40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.3v6 1992 on my I drive a 100% e85 for 1 year and all is well

a little hard to start in winter

My le Baron on my I'm like by adding 10 liters of super95

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
Is that a FFV 3.3 V6? If not, that is why it is hard starting.

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
Yes, vehicles not designed for e-85 will run on it, but your playing Russian roulette with it. Non-e-85 vehicles have rubber seals/hoses and non-stainless steel lines that can deteriorate over time, as well as the engines possibly being damaged from running lean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2003 FFV 3.3L and have run it on E85 for three years. Runs good until it gets to around zero degrees. Then it is a bit hard to start, but once warmed up it is just fine. I found that by adding about 4 gallons of regular gas to about 10 gallons of E85 cures the starting problem for me.
Mileage dropped about two to three miles per gallon with E85 until I am running Interstate speeds, and mileage comes back up for some reason.
I do find I have to change fuel filters about every 10,000 miles. Ethanol is a solvent and it scrubs the fuel tank really well. It is a bit more corrosive to spark plugs and they also need attention at perhaps no more than 40,000 miles, but my oil is much cleaner at each oil change.

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
I have also noticed the longevity of the oil with E85 in comparison to E10. I ran a test a year ago running a whole month on reguar gas in my Silverado. My oil was darker, and my OLM was going down much more quickly than on E85.

Your spark plug idea also makes sense, as I have had to change mine about every 35,000 miles.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
I don't believe the 3.3 had a flex fuel option in 1992...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear friends, I live in Brazil and here every imported car have to be adapted to use E85, because this is the most used gas since 1950.
The Chrysler modded the "interior" of the engine(all models) and because of this, the "brazilians" 3.3 produces 164HPs.
Same non-moded cars have serius engine problens until 100000miles.
To use the E85, you have to change the engine oil after 2.500miles or 4months(my dealer's recomendation)

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Your E-85 in Brazil is cane based from what I understand. Ours is corn based. I seem to recall that making it from cane is more efficient than corn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your E-85 in Brazil is cane based from what I understand. Ours is corn based. I seem to recall that making it from cane is more efficient than corn.
We have 15-20% e85 from corn... Yes, the E85 fron cane is more efficient.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ive got a 2002 caravan se 3.3 with the flex fuel option. when i run e-85 the van starts hard, idles rough, and has a check engine light. it never has run on it well, and the hard start is worse the warmer the engine gets. the 5 years ive owned the van it never liked it.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
ive got a 2002 caravan se 3.3 with the flex fuel option. when i run e-85 the van starts hard, idles rough, and has a check engine light. it never has run on it well, and the hard start is worse the warmer the engine gets. the 5 years ive owned the van it never liked it.

Your owners manual should have a section on running E-85. Mine states to switch gradually. Like a quarter, half, 3/4 and then full. (I don't have it in front of me for a definitive quote)
I still don't like the stuff and won't run it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not that it matters too much at this point, as I have already bought my new ride, but is E-85 more efficient than regular gas? One salesman (who was a bartender until last week lol) told me that it provides less performance (to which I'm thinking, "it's a minivan...")

So, on my next vehicle down the road (pun intended), do I go for the FFV?

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Not that it matters too much at this point, as I have already bought my new ride, but is E-85 more efficient than regular gas? One salesman (who was a bartender until last week lol) told me that it provides less performance (to which I'm thinking, "it's a minivan...")

So, on my next vehicle down the road (pun intended), do I go for the FFV?
You will get around 30% less mileage if my memory is correct. I don't know how well Chrysler utilizes the tune to take advantage of the higher octane. It sounds like GM does a much better job at tuning for it from what I have seen.
In theory, it shouldn't cause a lack of performance with anything but the mileage and maybe cold starting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think its broken :) if it acts like that on E-85

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just tried E85 in our 2002 FFV T&C with the 3.3. Feels like it has an additional 20 to 30 hp, much better throttle response. E85 here in northern Michigan has been $.40-$.70 cheaper per gallon than E10.

Noticing about a 3 to 4 MPG decrease on E85 so with the current price differential we should still be coming out a bit ahead on E85.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 02 fuel system is indeed designed for it as per the filler door label and owners manual. Running fine with it these last six weeks for a net lower running cost per mile. Long term may possibly affect reliability somewhat but at 178k not too concerned. Van is in storage for the MI winter so no issues with winter performance. As an aside, originally a southern vehicle and one of the few 4th gen vans in N MI with no body rust.

We are also getting good performance with my sister's 08 Sebring on E85

·
Latent car nut
8,943 Posts
stop using that E85 crap in your old Van.motor is not designed for it.
Not true, there was a fairly high percentage of 3.3 vans which were specifically designed to run E-85, including the van owned by Stimus.

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Oh yea, another video I have not posted yet. But let me give some Feedback on E-85 does on a full tank with only about a gallon left in the tank.

1. It will be harder to start, but only when cold.
2. Yea it eats a BIT more gas, but if your CEL is on, it won't eat anymore then regular gas if you are in closed loop. (CHeck with shipo on that one)
3. As far as performance. On a car not made for it, I did not notice to much.
4. Any bad effects.. Nope. Not for me. But I did just do one tank.

I did not have my OBDII reader on, but it seemed all was okay.

Can you use it every day? I don't see why you would unless your car was turbocharged.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts