The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a comment of the quality of:
Dorman Gen 5 rearview mirrors, powered, heated, w/turn signals. I am looking to upgrade for the safety features of the signal lights. Or is there another option to do ? Once I find out more I’ll post about the needed programming. Tks. BW

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Dorman stuff seems to work ok. Fit and finish not the greatest though. Good thing they exist and cover up for very poor OE plastic plumbing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive never had an issue with doorman. I usually try using oem or aftermarket performance depending on the car and what it's purpose is, though.
But my van, wouldn't hesitate to use doorman parts.
When the cooler finally starts leaking in my jeep, it'll get the doorman one for sure.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My overall experience is positive, with only one caveat. I just installed the driver's side seat track cover with a Dorman part. Flawless. Similar good fortune with TPMS sensors and a charcoal canister for my 2005 Caravan. On the other hand, I've had no luck with their blend door actuators, which were real junk and started clicking and clacking soon after installation.

Agree with goaliemo above on the oil cooler. When my time comes I'll be installing that made-in-USA aluminum part.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
... On the other hand, I've had no luck with their blend door actuators, which were real junk and started clicking and clacking soon after installation. ...
That is one part I've had issues with from them before too. I guess they don't do as good of QA on those. I've had a handful of those not last very long, but in the grand scale of things the failure rate is still pretty low. A bit aggravating when the part is buried so deep though. I will say that the ones I had issues with were Chevys and the OEM replacement actuators were often complete duds. Maybe them flopping around in the boxes during shipping knocks them out of calibration?

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
I had a brand new brake master cylinder from them fail in a day. It didn't leak, it just locked up the brakes and wouldn't release. I had to completely burn up the front brakes and ruin a hub bearing to get the van home (90* summer day with no air conditioning and kids in the car). Returned it and got a remanufactured A-1 Cardone MC and that lasted. So mechanical, moving parts I would hesitate, but cast aluminum and body parts are likely to be okay.

Reactions: Capt W and Jeepman

·
Registered
246 Posts
A pal was in the automotive "after-industry" (repairs, modifications) and had nothing bad to say about Dorman.
I've no complaint with the few items I've bought from them. I would represent the smallest of sample sizes though.
They offer a periodic newsletter and some instructional videos which the same pal, who left cars for computers, said are quite good.

I believe Dorman does not sell to individuals. You go to a parts store which is a customer of theirs and order through them. Dorman deals with many parts stores.
Now that I'm thinking about it......you do see Dorman products sometimes on RockAuto.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Very few major companies deal directly with customers. I had a warranty issue with a Hella product, but the seller wouldn't respond to me. Tried going directly to Hella and they said they only do warranties through their distributors.

Oddly enough, I've been looking to get out of cars and into computers. What field did your friend go into?

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Oddly enough, I've been looking to get out of cars and into computers. What field did your friend go into?

Going to put a Hellcat in your computer? :)

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Going to put a Hellcat in your computer? :)
What makes you think there isn't one already? Not counting Caraline and the Sentra we bought new, I paid more for my last PC upgrade than all the other cars I own.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dorman stuff I used has generally been decent quality, but as noted above "Your mileage may vary". Don't have experience with their mirrors, my cars have factory heated remote mirrors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have used their stuff and not had much of a problem. However, recently I had a Hyundai purge valve of theirs go tits in less than a year. That was a little aggravating and took me awhile to find out what the deal was. Overall I think that they have upped their game a bit. In the past, as in many years ago, they weren't that good but as I said they have upped their game. One thing to remember these days, bad or inferior new parts (even from big name suppliers) is an epidemic. For example, hot rodders are all screaming about inferior, under hardened lifters from big name cam companies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dorman is just a brand. They buy the parts wherever they can, from whoever gives them the best deal. A lot of these specialized parts only have one source, so in that case the Dorman part may be the same as the "OEM" part. A lot of Dorman stuff is exactly the same as NAPA/Autozone/O'Reilly, just reboxed or relabeled.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
They do have an R&D and production wing for their OE Fix line, but most of their stuff is like that.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Just received this contraption (by Dorman) for the Jeep

We will see how Dorman did with that part. Reportedly, the holes for the wiper motor may not line up. Hoping for the best.

Cost Comparisons (delivered):

partsavatar.ca: $292.93

rockauto.com: $308.02

amazon.ca: $324.62

Freight is the killer for rockauto, partsavatar has free delivery for orders over $75.00. I get brake pads and rotors (heavy items) from partsavatar because of rockauto high shipping costs. Funny thing is that two struts ordered separately from rockauto is considerably less expensive than one order containing two struts. Go figure. Wonder if that works for rotors too?

PS: Yes it does A Raybestos front rotor starting out at $64.67, will come to $261.59 delivered if ordered as a pair, whereas the total would be $247.26 delivered if ordered separately.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts