The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the rubber seals around the doorframes of my aunt's '04 T&C are pretty worn. Does anyone know how much of rubber seal/weather stepping is needed to replace all the doors, including the back hatch? And would be the best place to purchase replacement weather stripping?

Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Black silicone rubber works well to patch weather stripping, but the issue is that it takes time to cure. To 'cure' that issue, fill the area with silicone rubber (sometimes I've used a piece of flexible tubing to bridge the torn gap), cover the filled area with plastic wrap (not Saran Wrap), and close the door. You've now made an almost perfect seal. You can use the car as normal, and it usually takes a week or so for the silicone rubber to cure. Once cured, you can remove the plastic wrap. Also, once covered, a wet finger will allow you to make a nice smooth surface on the rubber.

Of note, most silicone rubbers cure using the moisture in the air, which is why you can't use Saran wrap, as it is too impervious to moisture.

Levy, who lives in the desert, would have issues with silicone rubber!

Jeepman, who's Canadian, would just have issues!

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
I put a new door weather strip on my Jeep last year. One area, at a corner, was very delicate, the aftermarket strip not fitting properly, and of course it came apart. Some modifications, nylon thread and Shoe Goo to the rescue. No issues (note that marvinstockman). :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts