The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Anti-theft isn't one of those things they like to give full schematics for. Won't find any internal module wiring on these either. Most of these switches can be bypassed with simple jumpers to ground.
Thanks again. Your files are much better than the manual. This file has much more detailed information. I am going to remove the skim with the new pcm. I have seen online this will keep the pcm from having control of the active keys.
I am afraid the atss in the pcm or bcm has locked out the ignition on #1pcm and locked out the cranking on the #2. I am going to check ignition and fuel pulse on#2 pcm by using a remote crank switch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Tried to reply to your other post but could not. Claimed it was spam. Here was the post yesterday.

Nice! Cars before the 80s were pretty simple to work on. I grew up working on cars. Dad and my uncles were backyard mechanics. I became the parts washer when I was about 9. 50 some years later I still like doing my own stuff. From tuneup to rebuilds it is all on me. Thanks for the hookup. Btw this account is new as I haven't been on in a while and can't find the old account.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Update on the missing ignition pulse. Borrowed PCM locked out to a no crank no start. Had ignition pulse no injector pulse when jumping past starter relay. Ordered replacement PCM installed it and back to square one. Injectors working no spark pulse. from everything I have read the security system cuts out the fuel system. Strange that I get the spark with the wrong PCM but not with the correct modules. On the borrowed PCM I did try a different key still no cranking. Chasing dragons at this point. Hard resets and pulling the IOD fuse do not seem to change results. Still, no instrument gauge or lights working. ANY hints please feel free to post. Also, I have installed new cam and crank sensors.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,311 Posts
Well that makes no sense whatsoever. I'm out of ideas, unless you can get the borrowed PCM programmed to your keys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Really crazy right. Right now I seem to be between a rock and the hard place. I can't do any of the relearn or self programming steps. RKE is the system I am looking at now. Ready to order a bmv on the thoughts of possible damage of wiring and missing parts. Rke module is somewhere. Only have one door, other 4 gone to scrap. If I had access to a better scanner maybe I could find something. At this point I am into this project about what rebuilding the vw 1200cc would have cost. But then I wouldn't have a 180hp trike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Believe it or not the old van lives again. Guess it is not wasted work if the work news to be done anyway. New pcm didn't work. Took the bcm apart and noticed one connection that might have gotten hot. Not a connection that I will need going forward but, sourced a replacement. Got it in yesterday, installed today. Motor fired and ran on the first turn of the key. 10 months since it last ran.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,311 Posts
So your security hunch may have been right even though the symptoms were out of line with it.

Out of curiosity, what circuit did you find damaged in the BCM? Last time I had to trace a computer to figure out a no start was a mid-2000s Pathfinder. It's PCM fried in the IACV circuit. Turns out the IACV had leaked coolant into its electrical side causing the PCM to insta-fry.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I believe it was one of the lines going to the auto open/close sliding doors. Can't remember if it was a sense line or control. Either I guess would have cooked one of the many chips on the board. The contact pin still measured good but, the protective coating had turned lighter color on that pin and was a bit loose. With your help here I was able to trace and mark each wire. Learned that much of what I thought had to be left can be removed. I will be sure to post more photos of the project as it goes along.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts