The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm due for tires on our '05 T&C Touring. 215/65R16. We have a set of Michelin Harmony's on it right now. Overall, I'd say they weren't bad tires. However, we aren't coming close to their rated mileage (80K mile tire), as we just now have about 50K miles on them and they are due for replacement. One other thing I didn't like about them, their snow performance was terrible.

So here's what I'm looking for, pretty much in order of requirement:
1) Price
2) Snow traction
3) Wet traction
4) Brand reliability
5) Long wear performance/warranty (60-80K miles)

I'm considering going with Yokohama Avid-TRZ's as I have run those before on a sedan and they performed decent in the snow.

Also looking at Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, as I recently ran a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's on a Focus SVT, and was really impressed by their wet traction and handling (granted, different car, but the traction was impressive.)

I think the GY's were cheaper than the Michelins, so I'm probably not going to run another set of Michelin Harmony's.

I'm looking for input if any of you have ran a different national brand tire (something I can get in OH, anyways) that you feel requires my review and meets my criteria.

Thanks ahead of time for the input!

·
Bewildered
378 Posts
I second the tirerack.com for shopping and research. You can narrow the search by reading other people's experience with the tire in general. I stress this, do not read other people experiences about a tire that were installed on an entirely different vehicle from what you'll be purchasing for. If you compare the same tire on two different vehicles, it is liking comparing apples to oranges.

I'm running Michelin X-Radial on our '03. They have been great tires thus far, but noisy to boot. The OEM goodyears we had before were very comfortable, reasonably quiet, handled clumsy, and poor wet traction.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Very seldom do tires achieve their treadwear rating, partly because they are underinflated at 36 psi and wear the edges much faster than the centers. 40 psi will give a more even, hence longer wear, in my experience.

A tire that provides good traction is likely to wear out faster than a harder tire, ie "trade offs".

Even some "winter" tires aren't all that great in the snow, but are great for icy conditions. Some all season tires are M+S rated, but don't contain the mountain/snowflake symbol. They are usually a tire with a more open tread and will work good for the first winter they are used, maybe even the second winter.

Once a tire is 50% worn, it's has lost a lot of its effectiveness for winter driving. So, long wearing tires may not be the best way to go as you may want to get rid of them before they wear out.

This tire is interesting and has received lots of raves in Europe. It's the Hankook Optimo 4S. Carried in Canada by Canadian Tire, I don't know who carries them in the US. A couple of sites follow:
Hankook Optimo 4S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAmt3oMbccY and http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/22/17614.html
The myth of all season tires: http://www.theenterprisebulletin.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2801016&archive=true

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Meeting ALL those requirements will be very hard to do. To do this, I would get the goodyear triple treads or michelin equivalent. They are pricy, but work in most road conditions and have good life from the vehicles I've seen with them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey all, I'm due for tires on our '05 T&C Touring. 215/65R16. We have a set of Michelin Harmony's on it right now. Overall, I'd say they weren't bad tires. However, we aren't coming close to their rated mileage (80K mile tire), as we just now have about 50K miles on them and they are due for replacement. One other thing I didn't like about them, their snow performance was terrible.

So here's what I'm looking for, pretty much in order of requirement:
1) Price
2) Snow traction
3) Wet traction
4) Brand reliability
5) Long wear performance/warranty (60-80K miles)

I'm considering going with Yokohama Avid-TRZ's as I have run those before on a sedan and they performed decent in the snow.

Also looking at Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, as I recently ran a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's on a Focus SVT, and was really impressed by their wet traction and handling (granted, different car, but the traction was impressive.)

I think the GY's were cheaper than the Michelins, so I'm probably not going to run another set of Michelin Harmony's.

I'm looking for input if any of you have ran a different national brand tire (something I can get in OH, anyways) that you feel requires my review and meets my criteria.

Thanks ahead of time for the input!

Went through this not too long ago myself. Do a quick search for my post regarding this. I got a number of excellent recommendations and selected a set of Michellin tires that I love. My requirements were somewhat different than yours, though.

There are also a number of posts regarding this question... good place for research.

Good luck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
http://reviews.tirebuyer.com/3433/42513/reviews.htmWould you consider Kelly's. I bought a set of Kelly Navigator Touring Gold tires a few months ago and I am very happy with them. They are (to my understanding) a division of Goodyear. They are warrantied through Goodyear. From the research I've done, they review very well. And so far so good. They were also a fraction of the cost of every other tire I looked at.

As for the Avid TRZ's, I had those on previously, I was happy with them except that they dry rotted before they wore out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the TRZs on my sedan right now. They were a very quiet and soft riding tire compared to the Continental ContiProContacts that were on there OEM. I am only going to get about half of the mileage they were warrantied for, and they are also dry rotted after 2 years of use as a previous posted mentioned. Seeing you are in Ohio, they had horrifying snow performance once halfway worn. I will try the Avid Touring S on my sedan next if I try to claim the treadwear warranty (needs to be same brand). If not, I am going with the General Altimax. Great reviews, and everyone I personally know that has them have been very satisfied.

On the van I have Firestone FR380s that have performed well for us. Quiet, smooth, decent winter and wet traction. Definitely not a performance tire by any means. They get horrible reviews, but I am happy with mine. I have almost 40k on them, and they look brand new still somehow.

I do see a lot of 4th GENs out here running Michelin Hydromax. Never had the opportunity to ask the drivers how they like them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a set in 215/65-16 98T for my '06 SXT. I had my choices narrowed down to the Michelin Harmony (Discount Tire) or the Michelin-X (Costco).

I recently purchased and returned a Harmony set for my Malibu (in 215/60-16) that were too noisy (replaced with Michelin Primacy). The Michelin-X looked to have about the same tread pattern as the Harmony. I had no problem with the original Bridgestone Turanza EL-42's that lasted 54K but they currently sell for more than Michelins.

I ended up with Yokohama Avid Touring-S from Discount ($85 each after $40/set rebate). I haven't had them long enough to comment on traction, but they're extremely quiet and ride well. They're rated for 65K so they probably won't last any longer than the Harmony, but I think they're a well made, high quality tire.

You can often tell a cheap tire by how much balance weight it needs. This can depend on how accurate the tire molds are. I've had Michelins before that required no weight at all - they set the quality standard. The Yokohamas need a bit more weight, but not much. They don't vibrate at freeway speeds which is another good sign.

If you don't mind a little tread noise, you can't go wrong with Michelins.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been searching tirerack...only problem there is, tirerack doesn't carry all brands. Using tirerack got me to the GY Assurance ComforTreds. I've been searching google as well, and a few other tire shops. So far I'm not overly impressed with prices. Even the "off" brands are relatively the same price as the advertised brands. I'll probably end up ordering from tirerack, as most of the local chains want about 30% more for the same tire. With that in mind, the GY's seem to be at the top of my list.

As for tire life, I don't need to have an 80K mile tire. That just seems to be the norm for most tires these days. Like I stated, somewhere in the 60K mile range is acceptable, and as noted, probably preferred due to having a softer compound, which generally equates to better wet/snow traction.

I'm still looking. I'll keep you updated on what I find out. Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Being in Minnesota, my criteria was the same as yours.

I replaced mine with Good Year Triple Treads three years ago and have no regrets (maybe a little noisy, but I guess a fair trade off for an excellent all season traction tire). If I remember correctly, there were four tires that seemed to have a consensus from owners on this site who had replacement tires and had a similar criteria as you and I.

In no particular order, they were Good Year Triple Treads, Yokahama Avid TRZ, Cooper (Forgot the model#, but believe only one type fits our van) and a Michelin (Forgot model, but available at Sam's Club) (Do a little search on this site to find the specific Cooper and Michelin models). Anyway, after some additional research I pretty much considered all 4 tires to be relatively equal based on my buying criteria and I chose the Good Year because they had a rebate incentive of like $25 or $20 off of each tire when you opened a Good Year account. In addition, if you paid it off within six months there was no interest (I believe the last time I got my tires rotated at Good Year I saw a sign for the same deal?) FYI, if you go the Good Year route, I actually got a significantly better deal from the corporate owned Good Year tire shop versus an independent tire dealer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Avid TRZ on my T&C and I've been happy with them. The only thing I have to compare them to were the tires that were on the car originally (Bridgestones? I forget), which always seemed a bit unstable to me, like the car often wanted to break away; the traction was a bit dodgy. The traction on the Avids is much better, I feel much more stable around a turn and in the wet, and I had no trouble to speak of in the snow last winter. It will be interesting to see how they are this winter with another year on them. The one downside is that I seemed to lose some mpg, but that's the trade-off with a stickier tire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I will say I am very unhappy that almost ever tire rotation with Costco has resulted in a cross threaded lug.

I am budgeting $500 including mounting myself and hope there are killer deals on Black Friday this year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
my tire shop advised General tire for my 2002 Voyager. Slightly rougher, 'SUV' looking which is not bad, cheap and great!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last year I bought new Pirelli P4 tires. I tried the Harmony's but didn't like the poor handling due primarily to soft sidewalls. Then I tried the P4's and have been very happy with them. The P4's have hard sidewalls. The vehicle is able to corner at posted speed limits without buckling/leaning like the Harmony's have. At highway speeds (50MPH+) when I gently roll the steering wheel from side to side, with the P4's the vehicle turns slightly to the left or to the right and remains stable as expected, but with the Harmony's the vehicle leaned/rolled heavily to the left or the right, which felt unsafe to me. It depends on what kind of handling you prefer. Both sets were acquired and mounted by Discount Tire within two weeks of each other so there were no other factors to affect the handling. I rotate at regular intervals.

I have only been in light snow once with the P4's and they were OK. They are fine in rain. I run them at their maximum COLD psi rating of 44 psi. I check the pressure myself in the morning before driving and adjust with a 12V portable compressor as needed. The ride is harder, but I prefer that to the soft and sloppy ride of softer tires. My previous Caravans also had 44 psi tires and that is what I always ran them at. I got consistently even tire-wear. The Harmony's would probably give better economy due to lower rolling resistance. Its all a trade-off.

I used TireRack and Consumers Reports to help narrow it down. Discount Tire will allow you to try a set or two to see what works best for you. If you live in the snow belt, you may want to consider getting both summer and winter sets of tires. Nokian makes good tires, but they are pricey and may not have the tire-wear you are seeking.

If you find a tire that meets all your requirements and is inexpensive, please let us know.:)

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
I have the Goodyear Triple Treads on my van, and will not be getting them again. They are loud (and have gotten louder with age). I have about 37,000 miles on them and are getting close to needing replacement. They are rotated every 7000 miles and pressure is kept up.
They do have excellent traction for dry and rain (no experience with snow down here, but have heard good about them). They are costly also.
I had a set on my Elantra also, and got right at 60,000 miles on them (and probably should have replaced them 5000 miles earlier).

I also had a set of Comfortreads on the Elantra and hated them. They were very mushy and felt unsafe. I only had them on for maybe 150 miles (but they were 85T rated tires and the Elantra is speced for 88H rated, which was probably the problem)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone ever run Cooper Lifeliner GLS? http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/LIFELINER-GLS-(T-Rated).aspx

I saw a set on a van this weekend and thought they looked a little bit more aggressive than the Harmony, which I think would be great for added snow traction. I got a quote from a local distributor for $119/tire installed, plus they have a $40 Visa Gift Card Rebate.

Also checking with my cousin, as there is a tire shop near him that supposedly has the best tire deals around Ohio. I'm pretty sure they mostly sell independent distributor products, but if the price is right and the quality is decent, may consider any products they sell as well.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Falken Ziex ZE-912 -- great in wet and dry.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
... I'll probably end up ordering from tirerack, as most of the local chains want about 30% more for the same tire...
Don't forget that you have to pay for shipping. Also make sure you know where you are going to get them installed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't forget that you have to pay for shipping. Also make sure you know where you are going to get them installed.
Shipping from tirerack is about the same as paying sales tax in Ohio. Plus, the savings on the tire pays for mounting and balancing. Heck, I got a quote from a local Goodyear store, they wanted $680 installed for a set of GY Assurance ComforTred.

I buy the tires from TR, pay for shipping, and pay for mount & balance, it would only be $580. Not even close.

However....all that is a moot point....I just called the local tire shop my cousin referred me to, $350 for a set of Mastercraft or Cooper tires, installed, plus tax. I'm gonna have to get a hold of them again to find out specifically what model, but DANG!!! That's cheap!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts