The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a rebuilt transmission installed 3 months ago, and now I'm seeing smoke come from the hood. It's white and when we check it out it appears to be from where the transmission fluid has overflowed and dripped on the hot engine - thus creating smoke. Any idea what is causing the trans fluid overflow?? Is it related to the newly installed transmission?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Um, I think the trranny sits a bit lower than the engine. Check your tranny fluid level, and if it is OK then perhaps chek around the top of the engine valve cover area and see if the cover gaskets may be leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold front or rear.

KC.

·
Super Moderator
25,499 Posts
I just got a rebuilt transmission installed 3 months ago, and now I'm seeing smoke come from the hood. It's white and when we check it out it appears to be from where the transmission fluid has overflowed and dripped on the hot engine - thus creating smoke. Any idea what is causing the trans fluid overflow?? Is it related to the newly installed transmission?
Overfilled transmission or the cooler lines to the radiator / radiator cooler portion aren't working properly. The "pressurized" transmission fluid will vent through the filler tube. The cooler lines etc. should have been cleaned out during the transmission work. Back to the transmission shop.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Isn't transmission fluid flammable? :eek::eek: You may be flirting with a disaster if you drive that van. Dodge had a recall (IIRC) re: certain of their pickups for a transmission cooler line that would leak and ignite - causing the truck to burn to the ground. I know a guy to which it happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts