire. Better fuel mileage and better dry stopping distance.
Noisier, harder, and worse wet traction.

Reactions: Marcus71

·
Registered
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi AWD
132 Posts
I have these on my 97 and they seem to be well suited to the van. I like the noise, ride and handling but I haven't driven on them in the wet yet. They were older stock on clearance at my local CT but they aren't too old to be unsafe (dated October 2018, so still good for another 3+ years). Van had Michelins all its life but I decided against another set because they've suffered from severe dry rotting issues for the past decade or so.

Unrelated: the new rubber brought the proper steering feel of the van back because the old ones were so hard.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up the Continental True Contact Tour tires at Canadian Tire last night. Ordered them online March 31st and they were suppose to be available for pickup 8:00 pm on April 1st. They April fooled me, not giving me notification to pickup until April 5th. Not surprising though, hey Miron?
P225/65R17
Made in USA
Two made 0620, other two 0820
Tread wear: 800
Traction A,
Temperature: B
Max. Inflation: 44 psi
Standard Load
Tread: One polyester, two steel, one polyamide
Sidewall: One polyester

Tread looks open enough to provide some winter snow traction. The grooves along the sides are very wide too, helps in winter.

They have DWS wear monitoring system which I don't know much about yet.

A very impressive tire for sure.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
637 Posts
The Continental DWS tires Extremecontact DWS06 tires on my GTO have the DWS in the tread too. They're molded at different depths, so once the S is gone, they are only good for Dry and Wet roads. Once the W is gone, they're only recommended for dry roads. My previous tires were the Extremecontact DW tires, which were great in temps above 40 degrees, but were too hard/slick in colder temps and wore out in less than 20k miles.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Continental DWS tires Extremecontact DWS06 tires on my GTO have the DWS in the tread too. They're molded at different depths, so once the S is gone, they are only good for Dry and Wet roads. Once the W is gone, they're only recommended for dry roads. My previous tires were the Extremecontact DW tires, which were great in temps above 40 degrees, but were too hard/slick in colder temps and wore out in less than 20k miles.

They have alignment indicators too, little rectangular wear blocks in the tires, outer edge. What next?

What are Continental Tire’s QuickView Indicators?

Reactions: Westphal
1 - 11 of 11 Posts