The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced my EGR valve 2 or 3 times on my 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. All about a month or two apart. They came with a lifetime warranty, and the store doesn't have any issue with replacing it multiple times...but with so many failures, I wonder if the EGR valve was good, and its some other problem. Is there a way to test the EGR valve, or the electrical connections? So far I have been ignoring it for a couple years now, but the remote start won't work if the check engine light is on. Also I am not alerted to other issues if the check engine light is always on.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
What codes are you getting?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
That's a circuit code, so it could be wiring. Could also be a defective or dirty EGR. Which engine do you have? I can get the wiring diagram for you to check it.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2008 Chrysler Town and Country
Touring Edition
3.8 L V6

Yes a wiring diagram would be helpful because don't have a full, service manual yet. I doubt it's the EGR valve itself as it's unlikely that 3 valves in a row would fail.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
Here's the code troubleshooting guide with diagram. Yeah, after 3 with the same result it'd be really concerning if it were dud parts. Hopefully it's just a snagged wire somewhere.

Attachments

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've replaced my EGR valve 2 or 3 times on my 2008 Chrysler Town and Country. All about a month or two apart. They came with a lifetime warranty, and the store doesn't have any issue with replacing it multiple times...but with so many failures, I wonder if the EGR valve was good, and its some other problem. Is there a way to test the EGR valve, or the electrical connections? So far I have been ignoring it for a couple years now, but the remote start won't work if the check engine light is on. Also I am not alerted to other issues if the check engine light is always on.
Are you buying Mopar EGR valves?
If no, there's your problem.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L 175k mi
286 Posts
I bought a WVE egr valve for my van a couple years back (2 ish) and it’s still good. Bought it from rockauto. There was nothing wrong with the original mopar one (which I still have), I just changed it because of a video I saw. In the end it made little to no difference in fuel economy which is why I changed it in the first place (the video said so and I was naive).

If you’re using parts store brand parts, that might be your problem.

I bought a duralast (autozone) ignition coil and wires for my van and they were misfiring again in less than a year. Parts stores are for emergencies IMO, which is why I used parts from them last year.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I bought a WVE egr valve for my van a couple years back (2 ish) and it’s still good. Bought it from rockauto. There was nothing wrong with the original mopar one (which I still have), I just changed it because of a video I saw. In the end it made little to no difference in fuel economy which is why I changed it in the first place (the video said so and I was naive).
Or the WVE valve isn't functioning properly, much like your failing Mopar one wasn't, hence why you saw no change......

EGRs on these realistically should be changed every 80-100k as that's their general lifespan anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
80-100k? Must be talking about GM electronic EGRs or you just have horrendous luck with EGRs. If an engine's running very dirty, you may need to clean one at that age. But unless it gets too hot and fries the coil or lift sensor, you should get at least twice that out of one. If these used vacuum EGRs, you could quadruple that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
80-100k? Must be talking about GM electronic EGRs or you just have horrendous luck with EGRs. If an engine's running very dirty, you may need to clean one at that age. But unless it gets too hot and fries the coil or lift sensor, you should get at least twice that out of one. If these used vacuum EGRs, you could quadruple that.
Chrysler EGRs are worse than GM EGRs......
The Vacuum EGRs of the previous generations were even worse, most were lucky to make 60k without failure, and no replacements last more than a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L 175k mi
286 Posts
Let me clarify by saying there was little to no change made in city mpg. Since then I’ve come to realize that driving in the city with a big car with a big engine will get bad mpg no matter what.

On a recent trip, the van averaged 25 mpg, sometimes dropping down when going up hills. Considering the van was only rated at 23 highway mpg, it seems that the wve valve is working good. I also used them for some other things and those are still good aswell. I believe wve is made by ngk.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,531 Posts
WVE = Wells Vehicle Electronics. Owned by NGK since 2015.

Yeah, EGR is to reduce knock at high loads. It would have to be stuck open or closed to have much effect on MPG. Slow responding won't make enough difference to notice.

Reactions: Mtfix20
1 - 13 of 13 Posts