Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the spread in the price. Here in Mo. the difference is now
just 10 cents. What is it in your area?:ask_wsign

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
It depends on the station. Some here in MN are within 10 cents and some have a 50 cent difference.
I am pretty anti-ethanol myself, but to each their own. I think it should be an option to run on all cars. With a high performance car (with high compression, etc), I am thinking that they could put a pretty aggressive advance curve into the programming for it to deal with the increased octane.

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
Supply and demand on 2 sides. The demand for ethanol has gone down (for several reasons). Lots of ethanol plants have closed or slowed production, so not as much ethanol out there.
Gasoline is cheap now too, so those prices have dropped. The price difference will increase come summer when more people start taking trips and the production of gasoline has slowed.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
Oh Kim, not true.

But, I'll let you search this forum for my explanations from the past.

The price here is about 35 cents different, which is the breakeven point.

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
About the same. Even when it was almost $1.00 less you barely broke even because the fuel economy was less and the power was down.
I never noticed a power decrease in my '99 when I ran it on E85. In fact, I thought it ran a little better.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
The power isn't going to be down on a vehicle equipped to run it. It will use more fuel to make that power, so there will be less economy.
The trick with setting the vehicle up for peak efficiency and minimal loss in fuel economy is to run a more aggressive timing curve so that the engine can take advantage of the higher octane (110 vs 87/89). I don't think that the timing curve is modified on most E-85 vehicles like it should be. (This is speculation though) My guess is that just the injector timing is changed to increase volume.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
Our vans have a definate fuel curve change when running on E85, but I don't think it is a timing change. It idles a touch higher for a longer period of time at startup, so it seems like a real hot rod if you don't let it idle for a few seconds before putting it in Reverse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tweaking and tuning will never recover the 27% loss in BTU content.

You loose ~3% MPG when using E10 over straight gasoline.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts

That's not true either. With the proper compression and turbo combination, you can get the exact, if not better mileage out of E85 as gasoline.

I find the E10 argument odd. My vehicles exhibit 0 difference on E10 vs. 87. My van gets the same mileage here as it did when I lived in CA and E10 was not an option.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

It won't recover the 27% (subjective, and I'm not sure it's that much, honestly) loss in BTU content, but you can tune for the higher octane of E85, allowing you to regain ALL of the lost HP, and potentially get MORE fuel efficiency.

Given the proper tuning, E85 is superior to gasoline, and that's all I got to say about that. You can't run 14:1 compression on 87 Octane without special engine configurations, you can on E85.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It won't recover the 27% (subjective, and I'm not sure it's that much, honestly) loss in BTU content, but you can tune for the higher octane of E85, allowing you to regain ALL of the lost HP, and potentially get MORE fuel efficiency.

Given the proper tuning, E85 is superior to gasoline, and that's all I got to say about that. You can't run 14:1 compression on 87 Octane without special engine configurations, you can on E85.
Good luck "tuning"

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ok, so it's not exactly tuning, it's a complete engine overhaul, special circumstance, requiring extensive work.

Fine, I'll rephrase it: Given the proper configuration of an engine, E-85 is better than Gasoline/Gasohol.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If there was a station closer to me, I'd run it in the new engine, but there isn't one close enough to worry about it. I'd have to buy exponential amounts of fuel at a time to make it cost effective at all, and then I'd have to have a hazmat permit to contain/carry it all.

Instead, I'd love to find a deezle swap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, so it's not exactly tuning, it's a complete engine overhaul, special circumstance, requiring extensive work.

Fine, I'll rephrase it: Given the proper configuration of an engine, E-85 is better than Gasoline/Gasohol.
That's such a apples to oranges comparison, it's pointless.

Octane can be taken advantage of for some increase efficiency, but nowhere near enough to come close to making up for the loss of BTU's.

Regaining the power is easier, just dump more fuel in. Regaining the energy, which is key to fuel economy won't happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find the E10 argument odd. My vehicles exhibit 0 difference on E10 vs. 87. My van gets the same mileage here as it did when I lived in CA and E10 was not an option.

It's incrediabily hard to see a 3% drop in fuel ecomony under ideal back-to-back conditions. Comparing different times, altitudes, weather, etc. is totally impossible.

·
Vendor
180 Posts
Now that I have a FFV that will use E-85. Guess I'll have to see how the 3.3L v6 does on it.

In only 200 mi since purchase....my 09 DGC SE appears to be running about 23 mpg in the city. I'm good with that, then again, it's early. Gas mileage hopefully will improve as the break-in period continues.

As for price of E-85 in the Sacramento area. I've seen it about 60 cents/gal less than E-10. If I can keep the mileage/power at the same levels....I'd happily use E-85.

Time will tell.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
You won't keep the mileage, but you'll keep the power.

Your engine and fuel system will stay very clean. The mileage will drop a couple MPG. 23 seems high for city mileage. Is that what the computer says?

$0.60 is a very good price spread. The break even on my truck and van is a $0.30 spread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts