The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Chrysler Town and Country has been at the dealer for almost a month now. Every 4 days the battery dies. They ran test and diagnostics and the battery is fine, so they claim. They charge it and on the clock every 4 days it dies. They replaced the wireless ignition module twice and installed a brand new battery yet nothing. They being draw tests on the electric unit and they show its draining but don't know what from still. They keep calling me to pick it up and its fixed and ends up being dead in the dealership when I get there. I have been in the rental almost a month, still back and forth with the dealer and no luck they have found nothing. Its been in there 10 times now with me never getting it back and no fix. It was escalated to case management and after all that drama I finally have a new case manager and should hear tomorrow about possibilities for buyback or replacement. Anyone else go through these programs??

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had an issue where my check engine light would come on then go off after they fixed it. Then the next time I drove it it would come back on. This went on for about 3 months. They were convinced that it was a computer fault. My case manager was very rude to me. She basically told me that Chrysler won't help me get into a new vehicle because it was not their problem. I need to keep driving my van until it finally completely broke down, Then they might be able to help, I was told. 3 days later with a van full of my son's friends in the pouring down rain on I4 (a road notorious for deadly accidents) the van goes into limp mode. I called my case manager from the side of the road to tell her the tale of my experience and she started kissing my butt. She sent my dealership $6,000 to trade up to a vehicle of my choice. I wanted a Grand Cherokee Summit...but the wife didn't see the excitement in it. So we got another T&C.

That was way longer that I wanted it to be so here is a summary, Chrysler does NOT care if you are happy or if your car is broke down. Once you pay the price and drive home in your new car they never want to see or hear from you again. Good luck getting a replacement vehicle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A parasitic draw of that level should have been fairly simple to locate what circuit it would have been on with Multi Meter or even one of the free harbor freight DVOM meters by setting it on the amps scale and unhooking the ground cable from the battery and connecting one lead to the battery and one lead to the disconnect negative battery cable and removing 1 fuse at a time until the load drops off of the meter typically they tell you to unhook the IOD circuit if the vehicle will sit for more than 20 days. Anything less than 20 days the vehicle should start up without an issue.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,910 Posts
My 2013 Chrysler Town and Country has been at the dealer for almost a month now. Every 4 days the battery dies. They ran test and diagnostics and the battery is fine, so they claim. They charge it and on the clock every 4 days it dies. They replaced the wireless ignition module twice and installed a brand new battery yet nothing. They being draw tests on the electric unit and they show its draining but don't know what from still. They keep calling me to pick it up and its fixed and ends up being dead in the dealership when I get there. I have been in the rental almost a month, still back and forth with the dealer and no luck they have found nothing. Its been in there 10 times now with me never getting it back and no fix. It was escalated to case management and after all that drama I finally have a new case manager and should hear tomorrow about possibilities for buyback or replacement. Anyone else go through these programs??
In order for your vehicle to qualify for the Buy Back program, you must file a complaint with your state Department of Motor Vehicles.

In case of Texas, you can look here: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law
NHTSA is your friend too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your story! I am hoping for good news tomorrow but am fully prepared to go ape crazy if it does not happen, this will be the last Chrysler I ever get!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Mine does not qualify under "lemon law" since I have owned it 20 months and VA law says 18 months here... so I am stuck at their mercy for buyback or replacement!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are so many ways they can find it but problem is they are not. We asked them to load test day one with the battery unhooked etc etc and they have to do the "approved" testing per Chrysler's warranty repairs ....

·
Super Moderator
24,109 Posts
My sense is that a battery drain of that magnitude should be findable with an experienced Mechanic on the job. Like already said, each fused circuit can be tested to eliminate the suspect one or isolate the source.
Do you have a towing package? Any aftermarket stuff installed like a remote start, for example?

Reactions: Alex and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they have been doing draw tests since Saturday.. they know its draining, but said they think its an intermittent module that is power cycling and draining and can't find it. with the meter on they can't monitor it "24x7" its a fully loaded van, has the remote start package, no towing package

·
5000 Club
5,719 Posts
Since they aren't seeing it you might suggest pulling the fuses for the most suspected circuits, say 2 or 3 at a time, leave them out and check again the next day to see if it's drained. If they discover the battery isn't drained again they at least narrowed the problem to one of those 2 or 3 circuits. Then they would do the same for each of those 2 or 3 circuits one at a time to find the real culprit.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,910 Posts
Since they aren't seeing it you might suggest pulling the fuses for the most suspected circuits, say 2 or 3 at a time, leave them out and check again the next day to see if it's drained. If they discover the battery isn't drained again they at least narrowed the problem to one of those 2 or 3 circuits. Then they would do the same for each of those 2 or 3 circuits one at a time to find the real culprit.
They can eliminate right away those that only have power with the ignition on (or key to acc).

I once saw that very same problem on a vehicle with a faulty brake switch, it would turn stop lights on and off at random.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble with your van.
I use to work at the Chrysler technical assistants center. Sometimes the dealers would get too far over their heads before called us for help and this is how car companies lose customers. There are really no excuses after 12 visits.

they have been doing draw tests since Saturday.. they know its draining, but said they think its an intermittent module that is power cycling and draining and can't find it. with the meter on they can't monitor it "24x7" its a fully loaded van, has the remote start package, no towing package
I have seen where a thermal image camera was helpful in finding a draw. Leave the van out in the cold overnight. The camera will pick up the heat signal from whatever the battery was powering all night.
No meters needed, no need to wait of the computers to time out, no fuses to pull. But they will need a several thousand dollar camera..:eekkkk:

Good luck with your case manager.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
good call on the TSB I would see if they have flashed the FSM
here is the TSB

NUMBER: 08-042-14 GROUP: Electrical
DATE: April 23, 2014
HELP USING THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION FOR FLASHING AN ECU IS AVAILABLE BY SELECTING “HELP” THEN “HELP CONTENTS” AT THE TOP OF THE wiTECH DIAGNOSTIC APPLICATION WINDOW.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 14.03 OR HIGHER TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Flash: Dead Battery
OVERVIEW:
This Bulletin involves updating the Fold and Stow Module (FSM) with new software because the FSM stays awake resulting in a continuous electrical draw.
MODELS:
2008 - 2014 (RT) Caravan, Voyager, Grand Voyager, Town And Country
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before March 18, 2014 (MDH 0318XX) equipped with Power Folding 3rd Row Seat (sales code JRJ).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a dead battery.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify no DTC's are set. If DTCs are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition, perform the Repair Procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Install a battery charger to ensure battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.

08-042-14 -2-
1. Reprogram the FSM with the latest software. Help using the wiTECH diagnostic application for flashing an FSM is available by selecting “help” then “help contents” at the top of the wiTECH diagnostic application window.
2. Clear any DTC's that may have been set in all modules due to reprogramming. The wiTECH application will automatically present all DTCs after the flash and allow the tech to clear them.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
FAILURE CODE:
Labor Operation No:
Description
Skill Category
Amount
18-52-29-90
Module, Fold and Stow Module (FSM), Reprogram. (1 - Semi-Skilled)
6 - Electrical and Body Systems
0.2 Hrs.
FM
Flash Module

·
Registered
541 Posts
I went to the dealer in August because of this TSB. The Witech software but has shown no update ... I have installed the electric seats themselves. The part number of my FSM module is 04602582AI (MY14). My T & C but MY12. For model year 08-13 the FSM module usually has the part numbers 4602582AF, 4602582AG or 4602582AH. Possible that the Witech software has therefore not shown the update. Since the dealer could not help myself, I have the module then flashed at home themselves (J2534 Device, Chrysler J2534 Application and Flash File 4602582AJ.EFD from Chrysler server). After the update the FSM module has the part number 04602582AJ.

FSM 03.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the new update for tonight..which is even funnier since it was the very first thing I brought to the dealers attention and told them it met every single symptom and was exact same issues I was having....but of course they blew me off...they believe the issue is with the TIPM. Since it pretty much powers everything they said they need to test every single connection every switch and would now take until Monday to complete but they *believe* this is the issue but are not certain. My van was not part of this recall for the TIPM but I still asked about it day one cause it met every single issue and matched what others reported...Guess I am back to the wait game again until MOnday!

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Any updates?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts