The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Like Dan said, it's not clearance to the rotor but to the caliper that is the limiting factor. The 16" snowflake wheels did not touch the 4th gen caliper, but it was so close that I decided to give it a bit extra space "just in case". I ended up making a thin (.100") aluminum spacer just to provide that extra margin. You may or may not need it with the wheel you showed, best thing is to try it and then decide if you need a spacer.

Just to clarify - we're talking front brakes, not rear, right? For the rear, there is no difference between 3rd and 4th gen.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
Yes, the front.
I plan on nabbing the 16" GC ES wheels and 4th gen knuckles from the same salvage yard, I suppose I'll pull a wheel and find a 4th gen out there to throw it on to test fit. Considering I just put new 15" tires on my GV last month, keeping the current 10 spoke wheels would be nice.

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
I'm about to start gathering the parts for the front 4th gen brake swap and I'm wondering if any of the gurus know if the 16" wheels from the 98 to 2000 Grand Caravan will fit the 290mm rotors, preferably without spacers?
These are what the factory wheels I was wanting looked like.
The answer is kinda-sorta-maybe. Why?

Those were the wheels we had on our 1998 DGC Sport; one day our 2003 DGC ES got a flat and the spare tire was stuck, so I pulled a wheel off our 1998 and put it on the 2003. The good news is it bolted right up; the bad news is the offset is incorrect and the back of the wheel was in direct (and firm) contact with the side of the front brake caliper. So, what I *suspect* is the case is, you can probably mount the wheel on the rear of a Gen 4 van with 4-Wheel disc brakes, but you'll need spacers for the front wheels.

One possible caveat; the 2003 DGC had recently had a front brake job with new rotors and pads, I suspect if the pads were say, half gone, there would have been no clearance issue.

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
472 Posts
I browsed through this entire thread and am interested in the rear disc swap to my 99 TC Limited, FWD.

One question I have is the point Lyonkster repeatedly made: the parking brake cable is a PITA!

So: can I re-use my existing drum parking brake cable in this swap, or do I have to use the 4th gen disc one?

Another point made in this thread is that the brake line needs to be flared to accommodate the 4th gen flex brake hoses. If that is true, then it can be a challenge to a newb who has never done this before. ;)

I sell a few Dodge Neon parts. One of the items I've sold the most is the rear disc setup. People do this for the look and perhaps for the better braking power.

A great thread! (y)

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
472 Posts
One more question:

When you convert the 3rd gen rear drum to disc brakes, do you need a wheel spacer for the rear wheels? This is assuming you will be using brand new rotors and brake pads.

My van is a 99 TC, Limited, which has those chrome 15-spoke rims. Or, at least, I think there are 15 spokes. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I browsed through this entire thread and am interested in the rear disc swap to my 99 TC Limited, FWD.

One question I have is the point Lyonkster repeatedly made: the parking brake cable is a PITA!

So: can I re-use my existing drum parking brake cable in this swap, or do I have to use the 4th gen disc one?

Another point made in this thread is that the brake line needs to be flared to accommodate the 4th gen flex brake hoses. If that is true, then it can be a challenge to a newb who has never done this before. ;)

I sell a few Dodge Neon parts. One of the items I've sold the most is the rear disc setup. People do this for the look and perhaps for the better braking power.

A great thread! (y)
Wow, I don't know what happened to all the pictures I posted, Photobucket (who can rot in ****) made them all blurry.

As I recall, I had to make a frankenstein e-cable, but other years are easier. The '99 might be easier, but I can't tell for sure.

Flaring a brake tube is not hard (you want to do a double flare), but as with all things brake-related, please do it right. You don't want to lose your brakes due to a poorly flared tube.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
One more question:

When you convert the 3rd gen rear drum to disc brakes, do you need a wheel spacer for the rear wheels? This is assuming you will be using brand new rotors and brake pads.

My van is a 99 TC, Limited, which has those chrome 15-spoke rims. Or, at least, I think there are 15 spokes. :)
My van had 16" snowflake wheels, and they did not need any spacers for the rear calipers. I'm assuming the same is true for 15" wheels, but you'll have to check it for yourself.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
I have a set of rear discs, I actually yanked the whole axle out of a T&C AWD.
I'm tempted to find a 4th gen axle and see if it will physically bolt up, and if it weighs less since it's stamped instead of cast.

The rear disc brake was equipped on AWD, Not all of them had 16" wheels. I will throw one of my old 15" 10 spoke Grand Voyager alloys on one to check though.

The cables seemed very different, but It's been a while since I looked. I bought 2 of the 3 cables, I could do the swap in about 2 weeks and let you know how it goes?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I have a set of rear discs, I actually yanked the whole axle out of a T&C AWD.
I'm tempted to find a 4th gen axle and see if it will physically bolt up, and if it weighs less since it's stamped instead of cast.

The rear disc brake was equipped on AWD, Not all of them had 16" wheels. I will throw one of my old 15" 10 spoke Grand Voyager alloys on one to check though.

The cables seemed very different, but It's been a while since I looked. I bought 2 of the 3 cables, I could do the swap in about 2 weeks and let you know how it goes?
If you have the rear discs from the AWD, just use those. A complete axle from 4th gen will NOT bolt in easily, it's more work to do it that way. See my first post in this thread.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
229 Posts
If you have the rear discs from the AWD, just use those. A complete axle from 4th gen will NOT bolt in easily, it's more work to do it that way. See my first post in this thread.
Well, I'd only try the 4th gen axle if it was lighter, since it is stamped steel.

The reason they changed the front spindles from steel to aluminum on the 4th gen was to reduce unsprung weight by 15lbs. There is the potential for a significant improvement in ride quality and handling performance if the rear axle is lighter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Well, I'd only try the 4th gen axle if it was lighter, since it is stamped steel.

The reason they changed the front spindles from steel to aluminum on the 4th gen was to reduce unsprung weight by 15lbs. There is the potential for a significant improvement in ride quality and handling performance if the rear axle is lighter.
Fair enough, maybe it's worth the effort then. Just assess the work required first. I don't think the unsprung weight is nearly as important on a solid rear axle as it is on the IFS, but maybe it is.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts
About this Discussion
110 Replies
24 Participants
lyonkster
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing