The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Did I get fleeced?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  el conquistador 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 base Caravan, 3.0L, 3 speed, with 176,000 Km (approx 105,000 Miles) Went to start it yesterday morning, and what a screeching noise, and smoke. Shut it down, and thereit was, a ripped and broken serpentine belt. Alternator had seixed, without any warning. So, muscled it about a mile to my favorite repair shop. New alternator, belt and tensioner. Total bill $850.00 Cdn, and on the road again. My question is, does this amount sound right? Alternator 292.89, Tensioner 205.00, Belt 84.45. 150.00 laborWhat are your thoughts?

#2 ·
I think you were hosed. You have Canadian Tire out there, so call them and at least price out the 3 parts. Sounds like list price + + + 50% additional mark up. Call a dealer too.

#3 ·
Had an alternator replaced in October 2007 for $318.00 plus tax. The labor included removing the clutch pulley (no clutch pulley prior to 2001) and reinstalling. The alternator was more expensive than the Dealer "trade price" ($258 versus $220) but had a two year warranty. The labour was an hour at $58.00.

Looks like you paid "list price" for the parts and maybe for an extra 1/2 hour for labor considering a lot of labor for the tensioner was already covered by the alternator replacement. So, maybe you could have gotten the work done for about $100 to $150 less with some deals on the parts and a little less labour charge.

#4 ·
I have replaced an alternator on one of these 3.0s before for the same problem. I also know a friend who had the same problem.

The alternators that they used on these is very expensive - ie your cost for the alternator looks OK. However the tensioner seems out of line. Belt a little high and labor not bad.

#5 ·
Unfortunately alternators and serpentine drive belt tensioners can tend to be very expensive parts.

#6 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I probably might have saved a bit if I had gone to th dealer. I get a discount on prices, but "time was of the essence". Once again, thanks a lot, and the van is quieter now. I have a hearing problem ( 82 years old) but wife says she doesn't hear some noises that used to be there on startup.

#7 ·
You could have a look at auto parts web sites for the Alt and tensioner and belt. Those prices seem double what you would pay at the parts stor. Labor is reasonable. Looks like they charged you 2hrs. In all actuality it really only takes 1hr to do the job. I bet they charged the hr for alt and an hr for the tensioner, but when you got the thing apart the tensioner only takes 2min once the alternator is out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.