The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2013 in to the Chrysler/Dodge dealer to have the A/C door worked on as it wasn't blowing cold or hot on both sides. While there I had some regular Maintenace done at 46,000 miles. One was an oil and filter change. Looking at the bill later I noticed they charged me a total of $87.45. Seems like $52.45 of that was labor.I have never before paid that much for an oil change for synthetic blend. I used to have it done at another Chrysler dealer till they moved and it was around $37.00 Well, this last time I took it to Walmart Got LOF, bought two air and one cabin filter and windshield wipers, all for less than $90.00. What is normal for you at a dealership?

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
$78/hour

You got a fast changer, and got away cheap.:D and they got it right with GENUINE MOPAR parts, good attitude, and didn't break anything. You won't get that at Walmart.

Check the dipstick, make sure it is the right level and oil is clean looking-- I do that before driving off, also look under the car to see if oil is pouring out or dripping.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
The Mopar guys can mess up installing the engine cover and air box cover, even mess up the valve stem caps. Hopefully they do better with the oil filter cover. Rush jobs are like that in their drivethrus
Nothing special about the Mopar oil filter either. There are more efficient and longer life filters on the shelves at Walmart.

Reactions: 2016T&C LP

·
Registered
584 Posts
The less anyone touches your car, and you do it yourself, the better. This car is not the hardest to work on- it uses common tools.
Oil changes, brake work, and some engine things (alternator, belts, tranny oil, suspension work) can be done safely with aptitude, time, space, and tools... for the aggravation, messiness, time and effort, it can be worth the money to have someone else do it.

It's only rewarding if you don't break anything in the meantime. It is not rewarding if you strip a thread or break a bolt off, OR are forced to give up after taking 80% of the parts off, because you cannot remove a fastener or broke something irreplaceable. Like the oil filter cover.

The F and S words become common usage when you work on your own car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The less anyone touches your car, and you do it yourself, the better.
I believe doing my own maintenance is why my OE oil cooler assembly is still intact on the 2014. Cover is always hand-tightened; no issues so far in almost 80K. We'll see.

Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
I believe doing my own maintenance is why my OE oil cooler assembly is still intact on the 2014. Cover is always hand-tightened; no issues so far in almost 80K. We'll see.
You can imagine some oil change guy, in a rush per usual, torquing up the cap by "guess". Two grunts should work. Oops. What's that running down the engine? :(

I go by torque and the noise of the tightening. My torque wrench is set at 15 ft. lb. Things start to get "crunchy" by then. The circular flat filter surfaces start to make compressive contact, top and bottom, and and there's some twisting (expected) of the filter media by then. Tightening to no movement is a bit much for the plastic, I'm thinking. No leaks yet.

What my used filter typically looks like:
Cylinder Pedestal Gas Font Art

·
Registered
200 Posts
the 3.3 and 3.8 are such a pleasure to change the oil on. It takes no mere than 3 minutes; no obstructions whatsoever.

I did hiwever go to the dealer to source a drain plug. $22.50 after tax in BC. Now that’s crazy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
For engine oil/filter changes, my local Dealer is only $5 more - compared to local general auto shops. For $5 more, I get my oil/filter changed by local Dodge dealer. Especially since its "plastic" Oil Assembly intake is over sensitive to tightness. Ouch! For tires, brakes, trailer hitch installs, trailer wiring, suspension (Timbren SES installs), wipers, bulbs, etc., I do my own DIY work. Best of all.... Saved labour dollars allows me to buy a new tool. re: New work = new tool. Ya. It's a guy thing. Smiles...

Note: My local Dealer shop changes my van's engine/filter oil. My body is too old to be laying on my back and getting dirt in my eyes. Been there, done that and cannot physically do it anymore... Ouch!

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
273 Posts
I am 76 years old and I like to change oil, do brakes, etc. myself. I may not do it any better than the shop, but I know who to blame if something is wrong.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As an oldster I still change my own oil and whatever parts I can. It affords me the opportunity to go over my vehicle and see whats what, now that dealership or shop rates are over $100.00 per hour. Having said that not everyone has this choice. I purchase Kirkland synthetic oil at Canadian $61.00 for two 5 litre jugs. $8.00 for an oil filter from Canadian tire. You may get a better deal somewhere else but in my city synthetic oil changes are much more expensive. I had a very bad experience with a drive through. Got 120 kilometres out the door and the oil light went on. Turns out the idiot that changed my oil didn't tighten the drain plug. That cost me serious moolah to get a tow to a shop for new oil and a steam clean of the under carriage. They covered the cost after I blew a fuse in their waiting room in front of a bunch of customers, but it screwed up my holiday trip. My very first job was at a Gulf service station pumping gas, busting tires and doing oil changes. They would have beat me to death with a tire iron if I had done the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
I bought a few 5L jugs of Super Tech 5W-30 full synthetic for $14.47/jug a while ago when they were on sale. They'll last me into my 80's :cool:
Rub a little on your joints. :)

Sounds like one for Project Farm. :)

Reactions: 2granddaughters

·
Registered
584 Posts
Vacuum oil changers can be done all from the top. I do these whenever possible to save getting under the cars - having 6 cars to maintain in household, these make it easy.. I've tested how much residual is left in the oil pan after using one of these devices and it is not enough to consider it less effective. The T&C is great as the oil filter is also up top. No more struggling with oil drain plugs, no need to jack up the car, get underneath (unless the filter is underneath). Also alot less mess, as you can control where the oil is being drained - and you can pour it directly into another container for transport to disposal.

White Product Black Kitchen appliance Drinkware

1 - 17 of 17 Posts