The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back my 2010 t&c started to leak coolant. I swaped out the coolant inlet pipe(y pipe) from the plastic melted pipe to an aluminum y pipe. Then a week later there was still coolant disappearing but I couldn't see a leak. Then I started to see where it was something was leaking at the firewall because it was soaked so I tightened the hoses on to the heated air tubes. Made sure all the clamps were tight ect. Still it was leaking then someone told me it was my heater core. So I bought one. Then before replacing I trouble shoot.. someone told me it was the tube. So I had to order online @ factoryChryslerparts.com the heated air tubes (the aluminum tubes that connect to the heater core and come out the firewall then hoses connect to the nipples of the tubes) after getting them I take things apart pull the tubes out but see no visible cracks put water through them still nothing. So what else at the firewall could be leaking coolant? Please help I'm in desperate need to have this fixed I start a new job soon. Anyone have this issue before. I am changing the heated air tubes, the heater core, and putting a few new hoses on but why would the whole firewall from where the tubes come out from all the way under the master cylinder while driving it sprays out all over the engine.. thanks in advance for any information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah to late for that a mechanic told me it was the heated air tubes so i already have everything broke down. I have decided to change all the hoses the heater core and tubes hopefully it fixes the problem

·
3rd gen > all others
2,828 Posts
Did you swap out BOTH of the factory plastic Y-pipes? There's the obvious one connected to the lower intake manifold, and the other one is under the brake booster, behind the battery. They like to hairline crack and spray under pressure, and that spray can go all over depending which way the crack is facing. Bad choice of material on Chrysler's part. It's not about if they are cracked, it's when, so might as well replace them both to prevent a future breakdown.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did you swap out BOTH of the factory plastic Y-pipes? There's the obvious one connected to the lower intake manifold, and the other one is under the brake booster, behind the battery. They like to hairline crack and spray under pressure, and that spray can go all over depending which way the crack is facing. Bad choice of material on Chrysler's part. It's not about if they are cracked, it's when, so might as well replace them both to prevent a future breakdown.

THIS! There is another Y that runs vertically at the firewall. There is the plastic Y and a plastic quick connector, both of them are prone to leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
THIS! There is another Y that runs vertically at the firewall. There is the plastic Y and a plastic quick connector, both of them are prone to leak.
I replaced BOTH hoses yesterday - the "Heater Inlet" and "Heater Outlet" hose assemblies. Each has a plastic Y pipe, and one has a stubby hose with plastic crimp ends, and something was seeping. Likely something PLASTIC. I installed Dorman 626-315HP replacement kit, which has both hose assemblies and METAL y-pipes, and the install went fairly smoothly. A cable-actuated spring clamp tool made the swap way easier than using channel locks...

Usual effort to burp the system (fill, bleed, rev about six times), but eventually got enough air out to get coolant flow and heat. Only five miles on it but so far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts