The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 T&C AWD with the 3.8 engine which is on its way out. I can not find a decent replacement 3.8 engine, however I have a 3.3 from 2003 that is low mileage. I know they will bolt in no problem, but would there be any issues with the PCM or related or would it be a simple swap

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2002 T&C AWD with the 3.8 engine which is on its way out. I can not find a decent replacement 3.8 engine, however I have a 3.3 from 2003 that is low mileage. I know they will bolt in no problem, but would there be any issues with the PCM or related or would it be a simple swap
Theoretically the 3.3L should work just fine in the 3.8L's place, just make sure that when you swap the engines the ECM also gets swapped (The ECM stores mileage and other info of the engine and transmission in it, so if you swap engines make sure that the engine you are putting in your vehicle keeps its own ECM with it) It's probably best to just keep all the important computers with the engine they are on, especially for different engines.
-Another thing to note, I have no idea if the 3.8L and 3.3L have the same transmissions, (they don't on my 09). I believe the 3.3L only had the 4 speed auto, and the 3.8L only has the 6 speed auto, if the transmissions are coded differently or are specific to engine type you might not be able to drive the vehicle at all, but I have no idea of Chrysler engineering. If you're keeping your 6 speed auto, then keep the 3.8L ECM handy, incase the 3.3L ECM doesn't work as it should for the transmission.
Otherwise, good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
-Another thing to note, I have no idea if the 3.8L and 3.3L have the same transmissions
all 3.3/3.8 non export 4th gens have A604/41TE transmissions

the gearing is slightly different between 3.8s and 3.3s, maybe it's the final drive ratio, so the power might be a little reduced but it should work fine

the question is if the 2003 has a combined ECM and TCM, i'm not sure what year that started at but it was around 2003 i think

·
3rd gen > all others
2,419 Posts
2001 and 2002 had the same wiring. 2003 seems to be when the van body wiring changed, and 2004 is when the new combined ECM/TCM was introduced (not compatible with earlier years).

Should be able to use 2001-2003 engine, but take note of emissions and EGR valve as they changed between 2002 and 2003.

The transmissions are pretty much the same, but in this case we are talking about a 41AE for AWD, which has a different differential carrier that connects to the PTU. Still an electronic controlled 4 speed with a lockup torque converter. The difference between the 3.3 and 3.8 transmission is: transfer gears. That black steel cover on the end of the transmission in the wheel well covers the transfer gears, and they can be swapped (other threads on this subject on this site). 3.8 has a higher gearing for better mileage to make use of the extra grunt of the larger engine.

With the van being AWD, why would you want to use a 3.3L? It would likely feel underpowered in the heavier van and get worse gas mileage because it has to work harder. I know some foreign export AWD vans came with the 3.3L, so maybe someone with experience can chime in on that set up?

If you're still stuck on using the 3.3L (since you already have it) maybe it can be made a little better with the 3.8 throttle body swap (since you have that on your current engine) and lower ratio transfer gears from at least a 3.3L transmission, or from a Stratus or PT Cruiser 4 cylinder transmission? Unless you travel light by removing the rear seats and spare tire when not needed.

As far as the computer goes, the 3.8 computer should be able to run the 3.3 engine as I believe someone here has done it before. If your van has the security system or SKIM key, you may encounter other issues. If you have the big SKIM key, you won't be able to run a different computer easily or cheaply.

Why does the engine need to be replaced? These early vans 2001-2004 had a problem with the fuel injector wiring harness being too close to the exhaust crossover pipe and melting wires together, causing all sorts of bad running issues, codes, and eventually killing the computer. Make sure all of your wiring is intact and, if you do change engines, look into replacing all of the mounts at the same time.

My background: I bought a 2004 T&C AWD about 2 years ago. Engine had either low oil or too thick of oil during extreme cold spell last year and engine now has a mild knock/shudder (not rod bearings, as I replaced them and condition persists). I bought a 2001 DGC ES AWD for the engine and spare drivetrain, and stripped it down and scrapped the shell last fall. It had autostick (which I want) but the computer system is different so I might end up having to swap all of the wiring, computers, etc. into my 2004 (I kept almost everything). The above is what I've learned doing research on making this happen. Hope it helps you out, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why does the engine need to be replaced?
Always a good question. Every used engine was from a car driven by the old lady who lived on the island and worked at the lighthouse.
If it isn't 'out' - Just to be blunt; people are not very good at judging engine health, either existing or especially replacement- then it will likely last the life of a 2002 vehicle.

2.4 Chrysler's are readily swapped for a 2.0- (Mount and S-plug wire swap) with same PCM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts