The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to completely remove the AWD from my 2002 T&C.
I realize the rear diff ect will still be there but the front PTU is leak gear lube and I want to remove it. I read elsewhere the PTU goes between the trans and right front Axle. Any input would be great thank you!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my PTU replaced. Was gonna do it myself..but parts were cheaper through the shop..imagine that! Anyway looking at the different exploded views and diagrams of how it all fits together while as I was researching the job, it seems the new axle would have to pass through the old ptu as it is a specific case to accomodate the ptu and I think removing it would leave a void where it once was. Also the AWD trans and the FWD trans have different model numbers. That was 6 months ago so my memory is fuzzy. HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad PTU

Thanks for the reply!! I really am trying to avoid replacing the PTU due to the cost and though AWD is great I dont feel its needed for where we live. I have been using it without the rear driveshaft for a while now and it drives great but now the input seal in the PTU is leaking gear lube and I really dont what to replace a seal in a "broken" PTU.
Can I ask what the shop charged you for the replacement?? Thank you!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
You cannot get rid of the PTU case -- the AWD transmission is different from the non-AWD. So replacing the seal is probably the easiest route. If you look on www.car-parts.com for yards that list AWD trannies, some of them are willing to split the PTU off for $200 or so. Note that 01 PTU is not compatible with 02+ PTUs, different part numbers. Since yours is an 02, you need to be looking for 02+ PTUs.

I found AWD setup to be fairly reliable IF you watch tire wear (i.e. rotate frequently) and pressure meticulously. Front tires have to always have MORE or the same amount of thread as the rear tires and you ALWAYS have to change 4 tires at a time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply!! I really am trying to avoid replacing the PTU due to the cost and though AWD is great I dont feel its needed for where we live. I have been using it without the rear driveshaft for a while now and it drives great but now the input seal in the PTU is leaking gear lube and I really dont what to replace a seal in a "broken" PTU.
Can I ask what the shop charged you for the replacement?? Thank you!!
Sorry for the late reply..It is a place in the Lakes Region area of New Hampshire where I live called Lifetime Transmission. They were awesome through and through and for the PTU and Tranny labor and lifetime guarantee including labor was $3800 and they had it done in 3 days!! Check out their website http://www.lifetimetransmissionsnh.com/ and call em wih any question..they were excellent, and I couldnt even source the parts for what they could and installed for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts