The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling I’ll be seeing some rusty openings in my passenger side dogleg after this winter. Though I fill the doglegs with Fluid Film annually (with a long hose kit and having poked holes in the foam to allow penetration), the bubbles are growing.
In the past I sand and bondo, but that isn’t a solution. Anyone bought a dogleg and done any crimping and body gluing? I can’t weld. Body shops here refuse to do rust repair as they know it’s in vain.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Some shops have a welder guy that delves into body work. Somebody has to spot weld rocker panel covers on. Get the welder to do the patch and you do the rest or then go to a body shop and ask them to finish it up. They don't have to warranty the patch job.

Shops that weld on rocker panel covers can likely seal and paint also, spray bomb like. Remember that they weld exhaust systems together and will do some cutting and welding of frames. They can do the basic repair. Maybe a welder guy does bodywork in his spare time.

If you search online you will find prefabricated pieces for common rust areas, such as doglegs. The autobody shops have catalogs for such parts, so they don't have to make the curves themselves. Rust repairs are a pain and difficult to warranty.

Inside areas like doglegs, the Fluid Film (or whatever product) has to be highly atomized to fog over everything, especially around foam

·
Vendor
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put an exhaust system on my sons 2000 Camry yesterday. I had fluid filmed that car two years ago and was amazed at how little it had rusted since. Toyota does not use foam, which is the killer in Dodge vans and Ram trucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts