The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Grand Caravan GT with 45k miles and the transmission just broke, two payments left, this has absolutely been the worst car I've ever owned.

I called dodge to complain about their low year warranty for their transmission, and they said they want to take apart my transmission to see if it's defective. If not they want to charge me $2,800 just for the labor of checking.

I still have two payments left on this car and I never even want to hear the name Dodge or Chrysler again. Should I just tell them no and take it to get repaired at a third party auto shop? I believe for a little more than that I could have it rebuilt? (I may be wrong.)

If it turns out they deem it's not "defective" I will have to pay $2,800 + something like $6,000 on a $30k car that im still making payments for.

This just seems like extortion/gambling for me.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have been contacted by DodgeCares and that's how I got them to tell me they would find out if its defective for $2,800. Thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
22,233 Posts
Is your transmission in "limp mode"? low on fluid? what are you experiencing?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Why isn't it covered by the Powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
probably because it's over 5 years old. my 2014 will be 6 years old next month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your transmission in "limp mode"? low on fluid? what are you experiencing?
I really don't know whats wrong with it, when I asked dodge they said they have to take it apart to find out which would cost $2,800

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It broke. Like, in half or something? lol

Does it not go into forward, or reverse, or make bad sounds...?

·
Registered
675 Posts
its over 5 years, my wife really only uses it for groceries and dropping the kids off to school
probably because it's over 5 years old. my 2014 will be 6 years old next month.
Duh! My 2015 feels so new still that I didn't realize a 2014 is 5 years old now! :oops:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Could be broken flex plate.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i'd strongly suggest getting a second or third opinion on what could be wrong with the vehicle

simple things like low transmission fluid, bad solenoid packs, etc are great oppertunities for scam artists to trick you into thinking you need an entire new transmission

your transmission may very well be toast, but let's bet on the opposite

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'd strongly suggest getting a second or third opinion on what could be wrong with the vehicle

simple things like low transmission fluid, bad solenoid packs, etc are great oppertunities for scam artists to trick you into thinking you need an entire new transmission

your transmission may very well be toast, but let's bet on the opposite
Unfortunately the Dodge representative yesterday closed my case when I complained so my wife called in to start the process of taking apart our transmission. I definitely will get a second opinion if they come back that its not a defective dodge part but I guess I'm out $2,800 already.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Unfortunately the Dodge representative yesterday closed my case when I complained so my wife called in to start the process of taking apart our transmission. I definitely will get a second opinion if they come back that its not a defective dodge part but I guess I'm out $2,800 already.
Will they give you any codes or anything?

Seems like a rather vague complaint, and a weird arrangement from this dealer. I'd want to have it checked by a second place for sure before committing that much to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will they give you any codes or anything?

Seems like a rather vague complaint, and a weird arrangement from this dealer. I'd want to have it checked by a second place for sure before committing that much to it.
At this point I believe that is from the Dodge Cares Rep, they told me to work it out with the Dealer I don't know what else to do, Id have to pay out of pocket even more to get it towed to another Dodge Dealer

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,906 Posts
A broken fkexplate will start making a knocking sound, tgen if you keep driving it, it will not work anymore.

Dealership charged me $100.00 for diagnosis.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah no offense but I'm not sure what your thinking paying $2800 to diagnose. I would take to a reputable shop and have them look at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah no offense but I'm not sure what your thinking paying $2800 to diagnose. I would take to a reputable shop and have them look at it.
My wife agreed to it because they said if the part is defective they will fix it for free.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts