The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Yegor and I live in Russia. I am going to buy Dodge Grand Caravan (2002-2003) there and to install CNG equipment.

I already have an CNG car and you can look at it
at http://yegorus.narod.ru/Car/Getz-methane.htm but it is already too
small for my growing family.

The equipment itself is not a problem. There are several kits of 4th
generation gas injector. The problem is how to arrange CNG cylinders.
I heard that CNG Caravans were equipped with 4 or 5 underfloor cylinders.

Do there anyboody hear about Caravans with CNS?

What is the cylinder size and volume? How do they decrease the
ground clearance? What is the CNG mileage?

I will appreciate your answers.

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the club! If someone here can't help you, I belive there was a post on Allpar that was to this effect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cylinders

The US spec CNG caravan used 4 storage cylinders, which were under the floor in the rear of the van. They took the place of both the gas tank and the spare tire. The spare tire was moved inside the van on factory CNG models.

I do not know the volume of the cylinders, only that there were 4 and when charged to 3000 PSI, it had a range of around 250 miles; about half the range of the gasoline version. Ground clearance was not reduced, because the gas tank and underfloor spare tire were removed.

The cylinders were aluminum, wrapped in a protective glass and epoxy shell. Typical US commodity cylinders are only rated for around 2500 PSI, so whatever they put in must have been completely custom.

US government is very restrictive about transporting high pressure gas on public roads, so it was probably extremely overprotected; in Russia you could probably put 2 extra cylinders in with the space that was used for all the protective wrappings.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
:hi2: Welcome to The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums! :biggrin:

Here you will find the smartest, wittiest community of minivan drivers around. We are very passionate about the Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan, and Plymouth Voyager/Grand Voyager vehicles we drive. We hope that our experience can be of assistance to you with your own vehicle(s), and we look forward to learning from your experiences as well. After all, the more that is shared, the richer our community becomes. Here is some information that you may or may not have already heard that will help you get adjusted to the forums:

First a word about Technical Service Bulletins [TSBs] / Recalls. If you are new to the forum, please have your vehicle identification number [VIN] ready along with the MAKE, MODEL, TRIM and Engine Size [e.g. 3.3L V6]. A lot of problems can be resolved on a vehicle by making sure that it is up to date on all recall/TSB repairs. These repairs can be completed FREE of charge at your local authorized Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer. You can check the recall status of your vehicle online. To do so, have your VIN number ready and go to http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/ for all Chrysler brand vehicles, and http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/ for all Dodge brand vehicles.

We would highly encourage you to pick up a Haynes/Chilton Repair Manual and/or Factory Service Manual for your model year Chrysler minivan. They are available online, as well as at several retail auto parts stores. These books are a great reference and will save you a lot of time and trouble when working on your vehicle, and it is money well spent. You may also wish to invest in online services that offer the same information. A good one that I have had experience with is AllDataDIY.com.

Located at the top of the forum is the SEARCH function. This is a very powerful tool that can help you find the answer to several very commonly asked questions. I would invite you to make this your first stop before posting a new thread in the forums.

Finally, I would invite you to join the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Online Showroom. Should you like, please take a digital photograph of your minivan from the front driver's side corner. Then, all you need to do is email the photograph in an attachment to [email protected], making sure to put your forum username in the SUBJECT line of the email. Your photograph will be automatically uploaded to the showroom. Once you're done, go to www.tinyurl.com/d39osq to view the online showroom and see your vehicle on display amongst all of ours! [If you'd like to see some examples of pictures you can always view the showroom first!]

Click HERE For More Information The Online Showroom

Utilizing the "User CP" link at the top left corner of the page, please fill out your user profile. In addition, it would be helpful to us if you could include your vehicle(s) year, make, model, trim and mileage in your signature so we may reference it if need be on your posts. [e.g. "1996 Chrysler Town & Country LXi 123,456 Miles | 198 683 kms"]

Again, welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club. :thumb:

-Chrysler1924

1 - 5 of 5 Posts