The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2.8 CRD, 2008, Grand Voyager. I've noticed oil seems to be seeping out of the part I'm pointing to, and the rubber pipe that is attached to it is thick with oil. Car is booked into garage for 5th September but in the meantime, can any one shed any light on what this could be?

Many thanks for any info.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
I looked up the part number on the pipe and it shows up as “HOSE. Oil Separator.” The left end of hose attaches to an intake pipe. The right side of the hose where you are pointing is attached to an oil separator of sorts.

I know gasoline direct injected engines benefit from oil separators (by preventing gunky oil from getting to the intake and intake valves), so I’m assuming they’re used for a similar reason on diesel engines. Based off of my knowledge, I don’t think a leak at this part is a critical issue. Maybe it could use a clamp around the end of the hose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really kind of you to look up the part, thanks. I'll pop a small jubilee clip around each end of the hose, wipe away the excess oil from the top of the engine and see whether it reappears. Cheers for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Body jewelry Natural material Jewellery Font Jewelry making

"The main difference between a jubilee clip and a hose clamp is in the purpose of application. Jubilee clips are for attaching hoses to pipes, so they stay in a place. Hose clamps, on the other hand, are for tightening hose pipes to prevent leakage."
The closest thing I have used to a jubilee clamp is a piece of copper wire at the radiator neck for the hose to the reservoir. :)

I have seen them over the years, but not recently. They do look familiar. Dryer hose clamp? Radiator hose clamp? Heater hose clamp? I doubt that I have any in my stash though. They would have been called wire clamps.
Product Musical instrument Font Wind instrument Bicycle part

Clamps have been around for a long time. The worm-drive hose clamp, invented in England in 1921. But already in 1896, the Swedish inventor Knut Edwin Bergström took out a patent for his advanced worm-drive hose clamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts