The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm desperately hoping someone out there can help me, FAST!!!! When I took my daughter to the hospital yesterday, the only key to my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT disappeared!!!!! It is electronic with 6 buttons-Panic, lock, unlock, two sliding doors, back hatch.

Is there a way to get a replacement key even though I do not have the vehicle with me (I have the VIN, though)? I have to do this in the next day or so because I'm afraid someone would just walk around pressing the panic button then steal my van....

I did find a site that claims they can make such a key but they said it would have to be programmed after that and I'd need the part number. Can I trust this claim? Also, we are not exactly wealthy so what is it going to cost to program?

I appreciate any ideas that come along, we are freaked out and a family of 7 without transportation is not a good thing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some dealers charge $160 to $250 for a new programmed key. Ace Hardware sells a key / no 6 buttons for about $80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. So far the best I've come up with is $185 from a locksmith because he said he had to purchase the pin to the vans' computer and program both they key and the chip. This is for a basic microchip key with no buttons. To replace the one I had most locksmiths are wanting over $300. I'm hoping I may be able to do the cheaper, basic microchip key and if someone knows a reliable place I can buy the key with the 6 buttons. Once that is done, he said he would only charge me $65 to program that one.

It just seems like its going to kill me no matter what but maybe someone will know a reliable and reasonable place to buy the real key.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Checkout ebay...there are like 5 pages of replacement keys for chryslers including your 6 button one...Not sure if you have time to get one in that way or not considering your situation ...Good Luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just a thought... Is there any possibility you managed to lock the key in the back hatch area or set them down on the floor? If you think the key is inside the van, you can take the VIN and likely your title or registration to the dealer and see if they will cut you a non-chipped key that will at least open the door so you can look around inside. Might just be a few bucks to do it that way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Assuming that you have a locksmith resolve your problem, which will be cheaper than a dealer, have an additional plain, regular key made. This will be inexpensive and will get you in the door, if you lock your keys inside. You can keep the spare key in your wallet/purse or in a hid-a key container hidden on the vehicle.
Never have just one key to the vehicle; it's just a matter of time.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The strange thing is that we have looked into getting a copy just recently and the dealership we were at said they didn't do them. Also, hospital security broke in so I could search in case I left it in the van, not there. Once we get the replacement key, I am getting a basic key as well but it will cost an additional $185.

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been lectured before on this being a DIY forum but, just FYI, I have had the experience more than once of aftermarket keys that will program OK but, then not all the buttons will function correctly. I know because I've been there more than once. If you do end up buying Non-OEM key(s), just be sure the seller plans to assist you in making them work properly or back them with a warranty.

Also, if the dealer you tried didn't make keys then, please seek another dealer.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not trying to lecture anyone --just offer some advice. I had "chip" key made for my T&C at a local locksmith at a far lower price than the dealership price, and it was guaranteed to work. It has not failed in 4 years. At the same time I had another "non-chip" key made that will unlock the vehicle, at a cost of something like $5. It has already paid for itself a couple times.
With a little creativity, it is possible to to make one "chip" key suffice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not trying to lecture anyone --just offer some advice. I had "chip" key made for my T&C at a local locksmith at a far lower price than the dealership price, and it was guaranteed to work. It has not failed in 4 years. At the same time I had another "non-chip" key made that will unlock the vehicle, at a cost of something like $5. It has already paid for itself a couple times.
With a little creativity, it is possible to to make one "chip" key suffice.
So, was the locksmith able to produce a key from a VIN? I don't know the answer to this. I've never had to use a locksmith in a situation like this so, I can't speak of the experience. However, I have had many instances where customers have had this situation or more frequently, a scare... Where they thought they had lost their only entry/start key. The dealership I deal with will at the customer's request, cut a non-chipped key, By VIN if needed at absolutely no charge. Granted, this service isn't common anymore and I would be surprised if any dealer would charge much to do it. But, I am assuming here so, perhaps I'm just spoiled.

·
Registered
741 Posts
x2 on everything Dave said -- I find dealerships in general in terms of getting key or SKIM PIN codes. I was never charged for this service -- they are always happy to produce a print off after seeing proof of ownership.

There are two ways locksmiths can produce SKIM keys:

1) Is to clone they key -- there are aftermarket solutions that will read chip key code and program THE SAME code into a different key.

2) Locksmiths can get access to Chrysler's DB via TechAuthority (https://techauthority.locksmithsdrm.com/dc-sdrm/) -- but this is $20 per request cost to them, which has to be passed onto customer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No idea if this will work on your van but when I was using my Mom's 2003 Taurus, I had a cheapie non-chip key made as I had a tendency to lock the doors with the keys inside, anyway... I could start the car wtih the remote starter and use my non-chip key in the ignition once it was running. I do believe the remote starter was after market though and that may have had in influence. We were down to 1 original chip key at that time, at least I thought so. Mom got older and we gave the car to the sister and all of a sudden she has two chip-keys, both original. Makes you wonder!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts