The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Maybe I'll buy a gallon or two for Christmas turkey!
:biggrin:
Use the left over wool wax to lubricate your motorcycle chain.
http://www.fluid-film.com/frequently-asked-questions/
FLUID FILM is an all purpose chain lube due to its non-solvent application. Spray FLUID FILM directly on the chain, wiping off excess with a clean rag. FLUID FILM will migrate into all areas, providing long-lasting lubrication and protection from rust. Great on bicycle chains as well.
Use the drippings on your work boots. :)
FLUID FILM is an excellent leather conditioner, and will soften and weather proof leather work boots.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
:biggrin:
Use the leftover wool wax to lubricate your motorcycle chain.
I don't think I will ever going to buy a motorcycle for this purpose :biggrin: but today I just used 2 full sprays of FF beyond one and a quarter of Rust Proof spray to winterize my van... when I reached the point of pouring oil into the rocker panels it started to rain so I had to stop and take the van back into the garage.

·
PT Driver
2,661 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
This is an interesting article for a debate. Anybody up for it?
http://www.autofoundry.com/1691/vehicle-fluid-flush-unnecessary/

My take: I agree with the guy 100%.
So you kind of agree with me?

Seems like I'm not alone!

From your link:

.....Automatic Transmission Service/Flush – Last but not least, automatic transmission services are often completely unnecessary. Most new vehicles use synthetic transmission fluid that can last the lifetime of the vehicle – meaning that you’ll never, ever, EVER have to change it.... Just check your vehicle’s maintenance booklet…if you don’t see a recommended transmission service interval, than your transmission doesn’t need service.

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
So you kind of agree with me?

Seems like I'm not alone!

From your link:

.....Automatic Transmission Service/Flush – Last but not least, automatic transmission services are often completely unnecessary. Most new vehicles use synthetic transmission fluid that can last the lifetime of the vehicle – meaning that you’ll never, ever, EVER have to change it....Just check your vehicle’s maintenance booklet…if you don’t see a recommended transmission service interval, than your transmission doesn’t need service.
The sentence I bolded is key, your 2012 maintenance schedule states:

64,000 miles: Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.

120,000 miles: Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).
The maintenance schedule does not say "you never, ever, EVER have to change it" like you seem believe.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts

The maintenance schedule does not say "you never, ever, EVER have to change it" like you seem believe.
Been working for me so far, even on vehicles with std. ATF. Of course manufacturers have to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Few use their minivan for more heavy trailering than me, that's for sure.

Also, I never said you agree with me, I know you never do.

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
Also, I never said you agree with me, I know you never do.
I'm aware you were addressing Jeepman, I was just pointing out that your post is contrary to your own opinion.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts

64,000 miles: Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.

120,000 miles: Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).
I never change ATF, and when I do, I just replace the whole transmission for a new one, with brand new ATF. I replaced my transmission at approx. 50,000 miles, just to be on the safe side. :happy1:

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I don't believe the Owner Manuals for any of the 4th Generations had a transmission fluid change interval under Schedule "A" Normal Service. Neither my 2002 GC nor 2007 GC do. There is a change interval for Schedule "B" though. The 5th generations do have a change interval.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
I don't believe the Owner Manuals for any of the 4th Generations had a transmission fluid change interval under Schedule "A" Normal Service. Neither my 2002 GC nor 2007 GC do. There is a change interval for Schedule "B" though.
My 2002 T&C Owner Manual is the same! I did change the oil once when it had a leak and the mechanic had to empty it to replace the gasket. He did not want to put back the old oil :ThumbsUp:

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Our infatuation with SUVs is putting everyone else on the road at risk

We haven't had a good debate lately, have we? :)

This should make for interesting discussion considering how some larger vehicles get hammered for safety while the small vehicles aren't safe to begin with, in comparison.
https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/our-infatuation-with-suvs-is-putting-everyone-else-on-the-road-at-risk
The number one reason buyers give for getting into an SUV or light truck is always that they feel safer. Higher up. Bigger. All those things are actually true.

But spare some sympathy for the rest of us, who are getting injured and killed at disproportionate rates. Add in a study showing that driving the super-sized vehicles is “masculanizing” how females are driving, and it starts to make sense why after years of declining numbers, fatal road traffic collisions are heading back up. The vehicles we drive have never been safer; manufacturers have seen to that. Now, it’s the drivers alone extending the carnage on our roads.

Professor Michelle J. White, a researcher at the University of California, San Diego, first noted the problem in a paper way back in 2004 and appropriately called it an “arms race”. She noticed the steady increase in larger and larger vehicles on North American roads, and the impact that had on “occupants of smaller vehicles and to pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists.” Anyone who knows even a bit of physics might shrug; big beats little in the event of a collision, every time.

Fast forward to today. That category that encompasses passengers cars and light trucks and SUVs are all deemed “not dump trucks”, which they’re not. But a 2400 kg SUV is in the same class as a 880 kg Smart car. Consider that 73 per cent of vehicles sold in Canada last year were light trucks, SUVs and CUVs, and 80 per cent of those were passenger trucks. The numbers continue to climb as the love affair with big, bigger and biggest continues.

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
You are driving your Dodge Grand Caravan late at night. Coming upon one of your favorite motels, you decide to call it a day, not exactly sure of which town you are in. You hope you are in a "truthful" town.
There are two towns, side by side. The residents of one always tell the truth, and of the other always tell lies. They also visit each other's towns, i.e., in each town there may be people from both. You wake up in one of the towns and need to find out in which one you are. What single "yes/no" question do you have to ask a passerby to find this out?

No matter your answer, LEVY will debate you. :biggrin:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,311 Posts
You are driving your Dodge Grand Caravan late at night. Coming upon one of your favorite motels, you decide to call it a day, not exactly sure of which town you are in. You hope you are in a "truthful" town.
There are two towns, side by side. The residents of one always tell the truth, and of the other always tell lies. They also visit each other's towns, i.e., in each town there may be people from both. You wake up in one of the towns and need to find out in which one you are. What single "yes/no" question do you have to ask a passerby to find this out?

No matter your answer, LEVY will debate you. :biggrin:
Not true!

I now know the name of the untruthful town:

Nova Scotia

·
Latent car nut
8,816 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good debate, errr, until flamethrowers are employed. :p

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Not true!

I now know the name of the untruthful town:

Nova Scotia
Ha, ha. Are you trying to give me de bait LEVY?

We are very truthful in Nova Scotia, except for the politicians, can't vouch for them. :) We have nice songs too.
EAST COAST MUSIC: 10 SONGS TO INCLUDE ON YOUR MARITIMES PLAYLIST: https://www.ferries.ca/explore/maritime-playlist/
The Maritimes are a wealth of musical talent. From hip-hop to sea shanties, here are a few favourite east coast tunes.
Also, There's a Nova Scotian that does a nice planked salmon and will treat you and Miron to one, when you arrive, arm in arm. Ha, ha.

The TRUTHFUL yes/no answer to the truthful singular question is very simply truthful:
Do you live in this town?
Yes = Truthful Town like Nova Scotia Towns.
No = Untruthful Town like Nas Oinotna.
:happy1:

LEVY's answer will be concocted by Achmed, I'm sure, so it could be a bomb. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #179 (Edited)
Can't beat this Maritime Music:

Stompin' Tom Connors - The Hockey Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJvrD80nJ4

I hear Kraft-Heinz is in financial trouble: https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/25/investing/kraft-heinz-stock-debt/index.html

Here's a song for them: Stompin' Tom Connors - The Ketchup Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiGb31e5ydo

Here's a Newfoundland song for our US friends (including LEVY, of course): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFHX5CbHiQ

Halifax Song (Old Atlantic Shore) by Stompin' Tom Connors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4GEsv6ENd0

In case you are getting bored: Best of Larry, Darryl, and Darryl (part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj_jeviwKQ

·
Super Moderator
21,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Mechanics will let your brake caliper, including bracket where applicable, hang by the hose when doing repair work.

Is that a thumbs up :thumb::thumb: or thumbs down :bad::bad: when that practice is used on your vehicle?

161 - 180 of 186 Posts
About this Discussion
185 Replies
18 Participants
Jeepman
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing