The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I parked our 08 T&C (3.8). As I walked to the house I heard a big splat. I saw a puddle under the front. I heard boiling and opened the hood. The coolant was boiling in the reservoir and boiled over the overflow. I turned the car back on and the temp gauge was dead center normal. I started it and let it idle. It stopped and hasn’t happened again that I know of. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
Somebody overfilled your reservoir. The coolant expanded from the heat of the engine at shut down (all of a sudden, no circulation of coolant but still lots of heat to dissipate). Some engines use to have their fan running for a few minutes after shutdown. A 2.6L Mitsubishi engine in a 1981 K-Car did that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somebody overfilled your reservoir.
I don't believe it can be overfilled by much, can it?
I had topped off a few days before this happened. But only to the full line on the reservoir. Then we drove it on a 4 hour trip. If it was over filled, that should have came out during that trip. But we drove it a few days after. And why would it be boiling and not on the hot side of the gauge?

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
Coronavirus maybe? :)

Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator and the reservoir. Stay 6' away. :)

Max. line with the engine cold maybe?. If so, that will do it. Should fill to the min. line with engine cold. Those lines can be hard to see.

A little different set of circumstances from one day to the next,

The gauge, well, not very accurate as to actual temperature. Notice how it stays more or less in one spot while the coolant temperature is actually going up and down several degrees. The coolant was expanding some on shutdown, not extremely hot when circulating.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,670 Posts
I always fill recovery bottle all the way until it starts pouring out, never, ever had a problem.

Has to be something else.

Keep an eye on the radiator fan, make sure it is working as it should.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been watching for over heating, but it’s not. The radiator was replaced about 3 years ago and the fan works good. Idk.

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
I had topped off a few days before this happened. But only to the full line on the reservoir. Then we drove it on a 4 hour trip. If it was over filled, that should have came out during that trip. But we drove it a few days after. And why would it be boiling and not on the hot side of the gauge?
If you are thinking that there's an internal engine problem, like exhaust gases getting into the coolant, then ask yourself "why hasn't that happened again?".

If you have severe overheating, the gauge will show it and eventually, if bad enough, lights will start flashing.

You aren't there so far, but keep monitoring coolant levels to see what might be happening

·
3rd gen > all others
2,714 Posts
Check the two plastic "Y"s in the rear heater hoses; one under the brake booster and the other just behind the intake manifold/coil pack. They will crack and leak slightly at first, and you may not notice it. If the system is hot and loses pressure, it will boil over easier. Had a '92 Chevy Corsica with a slightly leaking throttle body heater hose leaking that did this. Once the bad hose was found and replaced, no more problems.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good suggestion about the radiator cap. Lower pressure will lower the boiling point of water and therefore may not register on the gauge.
But keep an eye on it and always have at least a jug of water in the vehicle until you sort this out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I always fill recovery bottle all the way until it starts pouring out, never, ever had a problem.
??? Coolant expands a lot with temperature, hence the "Full Cold" and "Full Hot" lines. If you fill it right to the top, it has nowhere to expand and will overflow. There is also a risk the overflow tank will rupture from excess pressure.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,670 Posts
??? Coolant expands a lot with temperature, hence the "Full Cold" and "Full Hot" lines. If you fill it right to the top, it has nowhere to expand and will overflow. There is also a risk the overflow tank will rupture from excess pressure.

That's an urban legend.

Recovery tank is equipped with an overflow safety discharge, what that is, you can not fill it up all the way to the top. Few inches before coolant reaches the top, it will start pouring out.

Try filling it up all the way to the top, you'll quickly find out it is impossible to keep coolant level up to the top.

In our vehicles, recovery bottle coolant is open to the atmosphere, is not under pressure. Even the recovery bottle cap is held fairly loose.

Now, you still believe the overflow bottle will explode for excess pressure? ?

Full Cold-Full Hot lines are there as a reference only, manufacturers think of everything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree with Levy on this one. This forum is specific to Chrysler and Dodge models, and the OP is specifically about an 08 model, so we know the overflow bottle is not pressurized. No reason bringing up scary sounding examples of damaged cooling systems by overfilling.

And as the name suggests, an overflow bottle is just that and cannot technically be overfilled because it will, as the name suggests, overflow, even if it means spilling coolant outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my 08 Grand Caravan last year. The gauge never showed any sign of overheating and I couldn't get my head around what might have caused it. I tried a new thermostat anyway since it was a cheap starting point and it hasn't happened since.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,501 Posts
A few weeks ago, I parked our 08 T&C (3.8). As I walked to the house I heard a big splat. I saw a puddle under the front. I heard boiling and opened the hood. The coolant was boiling in the reservoir and boiled over the overflow. I turned the car back on and the temp gauge was dead center normal. I started it and let it idle. It stopped and hasn’t happened again that I know of. Any ideas?
Look under the splash shield and check the water pump for residue on the bottom. Had a hard to diagnose problem with mine, turned out to be a leaking pump. My experience with 3.8 pumps, plan to replace them every 60k or suffer the consequences.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts