The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2010 T&C with the notorious front brake problem: Harsh grinding, lots of dust, quickly warping rotors. My mechanic shop has changed them three times--even free on service warranty--without resolution.

Has anyone tried installing drilled and slotted rotors, which supposedly brake much cooler? Do they make any real difference?
I fixed the undersized brakes / warping rotors problem on my 2008 Chrysler T&C by installing this kit from Powerstop:

I did have to grind down the ears on the brake pads to get them to fit in the calipers, as they were slightly too big. But other than that, it has been a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
He means upgrading to the larger brakes, we call them heavy duty.

You don't have to swap all the components to HD, the front rotors are the ones that have issues. If you'd like, you can swap just the front calipers to the dual piston ones, upgrade the front rotor size to 330mm (this is the size the HD brakes use in the front), and obviously the bigger pads. You can also choose to upgrade the dust/splash shields to the bigger ones too, if not you need to bend them so they don't strike the larger rotors.

I did the full upgrade on my 2009, I started with the front brakes then went for a drive with the original rear and new heavy duty front. The shaking went away completely, so it was the front that had all the problems. But I upgraded the rear as well since the larger rotor has better cooling and the rear rotors and pads were due to be replaced anyway so why not?
So, then, it's not necessary to go to 17-inch wheels?

Going to larger wheels (and tires) would involve a heck of a lot more total expense, with that total expense not being worth the savings in replacing rotors over the remaining life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The HD brakes don't fit on the 16" wheels, but most Gen5 vans I thought came with 17" wheels from the factory. I thought only the base model and cargo van came with 16" wheels, at least prior to 2012 when the "SD" brakes were still used from the factory.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,475 Posts
So, then, it's not necessary to go to 17-inch wheels?

Going to larger wheels (and tires) would involve a heck of a lot more total expense, with that total expense not being worth the savings in replacing rotors over the remaining life of the vehicle.
The HD brakes will not fit on any wheels smaller then 17" so yes it means switching to 17" rims if you have 16" which does add cost to this upgrade. Some mid level trim vans did come with 17" aluminum rims, like mine which is a few steps above a base model. This includes the spare, which I just upgraded to 17" as well.

Here's the front with HD after the upgrade, notice the sticky weights look like they would almost hit the caliper if a second weight was put onto the first, and I have 17" rims:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,475 Posts
The HD brakes don't fit on the 16" wheels, but most Gen5 vans I thought came with 17" wheels from the factory. I thought only the base model and cargo van came with 16" wheels, at least prior to 2012 when the "SD" brakes were still used from the factory.
My understanding is most SE models and any trim higher have 17" aluminum rims in Canada. This however does not seem to be the case for US vehicles, I see many SXT's with the 16" rims, which is very odd to me.

This is just my observation, and not a fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My 2010 Town & Country Touring minivan does indeed have 16-inch wheels.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
749 Posts
Our '09 GC SXT also had 16" wheels. My parents' '08 T&C that is now ours has 17" wheels.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts