The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Routan 4.0L , 2013 T&C 3.6L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 T&C.

We bought this guy earlier this year and it didn't come with remote start so I ended up buying the factory remote start kit on ebay but haven't had a chance to install it. I also have been waiting because I don't have access to a micropod II yet.

However, this weekend one of my kids was playing with the key fob, pressed the lock button 3 consecutive times and it remote started! I was able to press the lock button 3 times to shut it off and pressed it 3 times again to try it for myself :).

Has anyone else found this?

Is there any benefit to going ahead with the remote start kit anymore? Is there added range or anything else when going with the kit?

I suppose one added benefit is that the kit comes with 2 fobs and I still only have one right now.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Sounds like maybe it already has a remote start kit of some kind installed. Differences in range can only be assumed if we know what is actually in there. But I will guess that since both would use stock/oem keyfobs, range will be the same.

Trying to add another FOB to whatever is in there might not carry over the remote start functionality to the new FOB.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2009 Routan 4.0L , 2013 T&C 3.6L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what all it could have installed. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the hood switch installed that would come with an OEM remote start kit.

I never thought about the possibility that it could be FOB specific. What are the chances?

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
337 Posts
An aftermarket remote start kit is definitely present if your van is remote starting with 3 presses of the key fob lock button, as that is how the aftermarket remote start kits for these vans are typically triggered. Take a look up inside the driver side of the dash, behind the knee panel, to see what aftermarket module is present; they use a custom t-harness that taps into the WCM/WIN module wiring:

A hood switch below the driver side edge of the hood will also be present if the aftermarket installer did a proper complete install, to prevent the remote start from working when the hood is open for safety reasons.

To my knowledge, having additional key fobs programmed to the van in the typical manner will all work with the aftermarket remote start without any additional work, as that only looks for 3 presses of the key fob lock button to function. At least that is how the iDatalink Flashlogic remote start is like with my van, as I don't recall having to get that reprogrammed when I had additional key fobs added to my van at the Dodge dealer.

Interestingly, the factory remote start feature can be added to these vans as easily as adding the factory hood switch (or a 1kΩ resistor in its place, which is not recommended here due to the safety hazard that creates) and then programming the feature in along with a WIN configuration reset using either AlfaOBD or Appcar DiagFCA, the latter being used in the link provided here: Appcar DiagFCA - How To Activate Remote Start – Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan

Any 5'th gen van has the capability of remote start from factory, the hood ajar connector is present on the vans under the TIPM, and by activating the hood ajar switch on appcar, and resetting the WCM, the remote start will work. (assuming the hood ajar switch is installed and you have a way to make the connection on the key fob)
-There is however, another item that vans with remote start have from the factory that vans without remote start are missing. The remote start antenna, which extends range by a decent amount, and while it won't be an issue without the antenna for cars in close proximity, but if you're at a store and you are parked farther then the spaces right in front of the store, you will not have enough range for the van to start.
You don't need to replace the WIN module to get remote start.
You just don't get the same reach...since there is no external antenna.
Even the fobs have the button on the circuit board. Just change the rubber insert and the top part.

Activate remote start in the TIPMGW, reset WCM config (PIN needed).
Disable remote start thru the EVIC....drive a bit...activate remote start in EVIC...done..van starts/stops with the fob.

I used Appcar DiagFCA and OBDLink MX for it. Appcar even reads the PIN code from the car.
Using the above method, programming new keys isn't necessary as the existing keys will work with just changing the button pad on them to one with the remote start button. The factory remote start kit is more involved as it involves replacement of the WCM/WIN module to one that has the long-range antenna, which then involves programming that to the van and then the new keys that come with it.

Is there any benefit to going ahead with the remote start kit anymore? Is there added range or anything else when going with the kit?

I suppose one added benefit is that the kit comes with 2 fobs and I still only have one right now.
If you have the factory remote start kit installed in its entirety, the key fob maximum range will increase to 300 feet from 66 feet:

Service Manual said:
Normal Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter operation range for vehicles manufactured for domestic markets is up to 20 meters (66 feet) away from the vehicle. On vehicles manufactured for export markets, normal RKE transmitter range is up to 10 meters (33 feet) away from the vehicle. If a domestic market vehicle is equipped with the optional factory-installed Remote Start System, the normal transmitter range is increased to up to 91 meters (300 feet). Please note that the actual RKE transmitter range values may be better or worse than specified above, depending upon many possible variables in the environment at the specific time and location that any RKE transmission is attempted.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Sienile
1 - 6 of 6 Posts