The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the ECOGard oil filters showing up at times. Made in China, likely the least expensive filter for oil change shops to use.
They have a lot of information on line including:
CONVENTIONAL OIL FILTERS

ECOGARD SYNTHETIC+ EXTENDED PROTECTION OIL FILTER

Chrysler’s Problem With the Pentastar V6 Oil Filter Housing & Cooler Assembly and What It Means for Oil Filter Installers

The Truth About Oil Filter Micron Ratings

A lot of marketing hype but no % efficiency / micron ratings for their own oil filters, except for
ECOGARD SYNTHETIC+ EXTENDED PROTECTION OIL FILTER
  • ECOGARD® SYNTHETIC+ Oil Filters will remove 99.9% of oil contaminants at 25 microns.
  • ECOGARD® SYNTHETIC+ Oil Filters feature 2X the dirt holding capacity of a conventional oil filter.
  • ECOGARD® SYNTHETIC+ Oil Filters are engineered provide up to 10,000 miles of engine protection.

Reportedly it's 89.3% at 25 microns, 97.3% at 30 microns for their conventional filters. That's a red flag for sure. A basic FRAM Extra Guard (also has silicone anti-drain back valve vs nitrile) is stated as 95% at 20 microns.

Anybody using the ECOGard filters?

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
127 Posts
Not sure about their engine oil filters but I put one of their trans filters in my van. Been about 5k miles since I installed it and the included rubber gasket isn’t leaking and I assume the filter is doing it’s job. No whining noise or any other cause for concern.

Also, the filtration rating in your post says 89.3% at 25 microns and so on. I wouldn’t call this good but it’s not terrible. I ran Ford motorcraft filters in both my van and suv for about a year and a half, so 3 filters each. I stopped using them recently since I heard they only filter 80%, can’t remember the micron rating, I believe it was 20 microns though. Now I’m running Bosch premium filters from rock auto (only worth it if buying other parts) and they claim 99% at 20 microns. Just put the first one on 2 days ago so let’s see

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99% at 20 microns sounds like a high quality filter.

The transmission filters are more screens than filters, I think. The Magnefine filters on a transmission cooler line would maybe do better.
Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission/Power Steering Filter
About this item
  • Removes ferrous material down to 3 microns
  • Filters non-ferrous material to 25 microns

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
Filter manufacturers leave a lot of information out.

Claimed filter efficiency is worth nothing unless you also know the flow rating. You also need to know the dirt holding capacity before the bypass valve is activated.

Just buy a high quality filter and forget about all those numbers before you get crazy.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Filter manufacturers leave a lot of information out.

Claimed filter efficiency is worth nothing unless you also know the flow rating. You also need to know the dirt holding capacity before the bypass valve is activated.

Just buy a high quality filter and forget about all those numbers before you get crazy.
Good to say, but no need to go crazy. Some products have their "product data" well documented and available.. That's one of the reasons I default to FRAM for oil filters and Valvoline for motor oil. The product information is there for all to see, no "lights hidden under a bushel".

A "high quality filter", as a bare minimum, will have its efficiency rating, micron rating and oil change interval readily available. A standard/OE quality filter, maybe not. A less than standard quality filter = hide the information.

See, no need to go crazy, just get informed. :)

Reactions: LEVY

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Sometimes I get confused and think I'm at BITOG when I read posts here...

·
Registered
540 Posts
(y) :cool:

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes I get confused and think I'm at BITOG when I read posts here...
BITOG is a pretty good site, but of limited scope. not much infotainment stuff. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something new, or is it?

Eco oil filters are a special type of environmentally friendly oil filter, also known as the “cartridge” or “canister” oil filter. These filters are made entirely of pleated, paper filter media and plastic. Unlike the more commonly known spin-on type, eco oil filters are able to be incinerated once they’re used, which means they don’t end up in landfills. This becomes really important when you consider the number of vehicles currently on the road, and the number that will be produced in the foreseeable future. They all require oil filters — and thanks to eco oil filters they will have a more positive impact on our environment.
I have an incinerator but don't ever remember throwing an oil filter in the mix. Motor oil, paint cans, yes, a few, but no oil filters. I guess that's an event ready to happen.

I know of another member on here, that has an incinerator. Wonder, with his frequent oil changes, if he incinerates oil filters. I have heard mention of burning oil. :)

In future years you won't have to worry about changing oil, or reading Posts about oil/oil filters, just a battery at $20,000 to $30,000 a shot. Don't think I would want to burn one of those. :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
[QUOTE
Something new, or is it?
I have an incinerator but don't ever remember throwing an oil filter in the mix. Motor oil, paint cans, yes, a few, but no oil filters. I guess that's an event ready to happen.

I know of another member on here, that has an incinerator. Wonder, with his frequent oil changes, if he incinerates oil filters. I have heard mention of burning oil. :)

In future years you won't have to worry about changing oil, or reading Posts about oil/oil filters, just a battery at $20,000 to $30,000 a shot. Don't think I would want to burn one of those. :)
I always burn my filters (metal or otherwise), along with our trash. When you live in a ranch, everything is a fair game.

Regarding batteries, don't worry, they burn by themselves.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what do you do with the steel casings, feed them to the alligators? Goats eat steel don't they? :)

My Father bought a goat when I was a young kid. I had heard that they could eat anything. Was I ever disappointed when it ignored the oil filter I put in front of it. :)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,859 Posts
My goats only eat stainless steel.

Burned metallic casing oil filters will disintegrate in no time if buried along the rest of the ashes. Ashes + water will produce lye.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but you are talking about those cheapie Mobil 1 filters. A FRAM would stand up much better. :)

Your goats are a bit picky, aren't they. Which grade of stainless steel do they prefer?

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
739 Posts
Only the finer things (grades) in life for Levy's goats. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts