The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 DGC 180k miles My wife recently rear ended someone and im replacing radiator and fan today but can not find the engine block drain plugs. I have looked on this site and have had no luck. Haynes manual illustration 24.6 isnt very much help. I live in an apartment complex so i dont have access to a water hose to try to flush it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager Rallye
1,257 Posts

We berated Christ in here over draining it via the engine block plugs.

Honestly, they're not worth pulling. Most vehicles have a drain petcock on one side of the radiator or the other, or else you can remove the lower hose to drain the system. This should allow you to completely drain all but the bottom portion of the water jacket on the block, and that should be sufficient.

For reference, if you change transmission fluid, you're changing less than half of the ATF fluid. Or, when you change motor oil, you aren't getting the oil out of the oil pump or oil galleries. Those oils are much more critical to have a perfect consistency and make-up, and are more subject to degrading but obviously don't need to be 100% changed. Coolant is even more forgiving. Just drain what you can and refill, it'll be perfect, no worries.

Reactions: Valhallalla

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
There are none. Just the core plugs.

If you really think you need to flush the block for some reason, remove the water pump hose and pour fresh water in from the heater hose coming from under the intake.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

We berated Christ in here over draining it via the engine block plugs.

Honestly, they're not worth pulling. Most vehicles have a drain petcock on one side of the radiator or the other, or else you can remove the lower hose to drain the system. This should allow you to completely drain all but the bottom portion of the water jacket on the block, and that should be sufficient.

For reference, if you change transmission fluid, you're changing less than half of the ATF fluid. Or, when you change motor oil, you aren't getting the oil out of the oil pump or oil galleries. Those oils are much more critical to have a perfect consistency and make-up, and are more subject to degrading but obviously don't need to be 100% changed. Coolant is even more forgiving. Just drain what you can and refill, it'll be perfect, no worries.
Thank you for your reply. I just figured since im installing a new radiator i would just flush all of it out before i installed everything. So when i go to fill up radiator do i just fill with only water (distilled of course) then heat up temp and drain and repeat or do i use 50/50. TIA

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
177 Posts
Prestone used to sell a kit where you tap into the heater hose and run fresh hose water in, and let the outflow out of the radiator neck. The trick is to bypass the thermostat that won't stay open with cold water.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
Using the heater T flush kit would be a great method. The thermostat can be removed from the housing. Just press in on the spring retainer and twist it out of its slots. The retainer, spring, and thermostat will pop right out. Once you're done flushing, just place the thermostat and spring in and push the retainer down on them and re-slot it.

Actually... Dang. He said he doesn't have access to a water hose. All of that is out.

Best solution without a hose is flushing through the hose under the intake like I suggested earlier. That is pouring water in at the very top and letting it out at its lowest open point. The idea is that the fresh displaces the old little by little, so even though there's only about 1/2 gallon in the engine, you'll probably need 3 or more gallons to flush it.

Flush with water until clear and then add coolant.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are none. Just the core plugs.

If you really think you need to flush the block for some reason, remove the water pump hose and pour fresh water in from the heater hose coming from under the intake.
[/QUOTE
Using the heater T flush kit would be a great method. The thermostat can be removed from the housing. Just press in on the spring retainer and twist it out of its slots. The retainer, spring, and thermostat will pop right out. Once you're done flushing, just place the thermostat and spring in and push the retainer down on them and re-slot it.

Actually... Dang. He said he doesn't have access to a water hose. All of that is out.

Best solution without a hose is flushing through the hose under the intake like I suggested earlier. That is pouring water in at the very top and letting it out at its lowest open point. The idea is that the fresh displaces the old little by little, so even though there's only about 1/2 gallon in the engine, you'll probably need 3 or more gallons to flush it.

Flush with water until clear and then add coolant.
I dont think I need a flush my reservoir was pretty nasty so i took it off and cleaned it out. I was just going to do it because i had radiator off but now i have everything put together except the cooler lines from condenser to transmission. I dont know why i disconnected them to begin with but i cant remember which one is inlet and outlet. I cant find any diagrams or videos showing anything. Mine are the aftermarket lines I changed them last year sometime.

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice and help. This forum has helped me alot. I didnt know a whole lot about cars until i met my wife. Thanks to her inability to drive and listen for car noises i have pretty much taught myself everything i know. Well with the help of rhis forum and you tube of course lol.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
918 Posts
My wife gave me to opportunity to learn how to replace the pass. side view mirror on our previous van as she busted it up backing out of the garage. :)

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4 cars in 4 years 1 wasn't her fault. This time i have 3 air bags deployed, busted radiator and fan, condenser is bent but survived, 2 headlights, radiator closure panel, 2 seat belts and code p0118 i have to fix. Everything is back together except 2 air bags, seatbelts, waiting on headlights to come in and code p0118. And i still have to put bumper and new grille on. All while waiting for surgery i have next month.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
If you wreck a car a year, your license should be ripped up. I've had 4 wrecks my whole life. Only one of them was I somewhat to blame for. (Snow covered a bump in the road that made me slide out my lane going downhill.)

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
2013 Grand Caravan SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you wreck a car a year, your license should be ripped up. I've had 4 wrecks my whole life. Only one of them was I somewhat to blame for. (Snow covered a bump in the road that made me slide out my lane going downhill.)
Oh believe me her driving days are done. Im having so much trouble trying to fix everything. Get a code fixed and another pops up or fix one thing and discover another.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,257 Posts
Seatbelts should just be outlawed, it'd fix a lot of society's problems.

People who get into car accidents are a menace to society. Slowing down 2000 people for one hour is equal to one year of labor, since there are roughly 2080 hours in a year of 40 hour work weeks. 1 mile of cars backed up on a four lane highway is approximately 1000 cars, some of them with multiple occupants.

So figure, when you see an accident on the freeway, those people probably cost society years or maybe even decades of lost man-hours, the loss of time far exceeds the cost of damage to the vehicles, and the loss of hours might even exceed the number of useful hours remaining in their lives.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Back in the fifties a car was considered unsafe if it had seatbelts. The thinking was it was better to be thrown through the windshield than to be trapped in a burning car. Drivers were often impaled on the steering column. Ford came out with seatbelts, collapsible steering columns and safety door locks. People said “Fords must be unsafe” “Why would you need seatbelts in a safe car.”
ahh the good old days.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,552 Posts
Seatbelts should just be outlawed, it'd fix a lot of society's problems.
Make them optional to thin the herd. Either use them or be lucky. I do think it would cut down on some of the bad driving after a few years. Can't be an ass on the roads if you're in a coffin.

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 230k mi
164 Posts
So figure, when you see an accident on the freeway, those people probably cost society years or maybe even decades of lost man-hours, the loss of time far exceeds the cost of damage to the vehicles, and the loss of hours might even exceed the number of useful hours remaining in their lives.
A rather vile mindset to value labor and money over human lives, no?

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
1,257 Posts
A rather vile mindset to value labor and money over human lives, no?
No, not really. Would you take one year off of one thousand people's lives, in exchange to save someone from dying? Obviously the 1000 years is a greater number.

The thought process is the same. Except, most people are not rational or considerate enough to think that hard about inconveniencing society, they're too emotional or selfish.

People who don't put up their shopping carts I despise, people who dent doors, people who don't have their money out by the time they get to the cashier, people who cut in traffic, people who litter. There's a whole list of things people do that says they don't care about anyone except themselves, and getting into car accidents is one of those things.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts