The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some trouble with our 2012's 62TE transmission for the last year (135K miles last year to 153K mi this year: rough shifts, shuddering torque converter lockup, etc.)

Looked into some local rebuilders, quotes are coming in $2800-3300 here in Eastern NC, considered doing it myself with a rockauto reman unit ($1800+1000 core), etc. Ultimately decided to go with a local rebuilder based on some recommendations.

In any case, I decided to start getting some stuff in order beforehand. Considering a transmission cooler as well, but first decided to install an external oil filter to facilitate more regular fluid changes and prolong the life of the rebuild.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONO2A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a bit of a review on the amazon page, detailing what I went through for the install. Bonus points for this unit with the addition of a temp sending unit to ease future fluid servicing. I know the 62TE has a temp sensor providing data that can be read by scan tools, but my iPad app and bluetooth OBD2 adapter haven't been able to pull down that data yet, and the temp sensor is me hedging my bets for the future.

I had to fabricate a relocation bracket from some 3/16" iron stock that I bought from Lowe's (I think it was a 2x36" piece). Lots of ******* engineering with my bench vise, dremel tool, two cutting wheels, and some standard dewalt drill bits to get all the holes bored and the bracket cut down to 5 3/4" length. Gave the bracket a few coats of duracoat and rustoleum for some initial corrosion protection.

The supplied hardware with the filter kit wasn't enough to get it all done. I had to get some additional brass fittings in order to splice into the factory trans cooler lines; we used some double- sided 3/8 brass compressor fittings with hose clamps ties and the supplied hose to give the extra length I needed, and then I replaced the chintzy plastic 1/2 NPT barbed fittings that came with the kit with some proper brass compressor fittings. All that stuff was available at the local hardware store in the air compressor section. Also used some 5/16" stainless fine threaded hardware to mount the filter adapter to the relocation bracket. I used the supplied sheet metal screws to bolt the bracket to the frame.

In order to drill the holes in the car's frame, I had to move the electronic module that is behind the drivers side fog lamp out of the way. Easy enough, three bolts got it loose from the mounting, although an extra set of hands or some wire would have been nice to keep it out of the way while I drilled with a stubby 3/16" bit and my shorty drill.

Ultimately really happy with the result. The filter is installed immediately in front of the transmission pan, and the bottom of the supplied Derale canister filter (Fram PH8A equivalent) is just a smidge higher than the forward frame cross member. Future fluid servicing should be a breeze with the addition of my trans pan with drain bolt.

I let the Trans shop finish the install for me after he did the rebuild. He recommended putting the whole kit into the return fluid side as opposed to the hot side going to the trans cooler. Reason being that based on what he saw come out of the transmission, the cooler is probably contaminated. He says he flushed it a few times, but thinks this is still the way to go, catching anything that gets dislodged from the cooler in the future.

I bought the kit on Amazon, the fittings from a local hardware store, and the iron stock from Lowes. Probably all in about $130, including paint. The trans rebuild ran me $3340, including the minor installation of the filter kit. Probably not the most cost effective but its the whole time vs money thing. Plus we were able to finance the repair for 0%/12 mo through synchrony car care (yes, I know it's deferred interest not true 0% apr...i have no intentions of letting it go past 12 months though so it's fine).

Probably took me about 4 hours to do all the fabricating, painting, etc. Final instal by the shop was probably a snap. I will post updates at first fluid change.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I bought this Made in the USA kit from Summit cheaper and added it to my van yesterday. Derale Cooling Products 13091 Derale Standard Automatic Transmission Filter Kits | Summit Racing
I mounted it in the same location but turned it sideways. I used a piece of rectangular tubing to space the housing away from seam in the frame. I used rivets to hold the tubing to the frame. The hardest part of the install was drilling the holes.
I did not need to buy any extra hardware because I removed the transmission line and cut the hoses crimps off. I removed the old hose and just replaced it with the Continental hose that came in the kit. So, I used the hose clamps to hold the new hose to the old metal lines on the transmission and condenser.
Now I need to mount the temperature gauge. I am thinking it will go above the vent on the dash with Velcro to avoid drilling holes. I like lower dash mounts for gauges like this, but it might get kicked by the wife.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top