The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bordering on frantic. I have a 2008 T&C with just a little over 16,000 miles on it (yep, that's right) and it's got problems. The one I want to ask about tonight is a completely "whacked out" electrical system.

I was sitting at a drive-thru with my iPhone hooked up when, all of a sudden, the windshield wipers started and wouldn't stop; the instrument panel lit completely up; the turn signals, windows and locks wouldn't work,and; nothing seemed to help. It was like poltergeists had taken over my minivan. I tried turning it off and letting it sit for about 15 seconds or so before turning it back on. That helped for literally five seconds. I did this a number of times with no luck. All I could think about was the problems GM has had with its electrical system quitting and how many people had been killed. Mine had done the opposite, but modern vehicles are just big computers so anything could happen.

Finally, I got home. I had already unplugged my iPhone and turned the radio off in an effort to find out if that was the problem. So when everything was quiet, I began to hear what sounded like a cross between a hiss and a pop about every second. That went on for at least ten seconds. The noise, alone, was freakish! After it stopped, I tried turning the van on again. Specifically, I was trying to roll the middle window up just in case I had to use the van in the rain and also unlock the side door so my poor dog could get out. The first time, I had the same problem and so I tried again. I was successful the second time and got both Micki and me out of the van pronto, grabbing the owner's manual as we left.

As I said above, the van has just turned over 16,000 miles although it is a 2008. It has NEVER been left out in the elements and has always been housed in my attached garage. Yet, I learned that I need brakes on all four wheels and now this. I had a 1998 Grand Caravan for 10 years that never gave me a moment's trouble. It was also low mileage, but was stolen and totaled, leaving me to buy the T&C. It is the Touring L, if I'm not mistaken. It might be the M model, though. I do remember that it was the second most luxurious model available. I don't think I should be having these problems and could definitely use advice about what the issues may be.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is your battery original? The original battery in my 2001 lasted over 8 years with no problems other than weak cold starts near the of it's life. There are plenty of posts from others though, with weird electrical problems that were corrected by replacing the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your battery original? The original battery in my 2001 lasted over 8 years with no problems other than weak cold starts near the of it's life. There are plenty of posts from others though, with weird electrical problems that were corrected by replacing the battery.
Thank you for replying. Actually, I had the battery replaced a couple of months ago because it just died. At first, I though it was the unusually cold weather we had this year. My auto insurance has road service I can call unlimited times. I don't know the exact number over the course of about three months, but I called at least every other week or so.

At any rate, Goodyear replaced the battery and everything was fine until now. Oh, they did discover the brake problem, but I'd suspected there was something wrong there anyway.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would want to be sure that the connections on the battery are secure, and check the major grounds as well. You will likely need to take it in somewhere to have it looked at though if it isn't as simple as the battery. I know the car has only 16K miles on it but it is 6-7 years old. Things fail, and it certainly sounds like there could be a significant electrical issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, CampinMike. Looks like I'll go back to Goodyear and have them check the connections to the battery they installed. If they can't find anything, then it's on to the dealership.

·
5000 Club
5,758 Posts
If it's not battery related it may be the TIPM has decided to say hello. That's your fuze box. Unfortunately, it's much more than a fuse box on an 08. That or the EVIC and the CCN within. That's your instrument cluster. Both are key players on the CAN data bus controlling most of the electronics on the van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much, RIP. I may not know all the acronyms, but a mechanic will. It may take a while (i.e. A few weeks), but I promise to post the fix. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts