The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased another 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan SE.
I noticed when I used the key fob the doors will unlock but they will not lock. I tried the door locks in the doors with the same results I've been checking everything I can think of does anybody have a solution they found?
I did a computer reboot by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but that didn't help. Will check fuses and relays next.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
Aside from 'weak' door lock actuators (a common issue)....is the often-overlooked master switch in the overhead console in the correct position?
He has an SE and not the SXT nor T&C. There is no overhead console in the SE.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
I noticed when I used the key fob the doors will unlock but they will not lock. I tried the door locks in the doors with the same results I've been checking everything I can think of does anybody have a solution they found?
I did a computer reboot by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but that didn't help. Will check fuses and relays next.
Chances are, one of the power door lock switches is bad preventing them to activating downwards to lock.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
You can hear the door actuators when you unlock the doors but you cannot hear them when you try to lock them from any door buttons or key fob.
This is an SE model and it doesn't have an overhead console.
This might be of some help for the locks or not, yet it's packed with good stuff to consider.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
Sorry...you could have mis-typed an ES like ours, as an SE. :whistle:
My van is a blend of a 2005 SXT and a 2006 SE. I took all the loaded upgraded options out of the SXT when it died and placed them into the SE. Now I call it my 2006 SEX. Wife didn't think it was that funny either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay looking at the schematic diagram for the door locks everything comes from the body control module I checked all the fuses and they were alright.
So I'm thinking it's a programming problem but I can't be sure yet. So I'll have to read up on how to program the door locks again and make sure that's not the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay, I tested all the fuses and they're alright.
Looking at the wiring schematic everything comes from the body control module so I'm thinking it's a programming problem of the body control module and by the way there is no horn beep.
I'll have to read up on how to program the door locks and see if that's the problem.
Oops, sorry for the double post I thought I had lost the first one.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
Okay, I tested all the fuses and they're alright.
Looking at the wiring schematic everything comes from the body control module so I'm thinking it's a programming problem of the body control module and by the way there is no horn beep.
I'll have to read up on how to program the door locks and see if that's the problem.
Oops, sorry for the double post I thought I had lost the first one.
Did you take the switches out of the driver and passenger doors and test them? Bet one or both have crud in them or the contacts are corroded enough that causes a short. Thus the key FOB and the BCM will not recognize the required action.

This is a very common trait with vehicles over 12 years old. Our vans are 16 to 20 years old.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said before the door locks will unlock and you can hear them but when you try to lock them you don't hear anything and they don't move. The electric schematic is pretty clear, the wire comes from the body control module directly to the 4 doors.

Now I had a problem with my headlights, When I turned on my headlights one would be the high beam and the other the the low beam and if you pulled up on the bright light control you would see the opposite headlight doing the same thing so what I did I pulled the body control module, sprayed the contacts with WD-40 pushed it in and out several times to get good contact put it all back together and I've never had any trouble with the headlights since. This may be a similar issue.
The problem is you have to remove the battery so you can get at the lower screw on the computer mount so that you can move it out of the way so that you can take the screws out of the body control module which is a little bit of a job. But I may take time to do just that.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
As I said before the door locks will unlock and you can hear them but when you try to lock them you don't hear anything and they don't move. The electric schematic is pretty clear, the wire comes from the body control module directly to the 4 doors.

Now I had a problem with my headlights, When I turned on my headlights one would be the high beam and the other the the low beam and if you pulled up on the bright light control you would see the opposite headlight doing the same thing so what I did I pulled the body control module, sprayed the contacts with WD-40 pushed it in and out several times to get good contact put it all back together and I've never had any trouble with the headlights since. This may be a similar issue.
The problem is you have to remove the battery so you can get at the lower screw on the computer mount so that you can move it out of the way so that you can take the screws out of the body control module which is a little bit of a job. But I may take time to do just that.
Instead of WD-40 try using electrical contact cleaner (there are two types in my travels, by many a brand) One is NoFlash and it is slow drying and I think chlorinated... not my favorite
The other and my preferred contact cleaner is more like aerosol fast drying almost like brake clean. I love a product called DeOxid but it is espensive and I save it for the bestest of projects like avionics.

We are ASSuming that your FOB is transmitting on the [ LOCK ] I'd want to know for sure before I start digging into schematics and door panels...
I have seen at autoparts stores a display that will tell you if your key fob is working. Many times they get pocket lint and spilled coffee on them and only a few buttons work...

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,227 Posts
Instead of WD-40 try using electrical contact cleaner (there are two types in my travels, by many a brand) One is NoFlash and it is slow drying and I think chlorinated... not my favorite
The other and my preferred contact cleaner is more like aerosol fast drying almost like brake clean. I love a product called DeOxid but it is espensive and I save it for the bestest of projects like avionics.

We are ASSuming that your FOB is transmitting on the [ LOCK ] I'd want to know for sure before I start digging into schematics and door panels...
I have seen at autoparts stores a display that will tell you if your key fob is working. Many times they get pocket lint and spilled coffee on them and only a few buttons work...
CRC QD Electronics Cleaner work like brake cleaner too. QD = quick drying.
I learned about this stuff on the RV trailer forum.
Liquid Fluid Tire Mammal Automotive tire

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I noticed when I used the key fob the doors will unlock but they will not lock. I tried the door locks in the doors with the same results
Do any other buttons / functions work?
Do you have power rear hatch? Does it work?
Do you have power side slide door? Do they work?

I noticed when I used the key fob the doors will unlock but they will not lock. I tried the door locks in the doors with the same results
How do you lock up the van when holiday shopping on Black Friday?
Do you go around and manually lock everydoor that the power door locks opened? What a PITA

Do the power door lock switches work at either front door? Please describe what you experience...

I've been checking everything I can think of does anybody have a solution they found?
Reboot the computers by disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and then touching the two battery wires together, (I use a wrench or screw driver, piece of wire, something conductive...) for three mississippi count, this will discharge the capacitors and is almost instant reboot... waiting ten minutes may work where this certainly works.

Cheers

Please let us know when you fix it how you did it..... even if you give up or sell the van, I am going to loose sleep thinking about your van until I figure it out!

·
fix it if you can
5,748 Posts
I'd go over the owner's manual again, some vehicles will not lock doors if control module senses that keys are still in ignition or any of the doors are open (IIRC, the 4th gen minivans don't have that functionality but I'd double check just in case)

The module on front of power distribution center (fuse & relay box) is FCM, BCM is mounted under dash above the brake pedal... (FCM has no power lock circuits, so save yourself the trouble of messing with it)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts