The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On-going issue with 2011 T&C Limited where it will only start on the 2nd try. I searched the forum and didn't seem to find this exact problem. What happens:

1. First attempt pushing start button; either doesn't start or starts but runs extremely rough as if out of time.
2. If it does start (and running rough and erratic) push the button again to stop. Otherwise, go straight to step 3.
3. Second attempt it starts like a champ - totally normal. Evey time.

The van has to sit for at least a few hours for this to happen

Over the course of this problem, installed new battery, replaced camshaft position sensor (check engine light), and replaced plugs and coils (it was due) in addition to regular maintenance items. Starter was checked by my mechanic and he says "good". I'm trying to add a link to a video below. Using the "Insert media" option didn't work since it would not accept the URL.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A sticking relay? (pure guess)
A failing fuel pump? Ever notice how, with all the car stuff we read, never is scope testing a fuel pump motor mentioned.
An 'almost completely clogged' fuel filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are interesting ideas on the fuel system. I need to think on it some. I'm not sure it makes total sense since a relay/pump/filter problem could cause intermittent problems under any conditions I would think, and I only have it on the first start attempt. However, it's the best lead I've gotten for a while and will check into it. I have looked at replacing the TIPM, but that's expensive and a bit of a gamble. Thanks to both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
104K. Battery has been replaced during the timeframe of these "troubles". I monitor battery voltage; both charging and resting are good. I have found and ordered the relay bypass kit. Still not clear to me how this would cause my problem, but it's a cheap experiment. The seller's ebay page gives a lot of information and lists my problem as something it can fix. TIPM Repair Kit Fuel Pump Relay Bypass Cable 07-19 Dodge Jeep Chrysler USA Made | eBay

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I just put this together a few days ago. It's most likely the solution to your problem. Really thought the mods would have stickied it by now.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Car Vehicle Font Photo caption Event

You made me think of this.

That's all I have to contribute. Carry on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts