The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped front struts from a junkyard Town and & Country awhile back. The van now looks like it has a lift kit in the front. Is there a different strut/spring assembly for certain models; AWD, air shocks, etc? The old struts and springs look identical. Or maybe there's a slot to adjust the assembly where it bolts on to the body?
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
Installed properly?

The van you got them off was likely modified. There should be little, if any difference per Generation, certainly not that much difference. That's my opinion based on how I read the picture. Back looks to be down a bit though. Now if you have a hidden jack under there .......... :)

Any part #s on the struts so you can see what they are all about.

· 3rd gen > all others
4,583 Posts
They ARE different. Lots of differences in springs. I know what you did.....

You got struts from a long wheelbase van, and put them on your short wheelbase van. That is why the front is so high.

When I got my van, it was the opposite (too low in front, weak springs). Turns out someone replaced the struts with FCS quick struts, which are listed only for short wheelbase vans. I replaced them with used Pacifica struts and spacers to lift my van because it's AWD. You are going to need different struts, or put lift blocks in the rear between the spring and axle beam to level it (if you like the lifted look).

Might look for a better sliding door while you're at it. Like on my 2000 van, it looks like your rust is going past the door seal. That will let in exhaust fumes and make you sick. That's why I quit driving my 2000 van, and then bought my 2004. I do have other solid sliding doors to swap onto it though, so that I can drive it again.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
At the time I had full reign to a junkyard and I was pulling Caravan/T&C parts left and right. I can't recall which part came from what vehicle. I may just create a frankenstein Caravan and lift the rear. It's going to generally be a winter vehicle.

As far as the rust and sliding doors; that's from sitting 6-7 years. She was clean back in 2015-2016. A lot of stuff rusted apart in that time. As much as I don't want to dump any more dollars in to this, I might fabricate some rocker panels.

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
They ARE different. Lots of differences in springs. I know what you did.....
You got struts from a long wheelbase van, and put them on your short wheelbase van. That is why the front is so high.
Rockauto.com is showing Gabriel G56957 (right) and G56956 (left) throughout the 4th Generation whether they be 2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L, short or long versions. Similar for other strut assembly manufacturers.
Raised roof, handicapped and 4WD/AWD versions may differ, but aren't specifically shown to confirm as such.

Reactions: markfothebeast

· Banned
1,025 Posts

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
Rockauto.com has rocker panel covers (slipons) as well, made by Keystone. Here they spot weld them over the existing rocker panels and body seal the seams. Some on Amazon too.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rockauto.com is showing Gabriel G56957 (right) and G56956 (left) throughout the 4th Generation whether they be 2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L, short or long versions. Similar for other strut assembly manufacturers.
Raised roof, handicapped and 4WD/AWD versions may differ, but aren't specifically shown to confirm as such.
Exactly what I had found when I initially researched this some years ago. Just working on getting this back on the road.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No thanks. I see rotten vehicles every day around here, and I hate it. I'd love to get out of here and move to the Southwest.
Do your 2000'ish Chevy 1500 truck chassis' collapse over there too?
FWIW, there are at least 8 different (strut coil) springs for '05 MY in factory catalog (which is pretty moot now, unless you use donor vin to check what spring came with it)
Thanks. Good info. I'm bored with this thing and I think I'll jack up the rear and bring it to an alignment shop. Just for sh*ts and giggles. Maybe I have a buddy that has some big Jeep wheels with the same bolt pattern.

· Banned
1,025 Posts
Do your 2000'ish Chevy 1500 truck chassis' collapse over there too?
My '04 hasn't because I keep it out of the road salt, but plenty of others do. I see lots of ~2004-2010 Ford F150s with rotten frames. And, F250s with the bedsides falling off.

I also see pickups that look like they are barely paid off that already have holes in the rockers and over the rear wheels.

It truly is sickening.

· 3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,434 Posts
FWIW, there are at least 8 different (strut coil) springs for '05 MY in factory catalog (which is pretty moot now, unless you use donor vin to check what spring came with it)
There are 54 different coil springs and 4 struts for the 2007.

There are 17 springs for my 1997

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No one has asked if the suspension was tightened up with the van on the ground.
If the suspension was drooping that could be causing the lift.
Do you mean control arm bushing preload? If so, I set that recently. Initially I thought that was what was causing the excessive ride height. Is there something else that needs to be tightened at ride height? It's been years since I replaced the suspension so I can't remember much.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts