The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just noticed that the dashboard cover on my vehicle (2003 Dodge Caravan SE) is sticking up on both sides (but not in the middle). The picture below shows the passenger side. The driver's side is identical. Not sure what could have caused this.

Had some work done on the car a few weeks ago (smoke test for evap leak; cannister purge value replacement; replacement of a wire in the wiring harness). I wonder if the took the cover out to work on the car and weren't able to put it back?

The cover seems to be warped, and there doesn't seem to be a way to put it back. Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, I guess I'll just tape it up with some duct tape.

Also: is there any danger to the vehicle if I leave it like that for a while (e.g., dust or moisture getting in)?

Thanks!

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Dash pads warp from the sun. Might have to go to the junkyard and get a good one. Lots of taupe colored interiors out there.

Reactions: Baron

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
this is happening to mine too, this has to do with the adhesive sticking the actual dash "pad" to it's plastic structure below, nothing snaps in or out on this piece

the pad shrinks, and plastic weakens from heat and the sun, the glue that adheres it to the plastic weakens over time

i can see your message center has also fallen victim from the same processes

it doesn't have anything to do with any work they did

if it's truly bothering, lather some type of upholstery adhesive or glue under it and then leave a little weight on it overnight

look up the issue with the dash pad separating around the passenger airbag on first generation ford fusions, it's happened on almost all of them and it's very annoying, those guys have come up with a lot of fancy tricks to get it pinned back down that would apply perfectly here, it's the same type of dashboard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts