The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Just bought 2013 T&C. Nice van but was dissapointed that it does not have the very good and important safety feature DRLs.

I bought a 2006 Pacifica and it also did not first have them but a simple country code change to "Canada" in the car's system enabled them. Now the same dealer that I bought this car from says it is not possible any more.

I am having a bit of trouble to believe this as these same cars are sold in Canada where the DRL's are mandatory.

Can anyone shed light to this if it really is not possible like it used to be or is my dealer service blowing smoke?

Did not believe it is possible to buy a new car anymore without DRLs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thats a load of horse ****... :eekkkk::eekkkk:I have a 13' and had my Dealer enable DRL's when I bought it (This is before I was given access to the Chrysler Diagnostic Application software which I now make these changes myself.)

A simple switch of the Country Codes to CANADA and instant DRL's... You can even specify where you want them (Reduced Brightness High Beams, Signal/Marker Lamps or Fog Lamps). :blink:

Definitely talk to another Dealer or try and "educate" the Dealer where you purchased the van from.

Let me know how it goes!

Reactions: RT4ME and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
19 Posts
One(ok 3or4) quick question how did you get this software and how can i get one too and how do you connect to the van
i am looking at changing my datime lights to the turn signals if possible

·
Registered
228 Posts
One(ok 3or4) quick question how did you get this software and how can i get one too and how do you connect to the van
i am looking at changing my datime lights to the turn signals if possible
1. Have an Uncle who works for Chrysler in Detroit as a Lead Tech that gets sent to Dealerships when they are unable to diagnose and fix a problem... Unfortunately, not available to the Public.

2. Connect to the Van with a Mongoose SCI/Can Interface... Runs about $425.00, so it's not cheap... :Wow1:

3. The CDA Software is very very powerful... Can render the entire vehicle in-operable with 1 wrong click... At the same time, it is very customizable, and thus allows you to specify DRL Location.

I would HIGHLY recommend talking to your Dealer or another Dealer again and have them enable the DRL's for you... It will take them less than 10 minutes if they are competent enough and know what they are doing!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Vehicles equipped with this option or manufactured for sale in Canada illuminate the high beam filament of both headlamps at a reduced intensity when the engine is running, the parking brake is released and the exterior lamps are turned OFF.

The TIPM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled. The dealership has the ability to make the appropriate changes to the TIPM. Once enabled, anytime the TIPM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the PCM indicating the engine is running and from the EMIC indicating the status of the headlamp switch exterior lighting input is OFF and that the parking brake is released, the TIPM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulb filaments through the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.

Reactions: smgussey

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Have an Uncle who works for Chrysler in Detroit as a Lead Tech that gets sent to Dealerships when they are unable to diagnose and fix a problem... Unfortunately, not available to the Public.

2. Connect to the Van with a Mongoose SCI/Can Interface... Runs about $425.00, so it's not cheap... :Wow1:

3. The CDA Software is very very powerful... Can render the entire vehicle in-operable with 1 wrong click... At the same time, it is very customizable, and thus allows you to specify DRL Location.

I would HIGHLY recommend talking to your Dealer or another Dealer again and have them enable the DRL's for you... It will take them less than 10 minutes if they are competent enough and know what they are doing!

Ok, I inquired about thie DRL activation again and now my dealer is prepared to try. It sounds like they do not know about this.

Is it possible for you to give step-by-step instructions so that I could take it to my dealer and help them out? This would be a great help for me and hundreds of others.

Please!

Thanks!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I inquired about thie DRL activation again and now my dealer is prepared to try. It sounds like they do not know about this.

Is it possible for you to give step-by-step instructions so that I could take it to my dealer and help them out? This would be a great help for me and hundreds of others.

Please!

Thanks!

Anything???

·
Registered
535 Posts

Please!

Thanks!

Well thing is shouldn't the dealer be able to get this info from Chrysler, or from a lead tech who could visit their dealership, and show them how to do it.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thing is shouldn't the dealer be able to get this info from Chrysler, or from a lead tech who could visit their dealership, and show them how to do it.
Chrysler engineering told them that it cannot be done. Either they don't want to do it or it is true that it is not possible meaning that our "friend" 08GCSE is one of those just jumping in the forums and blowing smoke.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I chose the location I did to do the least amount of damage necessary, only two holes drilled per bracket, it was easier to route the wires too. I'll take a few pics when I get a chance to show which wire to tie into for the parking light circuit to get the dim down feature from.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Chrysler engineering told them that it cannot be done. Either they don't want to do it or it is true that it is not possible meaning that our "friend" 08GCSE is one of those just jumping in the forums and blowing smoke.
Blowing smoke? Just because your dealerships are incompetent doesn't mean I am blowing smoke... I have owned Chrysler vehicles almost all of my life in several different states (Illinois, Michigan, Massachusetts, Maine & New Hampshire) and I have ALWAYS been able to have DTRL enabled on ALL of my vehicles after 2000 at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Dealership. The most simple way for them to do this is Changing the Country Code from US to CANADA, A VERY VERY SIMPLE CHANGE via a WiTech or Starscan Tool. Any level 1 Technician SHOULD have the knowledge to do this... HOWEVER, technicians and Service Managers can get very sensitive and DO NOT like when the customer knows more than them. I have also attached a link to another forum site (Chrysler 300) with SEVERAL POSTS on how easy it was for them to have their Dealership enable DTRL.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ge...scan-besides-enable-drl-what-else-can-do.html

Also just purchased a new 2013 200 for my wife and used my Chrysler Diagnostic Application and enabled DTRL on her car (Fog Lights)... Just 1 extra step from any Dealership just using the Starscan or WiTech... (Able to choose location of DTRL).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would also LOVE to know how Chrysler Engineering told them it couldn't be done... Whoever they spoke to at Chrysler Engineering should IMMEDIATELY be terminated and find another source of employment if they don't even know what their software/devices/cars are capable of doing... Unbelievable!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would also LOVE to know how Chrysler Engineering told them it couldn't be done... Whoever they spoke to at Chrysler Engineering should IMMEDIATELY be terminated and find another source of employment if they don't even know what their software/devices/cars are capable of doing... Unbelievable!

If you are so sure that DRL's can be enabled on the 2013 model year chrysler T&C why don't you post detailed instructions of how to do it? That should not be a problem for you as you have access to the software and all...

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you are so sure that DRL's can be enabled on the 2013 model year chrysler T&C why don't you post detailed instructions of how to do it? That should not be a problem for you as you have access to the software and all...
Arrie, Are you seriously kidding me right now??? Lose the smarta$$ attitude or no one on here will help you.

I have a 2013 so I am 100% sure the DTRL's can be enabled, as I have them!

As I have stated SEVERAL times before... The CDA software I have is completely different than the StarScan or StarScan Mobile Software that the Dealers have access too... The software I use is for Lead Technicians in Detroit that get sent to Dealerships when a problem arrises requiring higher than Dealer Level Access...

Just so you can put your foot in your mouth... (I am so aggravated with you right now)

Change the Country Code from USA to Canada (Under Dealer Preparation)
Then From Starscan Main Menu
ECM View, then
TIPMGCW, then
MISC OPTIONS, then
DRL ENABLE, then
Follow the directions on the screen
Make sure to Click FINISH when prompted

**** NOTE
When using the StarScan and a notice MAY appear that the vehicle is not certified or equipped to have this function. (Depending on software version of StarScan/StarScan Mobile) If this occurs, First change the country code for the vehicle to Canada and then DTRL's can be activated. After they are enabled, simply change the country code back to USA.
Below is a SMALL list of features that can be programmed with the StarScan...

Here's the menu in the Dealer Preparation tab of the Starscan.

-Unlock driver door on first press

-Auto door lock/unlock

-Accessory time delay- 0 sec, 45 sec, 5 min, 10 min, 30 min

-Radio clock on/off

-Illuminated entry time- 0 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec

-Country code- ROW, USA, Europe, Canada, England, Japan

-Program tire size

-Enable fog lamp

-Headlamps on with wipers (requires auto headlamp option)

-Restore Vehicle Config

-Sound horn on lock

-Program Network config (used to add or remove a module from CAN bus)

-Flash headlamps on lock

-Trailer tow relay outputs

-Add NAV radio

-Enable DRL

-FCM horn chirp duration

-Headlamp time delay

-Reset ECU (radio)

-Program keys or FOBs (WCM)

Reactions: CavVet and UN4GTBL

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Please maintain civility in this thread. I would hate to have to lock it down.

That being said, 08, have you enabled them on your 2013?
Chrysler Cares has repeatedly mentioned in the various DRL threads "Vehicles equipped with this option or manufactured for sale in Canada". This tells me that it isn't possible for some vans. That is what my service department told me with my 2011. I haven't had them check the 2013 yet.
It doesn't seem logical that they would make 2 different vans if it is a check away from enabling or disabling them.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.