The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these still exist anywhere as new replacements parts? I can't find any. My driver’s doors unlock is getting weak. Only actuator available I can find is the sliding door.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I’m curious if this is a common fail item. Considering how universal this part probably is and the vast number of compatible vehicles produced.

Has anybody else experienced weak or non-working door locks? My passenger side works perfect, but the driver side is on its last leg and soon to be in-op with the coming summer heat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do these still exist anywhere as new replacements parts? I can't find any. My driver’s doors unlock is getting weak. Only actuator available I can find is the sliding door.
It's an electro-magnet, correct? Do you have a photo of one? I know that you are looking for new parts, but I might have a used one from the 93 Chrysler I scrapped out in 2010. The part I'm thinking of is a white plastic deal with a stem about 2 1/2" long.
But I would imagine that something could be adapted to do the same job. (If parts guys were like years back, all you would need to do is show them the failed part, and they might well know of something pretty similar. Do you have a way to cross-reference the part number, to see if it was used in the later gen minivans, or in sedans as well?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dug out the one for the left door, or at least if I understand what you are talking about. The tag has the following information, in 4 lines as I typed it in below:
WIRES
LEFT

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I haven’t laid eyes on the actuator yet. My hope was to wait/take everything apart when all replacement parts are in hand. My van has lower miles and the interior door panel has never been off. I already have a new outside handle and window regulator assembly. I’ve been waiting for a 91–95 to show up at the local pick n pull yards. I want to investigate this and a few other things. Also look at others of the same era which might use the same lock actuator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now I’m curious if this is a common fail item. Considering how universal this part probably is and the vast number of compatible vehicles produced.

Has anybody else experienced weak or non-working door locks? My passenger side works perfect, but the driver side is on its last leg and soon to be in-op with the coming summer heat.
I have the same issue with the driver door not unlocking while the rest do just fine. I haven't attempted to fix the issue yet, I just unlock it with a key....I've gotten used to that lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the same issue with the driver door not unlocking while the rest do just fine. I haven't attempted to fix the issue yet, I just unlock it with a key....I've gotten used to that lol
The vehicle from which I took the part above did NOT have the remote lock/unlock feature, only the key operated lock/unlock. So maybe the photo I posted is not the correct part, unless on yours (Sanchez) the interior door lock (toggle) switch also no longer works. At least I suspect that's what this actuator did on my 93. I'd have to look at the door lock assembly again to be able to say if turning the key in the lock physically disengaged the lock, or if it ran the lock mechanism electrically. (I dismantled this car over 10 years ago, so I do not remember.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here is a picture of the part I think you are talking about.
View attachment 66404
That's not a door lock actuator. It is a switch for the security alarm system. Older Chrysler vehicles used a separate actuator. At some point Chrysler began making the actuator integral with the latch. I can't recall what type a 2nd gen van would have. However, if it still used a separate type of actuator it would be much more substantial in size than the switch that you show.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's not a door lock actuator. It is a switch for the security alarm system. Older Chrysler vehicles used a separate actuator. At some point Chrysler began making the actuator integral with the latch. I can't recall what type a 2nd gen van would have. However, if it still used a separate type of actuator it would be much more substantial in size than the switch that you show.
OK. Makes sense. I didn't catch on right away that the question had to do with a REMOTE lock/unlock control. Our 93 T & C was pretty much top of the line in terms of all of the options I heard of as offered then, but it did not have remotes, just the simple keys.
But there are aftermarket remote systems available - my son installed one in his Chevy, and my son-in-law installed one in a Honda my daughter had when they got married. (I helped my son with installing his, but wasn't involved with the other project.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts