The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We have a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country with a strange coolant leak. It started last year. The van only leaks coolant when it’s really cold outside when it’s first started. The leak is on the front passenger side of van. During the summer months it doesn’t leak a drop, only during the winter when it gets really cold. I have searched for this leak and cannot find where it’s coming from. Anti-freeze also gets on the belt and makes it more difficult to trace leak. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony Gamache
[email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've experienced this on a number of older cars - couple of drops of bright green coolant in the snow. Never located the source and never lost much coolant either. My theory is because the cooling system is under pressure, as the engine cools a bit of coolant escapes at a hose end.

Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a random leak from my radiator cap - the seal in the cap was deformed and most of the time it was fine just every now and then it would leak a little.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Cold temperature leaks aren't uncommon for connections on oil lines, ac lines and coolant lines.

Water pump could have a small leak, the spring type clamps may be weak, pipe connection to the water pump (o-rings) may be affected by the cold. Perhaps an application of Bar's stop leak would seal the leak for good.

Bars: https://barsleaks.com/product/radiator-stop-leak-concentrate-1196/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further inspection I found the leak!
I let the van sit for several hours so the motor was cool, and cleaned everything I could with break/parts cleaner. I squeezed the upper radiator hose several times. I noticed fluid on the belt directly under the thermostat housing (which is plastic). Come to find out it was the thermostat gasket. Replaced thermostat, housing, gasket, and upper radiator hose. Problem solved. Ordered everything from
rockauto.com.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Good job. (y)

Did you reuse the old clamp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts