The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oyr 2003 Town & country has dual-zone temp control...The passenger side lacks heat, is almost always very cold, no matter how the controls are adjusted.

The blower motor is brand new & works fine
The blower driver (solid state resistor) works fine--speed is variable as needed
The coolent level is nearly 100%
The heater core lines are very hot, driver side has good heat
The cabin filter is brand new--plenty of air is moving in the system
The passenger blend door shaft is fine--you can remove the actuator & turn the metal shaft & hear the blend door thumping back & forth & get some heat out of the passenger side.
At least the passenger actuator spins nicely round and round when hooked to 12V on the bench...the others appear to move when looking under the dash
Pressing the power/recirc does the "calibration" ...yet no heat on the passenger side

Is there a way to test the temperature sensors? where are they? Can the "automatic control" of the dampers be overridden for testing (perhaps via OBD II)--I want to apply "Full heat" to the passenger side and force the actuator to run regardless of the temperature sensor.

Any other diagnostics of the dual-zone electronics? How can you manually command the individual actuators positions for testing?

I might try swapping the actualor with the blower recirc actuator, but at least on the bench it spins fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did swap the actuators...also during the cal if the passenger actuator is haging, you can see it spiiing, so its getting power...but when installed the driver gets heat & the passenger gets cold....
is there a way to test the actuators...I want to tell it to opn/close it
also where is the passenger temperature sensor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way to operate, test & diagnose the individual actuators?
I do NOT mean hold in the power & recirc button...I want to operate one particular actuator

How is the temperature sensed for the 2 sides? I still haven't found the temperature sensors.

·
fix it if you can
5,491 Posts
Is there any way to operate, test & diagnose the individual actuators?
I do NOT mean hold in the power & recirc button...I want to operate one particular actuator

How is the temperature sensed for the 2 sides? I still haven't found the temperature sensors.
Yes, individual actuators can be tested with DRB-III equivalent dealer scan tool in place or can be removed/jumped and tested.
The IR Temp sensor is mounted near the top of the center console, between vents..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does one sensor measure the temperature of both people? Seems like you'd need TWO sensors to keep left & right temps adjusted properly.

You mention DRB-III...can this be done with an OBD module (I Have one)...Is there a good source for this DRB moudle?...how is it different ?

·
fix it if you can
5,491 Posts
How does one sensor measure the temperature of both people? Seems like you'd need TWO sensors to keep left & right temps adjusted properly.
The sensor is made up of two IR detectors one for each side, it does not measure the actual temperature only sensing IR levels (heat signature)..

You mention DRB-III...can this be done with an OBD module (I Have one)...Is there a good source for this DRB moudle?...how is it different ?
DRB-III is the scan tool designed specifically for Chrysler, it has since been superseded by StarSCAN
but used ones are still floating around.
All diagnostics are performed by software, if you can find compatible software, interface hardware is not very important. However hardware is usually the method of choice for controlling the software access/use.
Snapon makes their own diagnostic platform (hardware & software)..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any info, part numbers, diagrams, etc on this dual IR sensor. Could the passenger sensor side go bad?

Its cold, but the acutator spins if you hang it in the air and do the recirc "CAL". The door shaft moves the door & thumps, so it is good. The core lines feel very hot. The drivers side blows hot, but the passenger side is cold! It as though the controller is not moving the actuator (but does during the cal)...so Wondering if it is a bad sensor.

Can I swap the driver sensor and see if the heat & cold sides swap?

·
fix it if you can
5,491 Posts
AFAIK, the IR sensor is not serviceable:
FSM said:
INFRARED TEMPERATURE
SENSOR
DESCRIPTION
The infrared temperature sensor consists of two
infrared transducers that are concealed behind a
clear lens located near the bottom of the center panel
outlet near the top of the instrument panel center
bezel (Fig. 19). These sensors are used only on mod-
els equipped with the optional automatic tempera-
ture control (ATC) heating-A/C system. A molded
plastic connector receptacle on the bottom of the
panel outlet unit is concealed behind the center
bezel. A short, dedicated jumper wire harness routed
behind the center bezel connects the sensors directly
to the ATC A/C-heater control module near the bot-
tom of the center bezel. The infrared temperature
sensor is integral to the center bezel panel outlet
unit. The infrared sensors cannot be adjusted or
repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the center bezel
must be replaced.
Can you manually (by hand) move the pass side blend door (after removing the actuator) and get heat on pass side?
If not, IR sensor is not your problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I mentioned, if you flap the door back and forth the passenger side will get warm, maybe hot (I didn't wait too long). The ATC does not seem to be moving t (but you can't see it moving, hence I wanted a command or buttons to force it to move).

It spins round when doing the cal cycle (if you hang it in the air). Is there any way to test the sensor? If it is a dual sensor, I thought about swapping the sides to see if the passenger side started working...do you know the wiring pinout of the sensor?

Or maybe putting a resistor in place of the sensor, just to see if something happens.

·
fix it if you can
5,491 Posts
you could try disconnecting the sensor and see what happens on drivers side, it may go into a limp mode and provide heat or it may not..

a resistor won't do any good, it's a digital sensor.
FSM said:
ATC REMOTE SENSOR (ATC) - 4 WAY
CAV -- CIRCUIT -- FUNCTION
1 -- F600 20LB/PK -- PROTECTED IGNITION
2 -- D40 20WT/LB -- KDB NO. 2 CLOCK
3 -- C905 20BR/LB -- SENSOR RETURN
4 -- D18 20WT/YL -- KDB NO. 2 DATA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
part number

what is the part number for the interior temperature sensor (looks like a dot between the front panel vents)

does anyone know a cheap place to get one?

·
fix it if you can
5,491 Posts
what is the part number for the interior temperature sensor (looks like a dot between the front panel vents)

does anyone know a cheap place to get one?
IR sensor is sold as part of center console cover/trim.. call your local junk yard, look it upon car-part.com or check on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts