The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We have a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan with 58K miles and a 3.6L engine. Had our oil changed at Take 5 last week and the CEL came on after the third engine start and dist of about 8 miles after the oil change. I have returned to Take 5 twice and they have visually checked to ensure that the components removed during the oil change look okay. First time they found 1 of the 3 clips on the air handler case covering the air filter had not been secured and the second time, they found the air filter was not firmly and squarely seating in the air handler case. But the P06DD code keeps coming back after starting the car a few times after the reset.

I was sitting in the car when they changed the oil and was flabbergasted with all the parts they removed to perform the oil change. Clearly the filter is located in a relatively hard place to reach - but they removed the engine cover as well as the cover of the air intake handler to change the filter. Also, the oil filter is enclosed in some type of housing - so they had to remove and reinstall the housing after changing the oil filter inside the housing. Too many places for any little mistake that could have caused the P06DD code.

I have read the many discussions and posts on this forum regarding the P06DD code and the repairs performed to address the issue. Unfortunately, we do not have an oil gauge or oil pressure monitor on our dashboard - so cannot tell if we are experiencing low oil pressure. But thankfully the car is operating fine and we are not having any operational issues - like the limping engine issues and loss of engine power. We will go to the dealership to try to have the problem addressed - but don't want a never ending list of repairs when the light will not go off after replacing one component after the other. Of course, our extended Dodge 7 yr warranty just expired about a month ago in mid - May - what a pisser. Never even made one claim for the extra $1800 we paid for that plan.

So after reading all the discussions, we will ask the dealership to do the following to address the issue starting with the least expensive to the most costly. Please let me know if the following list needs to be revised or what else needs to be added.

1. Replace existing after market oil filter with Mopar brand
2. Check to ensure O ring in oil filter housing is secure and in place
3. Check and replace the Oil bypass value located under the oil filter in the the housing assembly
4. Check and replace Oil pressure sensor
5. Check and replace the Oil pump. This sounds very expensive. Is there any way for the dealership to check to see if the oil pump is not operating properly? Or is it only those stupid codes these days?

If we do all of these items and the CEL still does not go off, can we drive the car with the P06DD light on as long as we don't have any operational issues with the car??

Joyce

The Take 5 Oil change guys have been very nice each time that I have returned. Maybe I will just purchase a Mopar oil filter and ask them to replace the one they installed - checking for proper O ring position and the condition of the oil bypass value. Probably not, as they likely do not know what those parts even are.

Thanks for any comments or assistance.

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing. Typical sloppy work on the cover for the air filter. The three tabs in the back have to be in place properly as well. The Dealerships can mess that up. Most likely the engine cover is not put back properly either. It doesn't need to come off.

I would be suspecting the oil filter, wrong one or not properly installed. What's the oil level? Mopar oil filter will work. There are more efficient and longer life filters available though like the FRAM XG11665. Go with the Mopar for piece of mind, made by WIX I believe.

Whatever they touched likely caused the problem unless you were having problems before that. I have heard of people trying to install the filter upside down, not good for the oil filter cap which contains the bypass valve. The cap should be checked.

Do you have EVIC on your dash board?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horrors - I just called the Dodge dealership and they charge a set fee of $160 to determine the reasons for a CEL. This $160 does NOT include the costs of any needed repairs. So the $160 is to just hook the little code monitor to the car - so that they can tell that the code is P06DD. Does a dealership's diagnostic system provide more detailed info??

So told them I just wanted the oil filter replaced with a Mopar one and the O ring checked - further research shows a new O ring comes with the oil filter. But my research also disclosed that the oil filter bypass valve is only an aftermarket part - so if broken, the dealership would require replacement of the entire oil cooler assembly. So I just called the Dodge dealership parts department and the very nice gentleman verified that that they do not have an oil filter bypass valve part and confirmed that the entire oil cooler would have to be replaced. She suggested that I purchase the aftermarket valve. Ugh!

So will purchase both the Mopar filter and oil filter bypass valve and take it to the local auto repair shop for the replacement of oil filter and oil ring and the valve. Not rocket science and wonder how much they will charge??

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
The oil filter cap contains the bypass valve in it. Can get the cap at Amazon or rockauto.com and other places. Mopar lists it but likely doesn't have it in stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan has a oil filter bypass valve?? Cannot find an aftermarket part online anywhere for a 2015. The Dorman 917-922 Oil Filter Bypass Valve is mentioned on this forum and others are only for 2011 to 2013 vans. Any help would be appreciated?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, Jeepman, I guess you answered my question. So the bypass valve is located in the oil filter cap in a 2015 dodge caravan. Can I order both the Mopar Oil filter and Mopar oil filter cap from Amazon and be assured that they are indeed authorized Mopar Parts?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
I hope they didn't crack your oil filter housing. Any oil leaks?
Your Dealership should have both the filter and the Mopar Oil Filter Cover (cap) #68191350AA.
Can't confirm quality control through Amazon / Seller fulfillment of transactions. The Dorman part #917-190 should be okay.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
177 Posts
Car throws code after they worked on it. They should take ownership to fix it. Not owner's responsibility for fixing their mistakes.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Probably not helpful, but suggest you not go to Take 5 (does that mean take 5 trips back to fix our mistakes?).

I would pay the $160 if they do a real diagnosis. It would be worth it this time. In my opinion of course. Your decision not mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey dkf747,

See you own a 2015 Dodge Caravan. Yes - the problem is whether it will be a real diagnosis and they can truly ascertain what is really wrong. I have read on the forum where the dealership will start with changing the oil pressure sensor, the oil pump, and I not sure what else and the light still comes on. Have you had a dealer diagnosis performed and thought that the dealership was thorough?

Thank you everyone for all the comments. Jeepman, I don't think that there are oil leaks so hopefully they did not crack the oil filter housing. So I think that I will go to dealership and buy the Mopar filter and Oil Filter Housing Cap - go to Take 5 and ask them to remove and replace the oil filter, O ring, and cap and hope that will take care of CEL code P066DD.

If not, have no choice but a dealership or an auto repair shop - ugh!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Honestly, if the car is operating fine, can we just ignore the light? Or really not safe to do so?
More than Likely yes. It may be a false reading or bad sensor. If you can turn on the oil pressure display, and you have good oil pressures that go up and down with engine speed, (and enough oil on the dipstick) then you can feel better about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, the Dealer wanted to charge $63 to install a new Mopar oil filter and check the O ring on the filter cap. Same price as a full oil change per their website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More than Likely yes. It may be a false reading or bad sensor. If you can turn on the oil pressure display, and you have good oil pressures that go up and down with engine speed, (and enough oil on the dipstick) then you can feel better about it.
How do you turn on the oil pressure display?? We do not have any type of oil gauge on the dashboard of our 2015 Dodge Caravan.

·
Registered
177 Posts
BTW, the Dealer wanted to charge $63 to install a new Mopar oil filter and check the O ring on the filter cap. Same price as a full oil change per their website.
TC oil filter is one of the easiest and neatest to do of any cars I've owned in my life (because it is up top). If that encourages you to do it yourself.-- I would not rush to change the filter and O-ring since it is new. I think it is unlikely to be the problem.

Pop the top engine cover off (pops off). Locate the oil filter cap. Have a tool to unscrew it off (??24mm socket wrench I think). You can work around the air filter and breather tube or loosen it for more clearance. Pull / wiggle / work the old filter out (have rag to catch the drips), insert new filter in proper direction. Change new o ring on the cap and lubricate with oil, tighten back down until it bottoms into housing-- not too tight to crack it. Done.

I was hoping you could see a display number, which I can on my TC.

·
Super Moderator
29,243 Posts
I don't believe the vehicle has an EVIC display. If it does, a few presses of the buttons will display oil temperature and pressure.

The right torque on the oil filter cap (18 ft. lb.) is sort of important so as to clamp the filter between the top and bottom circular surfaces and to not over tighten in the process (can cause cracking). A filter, that's properly tightened, will likely have a slight twist in it when removed (clamping action). Some shorter filters (lengths seem to vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, model to model).may not.

I only need to unclamp the air filter cover and prop it aside to get at my oil filter. Engine cover stays on. I can likely do it without unclamping the air filter cover, will investigate it more next time.

Supposedly, the bypass valve in the cover can be damaged if the filter is not removed from the cover properly. I bought an extra cover just in case plus to see how it's designed.
I think the video is a bit of advertising though. Crushed filter??

Do the oil lube guys/shops check the cover's bypass valve for damage as standard practice? I suspect they don't pull the filter out straight as a rule.

Give me back the old spin on filter. We didn't have the problems these mickey mouse designed oil filter housings are giving for what use to be a simple oil change, not surgery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So purchased the Mopar oil filter and oil filter housing cap from the Dodge dealer yesterday. Went back to Take 5 and asked them to install the Mopar oil filter and cap and the answer was NO. The shop manager stated that they are not allowed to install any parts except those provided by the shop. They refused any responsibility for the CEL even though it occurred directly after their oil change.

So I explained my situation to the local auto repair shop regarding the CEL code and they has agreed to perform an oil change using the Mopar filter and new Mopar oil cap. But they stated that a full oil change is required because when the oil filter is removed - the oil will drain out of the system. Is that true?

I would love to change the oil filter and cap myself because I don't think that it is rocket science - but have never touched a car before in my life except to check the fluid levels and refill. Esp since there is the issue about using only 18 lb torque in reinstalling the oil filter cap. My hubby is even less handy than me - since that is a NO for him for sure.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L 175k mi
288 Posts
Short answer: No, you don’t need a full oil change.

Had the oil filter been at the bottom of the engine then yes, a lot of the oil would drain out. However, the 3.6 engine has the oil filter at the top. You might get a few drips but that’s about it. Put some paper towels around the bottom of the oil filter area.

Watch a video on how to change the oil filter. The cap and filter basically go together so it shouldn’t be a terribly difficult job.

The 18 foot pounds of torque is a “reference.” It’s there in case you want to torque it properly. I highly doubt that anyone torques it. Put simply, 18 foot pounds is not very tight. I would keep tightening the oil filter cap until it “bottoms out.” This basically means that it will stop turning easily. At this point you want to snug it up just a bit. This means turning it 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn (roughly) after it starts to get tight. Remember, 18 ft lbs is not a lot of torque and the cap is plastic. If you’re really worried, harbor freight tools sells a cheap torque wrench which regularly goes on sale for $10.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts