The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So tonight after replacing the faulty alternator, and all six of the plug wires (the back three were destroyed by a small fire from something getting caught between the cat con and the heat shield. (Possibly some vacuum (man that word looks funny) lines died as a result of the small fire, not sure, never noticed any back there, but wasn't really looking either...). The van finally charges like it should now, and on the drive home the charging light didn't' come on so hopefully it's fixed.

However, now I have a definite misfire condition following the replacement of the wire. I'm going to let it cool overnight and before I run the core back to NAPA in the morning double check that all six wires are seated on the plugs tightly. Is it possible that I have damaged the coil by driving with the messed up wires? (I'm sure that anything is possible...)

Only other issue right this second is that I need to figure out which fuse the radio is on as I'm pretty sure it's blown. (No radio, no ignition controlled accessory power either.) I don't have a manual and the top of the fuse box is not very descriptive...

·
Super Moderator
22,230 Posts
Ok, So tonight after replacing the faulty alternator, and all six of the plug wires (the back three were destroyed by a small fire from something getting caught between the cat con and the heat shield. (Possibly some vacuum (man that word looks funny) lines died as a result of the small fire, not sure, never noticed any back there, but wasn't really looking either...). The van finally charges like it should now, and on the drive home the charging light didn't' come on so hopefully it's fixed.

However, now I have a definite misfire condition following the replacement of the wire. I'm going to let it cool overnight and before I run the core back to NAPA in the morning double check that all six wires are seated on the plugs tightly. Is it possible that I have damaged the coil by driving with the messed up wires? (I'm sure that anything is possible...)

Only other issue right this second is that I need to figure out which fuse the radio is on as I'm pretty sure it's blown. (No radio, no ignition controlled accessory power either.) I don't have a manual and the top of the fuse box is not very descriptive...
This may help as to the fuse location: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_radio_fuse_for_a_2001_Dodge_Caravan
UNCLEARLY marked is the radio fuse, a 20amp fuse located 2nd row from top to the right of the accessory relay. It is marked: RDO/IP IGN.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_radio_fuse_for_a_2001_Dodge_Caravan#ixzz1zqPH1O5h
Did you use any dielectric grease on the wire connections? Are you getting any fault codes?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fault codes, didn't appear to be any dielectric grease on the wires, I'm pretty sure that dad didn't use any (but then again, he is the mechanic). I swapped out the radio fuse for the switchable accessory outlet fuse, so I have a radio until I can go buy some fuses...

on the cylinder order, is the back side 1-3-5 and the front 2-4-6? and is it the same order on the coil pack. We were working with damaged wires on the back side of the engine so we're not 100% certain what was attached where back there...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Misfire condition has been corrected

Rear side of the engine was firing in 3-5-1 order rather than 1-3-5. We (incorrectly) assumed that the rear order was like the front side of the coil pack (2-4-6). Oh well, thanks to Google, it's fixed.

Out of curiosity, how do you thank someone for a post? I want to thank jeepman for the radio fuse answer...

·
Super Moderator
22,230 Posts
No fault codes, didn't appear to be any dielectric grease on the wires, I'm pretty sure that dad didn't use any (but then again, he is the mechanic). I swapped out the radio fuse for the switchable accessory outlet fuse, so I have a radio until I can go buy some fuses...

on the cylinder order, is the back side 1-3-5 and the front 2-4-6? and is it the same order on the coil pack. We were working with damaged wires on the back side of the engine so we're not 100% certain what was attached where back there...
Starting on the left: 1-3-5 back; 2-4-6 front.
Coil is 5-1-3 back; 2-4-6 front according to the Haynes Manual. That may be your problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The misfire is fixed and now she's running like a dream! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts