The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The coolant temperature sensor is not functioning properly. The sensor is not working, which causes the computer to think the engine is running cold(when the engine is actually hot), so the computer riches the air-fuel ratio. Which causes cylinders missing and it wont idle or idles high about 1,500rpm. Also the radiator fans runs continuously. I ran the codes and got a code 32, ECT voltage too low. So far I've replaced the ECT sensor, that did not fix the problem. I'm getting about 4.9 volts when I check the plug. I've tried jumping across the sensor did not change the problem.
I'm guessing my voltage is to low and it should be putting out a full 12 volts to the sensor. I'm a little stumped. I guess there could be a broke or bad contact near the plug? Or could it be something further down the wire to where ever the wire goes? PCM? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Its a 1996 T&C with a 3.8 liter and 349,000miles. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Use an ohm meter to determine if the wires from the pcm to the sensor are damaged or shorted out.

·
5000 Club
5,704 Posts
The PCM supplies the ECT sensor with a 5 vdc reference voltage. Looks like you're good there. As was stated, check continuity on the signal wire from the sensor to the PCM. Looks like it's a tan wire with black stripe from contact B on the sensor to contact 26 on connector E44 on the PCM. Always disconnect the battery before disconnecting the PCM.

Not much faith in it but you could try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. Might try reseating the PCM connectors.

334K miles! You must be doing many things right. Congrats!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked all the wiring to the PCM. And I didn't find a problem. So I hooked everything back up. Reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. And she seems to be working. But my gut is telling me that the problem will come back. Maybe need a new PCM.

Yup 349,000 miles it just keeps going and going. I do need a new front crack shaft seal sometime.

·
5000 Club
5,704 Posts
Well I checked all the wiring to the PCM. And I didn't find a problem. So I hooked everything back up. Reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. And she seems to be working. But my gut is telling me that the problem will come back. Maybe need a new PCM.

Yup 349,000 miles it just keeps going and going. I do need a new front crack shaft seal sometime.
Good news! Keep us in the loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts