The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone replace their 62TE themselves?

I found a handful of gear teeth and a lot of shavings in the transmission pan when I changed the fluid and filter.
When I back up over the one inch concrete lip to my garage I get a shudder and it feels like the transmission is slipping. Forward seems fine but slow to get "in gear" when shifting between park, fwd, and reverse.

New to me (last December) 2011 GC 3.6, 75,000 miles. The fluid had a burnt color and smell.
Transmission shop quoted $4138 for reman or $2877 for used, installed including taxes and warranty.
I find it hard to justify $4138 in a van worth $9500.
Local used transmission is around $650.

Any personal experiences with this would be helpful.

·
Registered
196 Posts
$4100+ is dealership rates. I hear ya about the high cost in relation to the value of the vehicle, but at least Mopar includes 3 year / 100k mile parts & labor warranty if the dealership installs it (i think). If you decide to go that route...

Can't speak to your other questions about DIY. Re: the used transmission, how many miles? How long do you think that one is going to last?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,000 Posts
Anyone replace their 62TE themselves?

I found a handful of gear teeth and a lot of shavings in the transmission pan when I changed the fluid and filter.
When I back up over the one inch concrete lip to my garage I get a shudder and it feels like the transmission is slipping. Forward seems fine but slow to get "in gear" when shifting between park, fwd, and reverse.

New to me (last December) 2011 GC 3.6, 75,000 miles. The fluid had a burnt color and smell.
Transmission shop quoted $4138 for reman or $2877 for used, installed including taxes and warranty.
I find it hard to justify $4138 in a van worth $9500.
Local used transmission is around $650.

Any personal experiences with this would be helpful.
I removed mine not too long ago.

It is about 2 hrs. job to remove it if you know what you are doing and have your vehicle on jack stands already. Another hour or so to get your tools ready.

Another two hours to install + 1 more hour to clean and put up your tools.

Not funny at all.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It doesn't sound good with what you found in the pan BUT the reverse shudder is common and normal operation in these things. If that's the only drivability issue there may not even be a serious problem yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$4100+ is dealership rates. I hear ya about the high cost in relation to the value of the vehicle, but at least Mopar includes 3 year / 100k mile parts & labor warranty if the dealership installs it (i think). If you decide to go that route...

Can't speak to your other questions about DIY. Re: the used transmission, how many miles? How long do you think that one is going to last?
Reman is 3 year/500k warranty.
Used are 30k-50k miles. My 05 has 200k and zero trans problems. I have think the previous owner did something, but no idea what.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed mine not too long ago.

It is about 2 hrs. job to remove it if you know what you are doing and have your vehicle on jack stands already. Another hour or so to get your tools ready.

Another two hours to install + 1 more hour to clean and put up your tools.

Not funny at all.
Thanks for the time info, I have most everything except a tranny jack.
Did you have transmission problems?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I also am interested. My 2012 has 110kmiles and no problems but I have no confidence in automatic transmissions.
My 2002 tranny died at 160kmiles. I paid $4k to have it rebuilt which died at 240kmiles. The warrantees seem to be 1 year which does not give me confidence that a rebuild is quality. If there is no one offering a real warrantee, maybe used is the way to go???

When the time comes that the 2012 tranny fails, I would like to replace it myself if possible. I have a lift and don't mind doing the work. Where do you buy a quality rebuilt unit? Will it last as long as OEM? Maybe a rebuilt is no better of a gamble than buying used???? Do I need special tools to handle the programming?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Reman is 3 year/500k warranty. Used are 30k-50k miles.
I just looked at my receipt/warranty card information from when I had it replaced in July 2015. The genuine Mopar warranty (at the time anyway) was 3 years / 100k miles and included parts and labor if installed at Chryco dealership. If installed elsewhere, the warranty only covered parts. We don't put 30k + miles per year anyway, so we are more likely to expire the warranty rather than exceed the mileage cap.

I paid $4300. That being said, I was 500 miles from home on road trip with my family so the dealership knew I had very few options and they were not at all flexible on price. They charged me full list price on transmission, and I assume full book rate on labor. Would not budge on any sort of discount on parts or labor (not that they had to, but it would have been nice). If you source parts yourself, and are able to wait out shipping times, the OE transmission was available online for $700 - $1000 below list price from other legit dealerships.

Also, that price didn't include new transmission/motor mounts, so you can save even more there if you source it yourself. If you pay to have it replaced, I would expect them to crush at least the lower mount when removing the old transmission. When replacing a bad mount, the dealership "recommended" replacing all 4 mounts at the same time and then quoted an obscene price. I no longer have my notes on it, but IIRC it was around $1200. I declined and had my local mechanic replace just the one that the dealership crushed for <$200.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also am interested. My 2012 has 110kmiles and no problems but I have no confidence in automatic transmissions.
My 2002 tranny died at 160kmiles. I paid $4k to have it rebuilt which died at 240kmiles. The warrantees seem to be 1 year which does not give me confidence that a rebuild is quality. If there is no one offering a real warrantee, maybe used is the way to go???

When the time comes that the 2012 tranny fails, I would like to replace it myself if possible. I have a lift and don't mind doing the work. Where do you buy a quality rebuilt unit? Will it last as long as OEM? Maybe a rebuilt is no better of a gamble than buying used???? Do I need special tools to handle the programming?
In theory, a remanufactured transmission should be as good as a new one, but cost quite a bit less. A used one, on the other hand, is a gamble, since you don't know either the mileage or how it was driven and maintained.

If you got 240,000 miles of service from your last transmission, I'd call that pretty good. If you'd had a manual transmission instead, you'd likely have gone through a few clutches in that time, and the trans might have given you some trouble as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got 160kmiles out of the first tranny. I was not too unhappy with this. The local rebuilt only went ~80kmiles which made me very unhappy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In theory, a remanufactured transmission should be as good as a new one, but cost quite a bit less. A used one, on the other hand, is a gamble,
I don't know if this is true for Mopar, but for a lot of manufacturers the "reman" is quite often brand new part, especially if the vehicle is still in production. Just no guarantee you will get a brand new one if you buy "reman".

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just looked at my receipt/warranty card information from when I had it replaced in July 2015. The genuine Mopar warranty (at the time anyway) was 3 years / 100k miles and included parts and labor if installed at Chryco dealership. If installed elsewhere, the warranty only covered parts. We don't put 30k + miles per year anyway, so we are more likely to expire the warranty rather than exceed the mileage cap.

I paid $4300. That being said, I was 500 miles from home on road trip with my family so the dealership knew I had very few options and they were not at all flexible on price. They charged me full list price on transmission, and I assume full book rate on labor. Would not budge on any sort of discount on parts or labor (not that they had to, but it would have been nice). If you source parts yourself, and are able to wait out shipping times, the OE transmission was available online for $700 - $1000 below list price from other legit dealerships.

Also, that price didn't include new transmission/motor mounts, so you can save even more there if you source it yourself. If you pay to have it replaced, I would expect them to crush at least the lower mount when removing the old transmission. When replacing a bad mount, the dealership "recommended" replacing all 4 mounts at the same time and then quoted an obscene price. I no longer have my notes on it, but IIRC it was around $1200. I declined and had my local mechanic replace just the one that the dealership crushed for <$200.
Why would the mounts get damaged?

·
Vanless member
2,090 Posts
Why would the mounts get damaged?
Dealer prices are obscene! I needed a front transmission mount, they wanted $175.00CD +15% tax.(Quebec) Found it at Rockauto $14.00CD no tax+shipping. They made over 5 million 3.3/41TE's! How can they justify their prices?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Dealer prices are obscene! I needed a front transmission mount, they wanted $175.00CD +15% tax.(Quebec) Found it at Rockauto $14.00CD no tax+shipping. They made over 5 million 3.3/41TE's! How can they justify their prices?
Yes dealers are crazy with their prices. It pays to shop around. Good thing these vans are very popular, that means a lot of aftermarket parts are available and competitively priced too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update.
After studying the 62TE parts diagrams and the broken teeth, I figured they had to have come from the low clutch drum in the underdrive assembly.
I found a "used, excellent condition" underdrive on Ebay for $60 and decided to give it a try. I read the rebuild guide, watched a rebuild on Youtube, and figured I could replace the underdrive assembly in the vehicle.

I had to remove the driver's tire and coolant reservoir for access. There was some minor damage to the casing, but it didn't look to bad. All total, it took about six hours and was successful.
I'll change the fluid and filter again in a week to help flush out any residue.

I've attached pictures of the "newer" and old unit below.
newer.jpg 019.jpg 039.jpg

As you can see, there wasn't much left to hold the low clutch retainer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow, looks like you caught that right in time to avoid a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Those parts were really shot. Have you any idea what might have caused all that damage?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Update.
After studying the 62TE parts diagrams and the broken teeth, I figured they had to have come from the low clutch drum in the underdrive assembly.
I found a "used, excellent condition" underdrive on Ebay for $60 and decided to give it a try. I read the rebuild guide, watched a rebuild on Youtube, and figured I could replace the underdrive assembly in the vehicle.

I had to remove the driver's tire and coolant reservoir for access. There was some minor damage to the casing, but it didn't look to bad. All total, it took about six hours and was successful.
I'll change the fluid and filter again in a week to help flush out any residue.

As you can see, there wasn't much left to hold the low clutch retainer.
How did you figure that out? Excellent job - do you have any pictures of in-process work?

What was the give-away on the teeth in the pan that led you to the underdrive assembly?

And lastly, what do you think would have caused that failure?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update.

I read the rebuild guide, watched a rebuild on Youtube, and figured I could replace the underdrive assembly in the vehicle.
Wow, nice catch! Where did you find a parts diagram and a rebuild guide? My biggest problem is finding good shop manuals for my 2017 GC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts