The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 T&C Ltd has been shutting down the engine off while I am driving, but all the instruments remain active while the tach reads 0. The only way I know this happens is that the ESP light eventually comes on and I am gradually slowing down. I can't restart car while rolling and slipping to neutral. It just continually cranks. I must pull over, put in park and restart. This is different than shutting car off in drive as all instruments go to "zero" in that scenario and the ESP light does not activate. This is very intermittent and I can't duplicate. The difference is the fact that the instruments stay active. Need help big time. Dealer is stymied. Says L25 recall is not applicable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2008 T&C it has done it 3 times now. The worst part is the complete loss of power steering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. The anomoly started when I had the tires replaced at an aftermarket shop. Don't know if it is a coincidence or not. It has happened with either key fob in service. Van is at dealership now but so far it won't shut down on them. Maybe I should hire them to chauffeur my wife and kids about town. That way the van won't ever shut down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Come to think of it the first time it happened for me was shortly after my last oil change and they rotated the tires. Mine is also at the dealership I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealership found a short in the abs wiring, guess we'll see.... I would have thought with an abs issue the system would be smart enough to disable the abs not disable the engine.

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
A common fault around the top of the list causing out of the blue engine stalls is a failing crankshaft sensor. They often fail without throwing a code. You need an o scope to test them. You and I would inspect it's wire harness and connections, verify the 5 volt reference voltage was good, verify continuity on all 3 wires, then change the sensor.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
When you all are having these issues, do me a favor. Had the people at the service department the keys exactly as you have them normally. Don't just hand them your van key, if you have a ton of keys on the same key chain as the van key normally. That way if your issue is with the WIN node due to the weight pulling on the FOBIK, it will show itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The keys are the same ones we use everyday so it is a good point but not applicable to our situation. The ABS short is an odd one. Why would that shut down the engine? I have also read that the EGR could be the culprit, and the crank position sensor. I don't want to abandon Chyrsler Vans as I am sure all manufacturers have issues, but the wife is getting antsy about the ghost in the machine. And I actually like the van and want to eventually update to the next generation but this problem is a bit of a show stopper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This same thing happened to me today. I was driving my 08 Town & Country, and the engine just shut off. I pulled over and it started right up. This is the first time this happened, and we have had the van since new.

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
If this stalling happens file a report on the NHTSA website. This is where recall investigations start. No complaints - no recalls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I see this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience with this same issue. We bought a used 2008 T&C Touring last fall, 87K, one owner, just a very nice van. But after a month, it would randomly shut off when my girlfriend was driving it. This happened a few times and there was no pattern to it. I emailed a few Chrysler dealers in my area and explained the issue. Apparently there was a recall for the 2010 models for this problem, but no recall was issued for the 2008 models. The service manager at Mike Riehl's in Roseville, MI had me stop in and look at the part Chrysler was installing on the 2010 for the recalls.

The shutoff problem was caused by the ignition switch design. The degree of space between the Acc and Run positions was too small, which allowed the key to move backwards into the Acc position and turn off the engine. I bought the part for $9.12 and the service manager installed it (took 10 mins). Basically the part has a little bump to keep the key at the Run position and doesn't allow it to move backwards. After this part was installed, we haven't had the shutoff issue since. The part number is CBN1L251AA 219D00 (SPACER-FOA). Apparently there are 2 versions of this spacer and the dealer needs to use the VIN to look it up.

If this information should go into a different thread, please feel free to copy/paste it into the correct and more useful area.

Just found out there's a recall for this issue, about time! http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/chrysler-minivan-dodge-journey-ignition-switch-recall/

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Hello,

I see this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience with this same issue. We bought a used 2008 T&C Touring last fall, 87K, one owner, just a very nice van. But after a month, it would randomly shut off when my girlfriend was driving it. This happened a few times and there was no pattern to it. I emailed a few Chrysler dealers in my area and explained the issue. Apparently there was a recall for the 2010 models for this problem, but no recall was issued for the 2008 models. The service manager at Mike Riehl's in Roseville, MI had me stop in and look at the part Chrysler was installing on the 2010 for the recalls.

The shutoff problem was caused by the ignition switch design. The degree of space between the Acc and Run positions was too small, which allowed the key to move backwards into the Acc position and turn off the engine. I bought the part for $9.12 and the service manager installed it (took 10 mins). Basically the part has a little bump to keep the key at the Run position and doesn't allow it to move backwards. After this part was installed, we haven't had the shutoff issue since. The part number is CBN1L251AA 219D00 (SPACER-FOA). Apparently there are 2 versions of this spacer and the dealer needs to use the VIN to look it up.

If this information should go into a different thread, please feel free to copy/paste it into the correct and more useful area.

Just found out there's a recall for this issue, about time! http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/01/chrysler-minivan-dodge-journey-ignition-switch-recall/
Sounds like a great Service Manager to work with!

Hope all is well for you going forwards.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had that happen to me in my old Eagle and the dealer said it was the clock spring. He replaced it and no more trouble

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife never had this problem, but the first time I used it for work it stalled on me. This happened one more time. After reading this thread, I took all the keys and other crap off my keyring. This has worked. :)
Thank for the update. If I have any more problems, I will know what to do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 2008 T&C Ltd has been shutting down the engine off while I am driving, but all the instruments remain active while the tach reads 0. The only way I know this happens is that the ESP light eventually comes on and I am gradually slowing down. I can't restart car while rolling and slipping to neutral. It just continually cranks. I must pull over, put in park and restart. This is different than shutting car off in drive as all instruments go to "zero" in that scenario and the ESP light does not activate. This is very intermittent and I can't duplicate. The difference is the fact that the instruments stay active. Need help big time. Dealer is stymied. Says L25 recall is not applicable.
It appears that the L25 / NHTSA 14V-373 is applicable now, as I received that recall notice today.

Unfortunately they don't have parts ready yet to fix it. (You can't rush these things.) They will let us know when the repair part is ready.

They helpfully included instructions on how to complain to the NTHSA if the defect isn't fixed within a reasonable time. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It did this to us, we have a 2011 T&C. Dealer found low fuel pressure and replaced the Fuel Pump. The problem still existed, so they replaced the TEPM. It's been 1 week & $1600.00, so we won't really know if this fixed the problem. Only time will tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts