The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
What engine? Diagrams are slightly different for each.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Fuse 16 (25A) and the ASD relay control the power to the coils. If not that then it's wire tracing time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Why not completely remove the airbag controller? You're not using it. Only thing it will do is throw a light that you can leave unplugged. Never seen an airbag signal kill the engine right after a start. It's only meant to do it right after a crash.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Powertrain should function without other systems attached. Don't have a van of that generation at the shop to test it on, but I've dealt with wrecked cars that needed lights off to be able to pass a rebuild inspection. Never seen an airbag keep any from cranking. Are you certain it was the airbag module you disconnected?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
No need to double post. Pretty sure we both read all replies when we check. ;)

Security shouldn't be an issue. Security cuts fuel, not spark. I think it should just play dead, but that's how it is done.

So there's no voltage to coils or injectors with the key in Run? And your turn signals don't work... Did you turn the key to Run before trying them? If not, do it. If you did, or try and they still don't work, then you have an issue with the ignition switch not activating the Run circuit. Of course this assumes that the turn signal circuit is still functioning properly.

I'll see if I can get the power distribution diagrams.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
From the manual:
The ignition coil assembly consists of 2 or 3 independent coils molded together. The coil assembly for the 3.3/3.8L is mounted on the intake manifold. The coil assembly for the 2.4L is mounted on the cylinder head cover. Spark plug cables route to each cylinder from the coil.

The coil fires two spark plugs every power stroke. One plug is the cylinder under compression, the other cylinder fires on the exhaust stroke. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determines which of the coils to charge and fire at the correct time.

The Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay provides battery voltage to the ignition coil. The PCM provides a ground contact (circuit) for energizing the coil. When the PCM breaks the contact, the magnetic energy in the coil transfers to the secondary causing the spark. The PCM will de-energize the ASD relay if it does not receive the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor inputs. Refer to Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay-PCM Output, in this section for relay operation.
And power and ground distribution attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
The attached diagram should answer that question better than I can. :p
BTW I love your tag line. If and when I get DT running I will have to work on a good tag line. DT being Dodge Trike ;)
"Big Kid, Big Toy" ;)

Attachments

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Security isn't the issue. Issue is no spark. Security cuts fuel. On some (rare, modern European) vehicles it cuts spark as well, but not this one.

Are you certain cam and crank sensors are good? From the info I posted a few days ago, those are most likely the issue, assuming all wiring is good.

Reactions: Special Edy

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Unless you cut them while live, cut multiple wires at once, or didn't tape an end that made contact with ground or another wire... I don't see how disconnecting circuits in the dash would kill the PCM. How much cutting did you do exactly? The pic you posted on the first page barely even shows any wires in it.

A pulse doesn't necessarily mean a good sensor. The pulse can be different from what the PCM is looking for and it will ignore it.

Reactions: Special Edy

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Seeing as you're running essentially a stripped chassis, what systems do you actually need? Most BCM connected systems are for interior functions. Aside from ignition power and immobilizer, none deal with engine management.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Unless you delete security from the PCM, I don't think a complete BCM removal is possible. BCM is part of the security handshake. Most other functions can be bypassed though. It will take studying of the diagrams for the system in question and converting the circuits to standard relays. Thankfully Dodge took care of that part when I wired in my external fuel pump relay. :p

I'll dig those up later. Son's birthday today... about to go do stuff with him.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Got a while before grandkids. This is my oldest and he's 10. Just gave him "the talk" a few weeks ago, a lot earlier than I expected to have to. But I did throw in there "I better not have grandkids until you're about 30." :p

Couldn't find pretty color diagrams for the head and fog lights, but I included the OE black and whites and attached the schematic diagrams of both interior and exterior light circuits to the end of them.

Signal lights, cluster, and wipers (you didn't mention, but figured you might want them too) circuits are all in color.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Anti-theft isn't one of those things they like to give full schematics for. Won't find any internal module wiring on these either. Most of these switches can be bypassed with simple jumpers to ground.

Attachments

Reactions: Ed Littell

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Well that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm out of ideas, unless you can get the borrowed PCM programmed to your keys.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
So your security hunch may have been right even though the symptoms were out of line with it.

Out of curiosity, what circuit did you find damaged in the BCM? Last time I had to trace a computer to figure out a no start was a mid-2000s Pathfinder. It's PCM fried in the IACV circuit. Turns out the IACV had leaked coolant into its electrical side causing the PCM to insta-fry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts