The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed quad headlights (The HID's) into my 2009 Grand Caravan which had the original dual headlights only with the high beam and low beam as one bulb. When I swapped over, I used programming to enable the quad headlights config, as well as the Xeon headlamps.

Now living in Canada (May change for the US), all the Dodge and Chrysler vans with quad headlights (both non HID and HID versions) use the inner high beam bulbs as daytime running lights at reduced power, opposed to the outer low beam lights and seems to be common for most other vehicle manufacturers.
DRL's turn on when the engine is running, headlights are off or in auto position and it's day, parking brake is not engaged and DRL's turn on when the shift lever is moved out of park into any gear.

But my van will only allow the low beam (HID's) to run as DRL's, so I tried to switch the config from "Low beam DRL" to "High beam DRL". However, this resulted in no lights coming on at all until I pulled the turn signal lever towards me (as if to flash-to-pass), then it turned both the low beam on and also the high beams to full intensity and they stayed at full power even after letting go of the indicator lever. I checked the voltage regulation for DRL's in alfa, and they were set from the factory to 7V for both sides, I didn't mess with them.
I also tried setting the fog lights to DRL's when i initially installed them 2 years back and I remember they did the same thing, they turned on only when I pressed the fog light button.

So the question is, am I missing something? What else do I need to enable or disable to get the high beams only to turn on as DRL's and leave the HID's off until the headlights themselves turn on? I'd like them to work as they would if the van came with them from the factory!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
I don't think HID and Xenon settings are compatible.

Side note: Why would you want to come to the US? We elected 2 senile old men in the last presidential elections and you'll lose that free healthcare. Only reason I'm not moving to Canada is I hate cold weather, though global warming might be evening out the climate for the whole continent within the next decade.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think HID and Xenon settings are compatible.

Side note: Why would you want to come to the US? We elected 2 senile old men in the last presidential elections and you'll lose that free healthcare. Only reason I'm not moving to Canada is I hate cold weather, though global warming might be evening out the climate for the whole continent within the next decade.
Hmm, are there different settings in alfa for HID or Xenon? All I want is for the headlights to function as they would from the factory, which they aren't doing right now. I'm surprised they aren't working correctly being I can change the DRL location and voltages (Canadian version), which makes me believe I'm still missing something in programming.

I don't think I'll ever be moving to the states, I'm good here! :p

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Ah, I think I misunderstood the "Now living in Canada (May change for the US)". You must have meant: "Now, in Canada (May be different for the US)". :p

Checked my AlfaOBD logs. My light settings are Quad, HID, Canada DRL, High Beam DRL. No Xenon.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Michalb

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I think I misunderstood the "Now living in Canada (May change for the US)". You must have meant: "Now, in Canada (May be different for the US)". :p

Checked my AlfaOBD logs. My light settings are Quad, HID, Canada DRL, High Beam DRL. No Xenon.
Yeah, I should have worded that better, sorry!

Thanks, I'll double check tomorrow!

·
Super Moderator
6,576 Posts
That's really weird. Maybe the quad headlight option is disabled in the computer for the 2008-2010 Caravans, as they don't physically have them from the factory? I saw that option on my Caliber, and it had the same headlight arrangement as the 2008-2010 Caravan.

Can you set your DRLs to your foglights? (disable the DRL dropout tho)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm back for an update.

Today I had some spare time to check programming for the DRL's, and boy did I spend a lot of time looking! I changed the vehicle brand to Chrysler, made no difference. I also clicked through all the DRL locations, and also tried different countries all to no avail.

After looking through alfaOBD, I revisited Bi Xenon Headlamps (which I changed to set when I added the T&C HID's), and then I realized what Bi Xenon actually means. It doesn't mean you have just HID headlights, it means your HID headlight is a low beam and also a high beam, the difference being it has a motor which drops a shield inside the projector when high beam is engaged. This made sense as to why both low and high beam come on at the same time, the computer thought there was no bulbs in the high beam slot, just a 12V circuit to drop a shield in the low beam projectors. So i then searched up "HID" and to no surprise found "HID Enable" in programming which was of course "not set". Changed it to "set" and changed the "Bi-Xenon enable" to "not set".

My HID headlights now function exactly like they would from the factory, DRL's are high beam at a reduced power, flash to pass is only the high beam lights, low beams come on when headlights come on, and both low beam and high beam lights are on for high beams with headlights on. Wonderful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts