The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a new (to me) 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. The dealer says there is no way they can pull service records because they are dealer specific. I know this isn't true (or used to be true) because a dealer back home in Texas was able to pull my van's entire service history - right down to the build date and time. It would also be impossible to track warranty work if there was not a centralized database.

If anybody knows how I can get this record (or can pull it for me), I would be very appreciative and will buy you a beer if I come thru your home town on one of my road trips.

The last 8 of the VIN are 2R508181.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That dealer just doesn't want to work OR is trying to protect privacy of the previous owner. You may want to go to another dealership?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Warranty service history is the only thing that shows up and it's national. Non warranty is wherever the car was serviced. A dealer just can't pull someone else's non warranty records up. It doesn't work that way. If the previous owner used this dealer then they might be in there depending how long ago it was. If you can find the last owner, ask them where they went. They may have not even used a dealer.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
TNtech is exactly right.

Anything done under warranty, recalls and all, can be pulled up at any dealer.

Normal maintenance is dealer (or quick lube) specific. Even if every service was done at a dealer, just different dealers, that is not able to be pulled up (could you imagine the size of computer Chrysler would have to have if they had too keep every service record of every vehicle at every dealership?). Now, if the previous owner had every service performed at the same dealership, that dealership can print you the service records on that van, well the past few years anyway. At work it goes back 5 years. Then it says 'repair order purged from system'.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Chrysler's system is very outdated. Most other makes I've owned have had COMPLETE service history on a national database that can be pulled up by any dealer. All makes I've owned in the past 10 years have had them available online (except for my old Saturn). I can look up all service records on my Camry on the Toyota Owners site from build date, to when it was leased in Minnesota (and all services at the dealer there), to services it had performed while it was sitting on the used car dealer's lot post-lease auction, to my services now.

This system was especially frustrating when I had my 4th gen. taken to a couple different dealers for second opinions on some diagnoses. If I didn't have the previous service invoice from the other dealer with me, I had to fully reexplain to all the service writers everything over and over again, rather than have them look it up and read it for themselves.

·
Registered
650 Posts
^^^Just an addition to that, I noticed that Chrysler has the same online capabilities. However, on my van it only shows the history since I registered the VIN to my account at 19k miles. I put up a random used Chrysler 300's VIN in (with 75k miles) and it showed the whole history back to 15k miles from about 4 different Chrysler dealers. I guess it depends on whether or not the dealer info has synced with the online database.

If owners get this basic access to dealer service history, why can't the dealer's themselves?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Chrysler database will not and should not show anything other than WARRANTY history. When I pull up a VIN, I get ALL warranty history from dealer prep, recalls and up to the last repair, if any, that was done during the warranty period OR was a good-will, service contract repair or maintenance contract service. If it gets paid out of the cutomers pocket 100% it will not be in there. It doesn't have anything to do with syncing or whatever. Dealers logon TO Chrysler. They all have their own internal systems in addition. There is no network between dealers unless they are affiliated with each other, as in a common owned group of stores. In that case, it is not Chrysler's database they're in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Chrysler database will not and should not show anything other than WARRANTY history. When I pull up a VIN, I get ALL warranty history from dealer prep, recalls and up to the last repair, if any, that was done during the warranty period OR was a good-will, service contract repair or maintenance contract service. If it gets paid out of the cutomers pocket 100% it will not be in there. It doesn't have anything to do with syncing or whatever. Dealers logon TO Chrysler. They all have their own internal systems in addition. There is no network between dealers unless they are affiliated with each other, as in a common owned group of stores. In that case, it is not Chrysler's database they're in.
That's quite a shame then. I honestly don't see any reason why normal customer paid service shouldn't be included in the dealer network system.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
That's quite a shame then. I honestly don't see any reason why normal customer paid service shouldn't be included in the dealer network system.
Seriously? Could you imagine the size of the computer that would be necessary to house that massive amount of information.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Seriously? Could you imagine the size of the computer that would be necessary to house that massive amount of information.
Servers are capable of handling much more data, and much more complex information than something like this would require. It should not be difficult for an international company like Chrysler. This is not a new concept. Like I've said before, most other manufacturers have fully accessible databases. I can access my Town & Country's (and Grand Caravan before this) history on the Chrysler.com/owners site (even customer paid services), why can't the dealers? That's my question.

I've had my Toyota dealer pull information on my Camry regarding services it had done by its previous owner in Minnesota and Chicago. I've had Mercedes pull a full vehicle history report on my ML regarding all services from its previous owner in Minnesota. I'm from Michigan.

Like I said. Not a new concept.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Why should they? I know if i'm a dealer, i'm sure as **** not letting another dealer into my database so they can go after my customers. I respect my customers' private information too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Why should they? I know if i'm a dealer, i'm sure as **** not letting another dealer into my database so they can go after my customers. I respect my customers' private information too.
The only information shown is the dealer name/location and description of service as written on the invoice/repair order. NO information about the customer is listed. And I'm referring to a national Chrysler-owned/operated database, not a system where dealers access other dealer's systems.

The system available to owners gives only a brief summary, but the system available to dealer's I've seen shows the more detailed repair order.

Text Font Web page Product Line

·
Registered
650 Posts
All you can see from Chrysler's.

A list/summary of recorded services.

And a detailed description of each visit.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
If you click the "+", you see a summary of what was done. I am guessing that the dealer service guys/gals could add more to it. I think that it is sufficient enough what Chrysler provides.

I see a lot of service manager whining on the Toyota site. It doesn't surprise me to see that from Walser. They are clueless and are the ones who put the steering column together wrong on my former '06 at their Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer. Great sales, poor service.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only information shown is the dealer name/location and description of service as written on the invoice/repair order. NO information about the customer is listed. And I'm referring to a national Chrysler-owned/operated database, not a system where dealers access other dealer's systems.

The system available to owners gives only a brief summary, but the system available to dealer's I've seen shows the more detailed repair order.

View attachment 4182

Gotcha...ok. It may be coming in the future. They're busy as little bees revamping the Dealerconnect website these days. That system, from what I hear from other techs/advisors, is second to none. I think it's pretty bad-arse myself. I think the service history thing may be way down the list.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Gotcha...ok. It may be coming in the future. They're busy as little bees revamping the Dealerconnect website these days. That system, from what I hear from other techs/advisors, is second to none. I think it's pretty bad-arse myself. I think the service history thing may be way down the list.
That's great to hear. I've generally had good experiences with Chrysler/Dodge service, but revamping it like you said goes a long way in streamlining the whole experience for everybody. :thumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the images, I registered at the Chrysler Owner's site and got my dealer vehicle service records, which I really wanted to know on my just bought 2005 SXT.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
907 Posts
All you can see from Chrysler's.

A list/summary of recorded services.

DGC, since you are register with the site already, where is the new site address to find the info now? The site changed and a person can not follow the https path anymore for the web page. :blink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts