The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I did not install the rear main seal correctly--I'm an amateur and without the correct special tool. It burst after a 22-mile free way test drive. However, what is puzzling is this puddle of engine oil on top of the tranny by a hole, which is seemingly the tranny vent tube!

Or is that the vent tube? There's a hole there. See the red arrow.

How could the rear main seal leak send the engine oil there?????

I'm puzzled. Any input would be appreciated!

One angle of the puddle of engine oil:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Another angle:

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
3rd gen > all others
3,769 Posts
Doesn't look like a hole, and there shouldn't be one there. The fluid looks like brake fluid, and the brake reservoir is right above that.

The transmission vent tube is the shift shaft. The cable attaches to the lever that turns the shift shaft, and on the very top is a metal cap that is crimped on so it loosely floats on top, to allow air to escape as fluid gets warm and expands.

Reactions: wtz_ftw

·
Stuck with a 3rd Gen
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't look like a hole, and there shouldn't be one there. The fluid looks like brake fluid, and the brake reservoir is right above that.

The transmission vent tube is the shift shaft. The cable attaches to the lever that turns the shift shaft, and on the very top is a metal cap that is crimped on so it loosely floats on top, to allow air to escape as fluid gets warm and expands.
Thanks for the feedback, first of all, Dan! I really appreciate it!

If my brake reservoir or any part of the braking system is leaking like that, wouldn't I lose brake completely????

That possibility just defies--POSSIBILITY! :)

I have brakes! :)

But I will double check tomorrow when there's light.

Yes, there is a bolt hole there. Don't know what kind of bolt goes there. It's unoccupied at the moment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Road Ripper
1 - 3 of 3 Posts