The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the 4th gen TC was made from 2001-2007 and the mechanic is telling me that my ecu may be going bad and I need an e check and
Can't pass the test without that fixed, and I'm
Not trying to pay $250 for a new one. My question is: can I get an ECM from another van from a scrap yard from 2001-2007 with a 3.3 and replace it that way? Or do I need that exact year?

·
5000 Club
5,719 Posts
I'm assuming by ECU/ECM you're referring to the PCM or powertrain control module.

Ditto. Just want to add an 01 to 03 will work IF it's the same part number and engine. 04 and up are not an option. Completely different. Plus, make sure the security system configuration is the same meaning both vans have it or both don't have it. Mixing them will open a can of worms.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why do you think the ECU/PCM is bad?

Yes, if you choose to replace it, you need one with the same part number as was mentioned earlier. Also, if your vehicle is equipped with the SKIM (chipped key) it must be programmed to match your VIN, etc. Otherwise the car won't start.

If not, the replacement PCM must come from a van without chipped key as well. In short, you are better off paying $250 to one of those reman places to program your VIN/mileages into the PCM. But again, why do you think it is bad? It is fairly rare for them to go bad and it would have a code indicating that the PCM is bad in most cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts