The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy who has an 07 TnC limited is having a regular issue where using the cancel button will also turn off cruise control, instead of just canceling the cruise.

Today I also experienced the same thing but only once, on repeated tests it did not happen again.

Is there any history or knowledge on this? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. Haven't looked at wiring diagram yet either.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,267 Posts
A buddy who has an 07 TnC limited is having a regular issue where using the cancel button will also turn off cruise control, instead of just canceling the cruise.

Today I also experienced the same thing but only once, on repeated tests it did not happen again.

Is there any history or knowledge on this? I tried searching but didn't come up with anything. Haven't looked at wiring diagram yet either.
Typical problem with these vans.

There are replacements on Rockauto.com to buy. Or like me, I've been too chicken and don't want to mess with removing the wheel with a LIVE airbag module to replace that device on the right side of the wheel.

So, I just learn to turn on cruise and set it. Tap the brake to cancel it. Then repeat.

Additionally, I was told that even the new button device may need to be opened up and the old one to replace a resistor just in case the new one has the wrong resistor. Chances of finding a good one in a pull-a-part is difficult. It could work awhile and then fail again. These vans are getting old. LOL

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
282 Posts
I replaced the cruise switches on my 2005 (both sides of the wheel) with used eBay parts a few years ago. They got to the point that even "tapping up" to increase speed turned the system off. No issues in several years.

No worries with the airbag. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery terminal for two minutes before removing:

WARNING: Wait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before beginning any airbag system or component service. Failure to do so may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury or death.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've been too chicken and don't want to mess with removing the wheel with a LIVE airbag module to replace that device on the right side of the wheel.
don't fear the airbag, as long as you disconnect battery and discharge there is no risk, it can't detonate properly without the electrical pulse

no need to even disconnect the airbag from the clockspring for the procedure, or to pull the wheel

·
Registered
282 Posts
So what is the problem? The buttons? Resistor in the buttons starts to drift?
Don't really know. Never thought about forensics for a 10-dollar switch & 10-minute job.

When mine would cut off when hitting almost any button on the right-hand side, it was a logical assumption the switch was getting flaky - especially because my cruise has seen a lot of duty in 17+ years, with lots of button-tapping.

Replaced that switch in 2016 and haven't had a problem since.

Here's an NOS part on eBay for sub-$30:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts